In the middle to the late 50s My Dad run a d8 high output ,what was diffence between THAT AND the D8.Maybe some of you old dozer hands can help me out Thanks old dirt
A high output 2U D8 had twin exhaust stacks, only difference I know of.
were not very many of them around. I can't ever recall seeing one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AmDD4taFNI&NR=1
Ran one back in 1957 pulling a 50 ton Brothers 4 wheeled roller. Had a big box filled with dirt. they said 100,000 lbs of dirt. Sure was heavy. Split manifold and straight pipes. couldn;t hear spit at night. got some little rubber ear plugs from drugest and almost got fired because I couldn't get them out to my ears to talk to the boss. Drug that thing around later with a 9U D6 with street pads and a cherry picker mounted on it. What a deal, clouldn't turn only go back and forth. Boss finaly got some bolt on grousers for it but only about a dozen for each side. /What a ride.
Found out this is a friend of mine that used to frequent this forum, of course the rops was added much later, shows the lugging power of those old slow turning engines http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Df0_RiIx2ZQ
Hey that's my High Output! Here is a video of the kids playing on it at the Santa Margarita tractor show. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kHHtRUVucw If you look in the truck section there are some pics and info on it under "are my wide load flags correct". I got whole bunch of info and pics on this old girl if your interested.
Good of ya to let Deas play with your toys LOL, hope you don't mind me posting it
No worries Dan but now we have proof how hard them Aussies are on equipment LoL The HO rpm's were up from 900 to 1,200 bringing the horse power up from 147 to 180. A 2" loner hard nose and hood to leave room for a harmonic dampner mounted on the crank. The air cleaner is also bigger than the standard D8 with two pre cleaners. Different transmission gear ratio's to help it catch and push the scrapers. They also had a bigger fuel tank so they could get a days work without refueling since the fuel was turned up. I put a regular seat on so passengers can ride along.
The twin stack D8 look's & sounds great Mike Mc.Thanks for linking it up DPete.
Those ol machines would lug.Hard to choke them down.The new ones will not lug like that.I enjoyed hearing those ol luggers.
With all the smoke coming out the back stack makes me think one of the back three cylinders is over fueling. So I try not to lug it way down cuz I'm afraid of burning a piston. Since the fresh engine only has about 100 hrs on it I don't want no troubles. Some pics in the link below.
Thanks for all the info on D8 highput thanks Mike Mc and Dpete Nice pictures Old dirt
nice name, old dirt..!!
Who is the more seasoned? olddirt or old dirt?
not me.. I don't even like seasoning..
I don't know who is the most seasoned but I do know this is best EQ site going. Alot of knowledge on these pages. I know I miss sitting in the seat. Thanks old dirt
Has anybody seen a 'bull 8'-what I remember was a HO 2U D8 with a a supercharger-not a turbo. Just curious.