Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Old deere 550 dozer sprocket question

hitmix300 ยท 2022-12-14 17:15

Do we have to remove master link to change sprockets or can we take all the grease out of the tensioner and sneak it out ? This is a 80s deere 550-c with dozer mounted inside

Replies9
  1. #1Mcrafty12022-12-14 17:19

    Don't believe you can get the sprocket out past the track frame with the track connected. I've never had a 550 but I've had three 450's and it wasn't possible with any of those.

  2. #2Welder Dave2022-12-14 22:54

    Wondering if you took some track pads off could move the chain over enough to get the sprockets in and out?

  3. #3Mcrafty12022-12-15 05:46

    That would be a different approach, but it just might work. I always found it harder to remove the track pads than punch out the master pin in most instances, but it would be worth considering for sure.

  4. #4redneckracin2022-12-15 07:29

    just knock out the master pin, alot less messing around

  5. #5Vetech632022-12-15 07:39

    You can always try it..........but you will spit out cuss words you haven't said around people in a long time. If you are easily frustrated, I would drive the master pin out.

  6. #6Old Doug2022-12-15 07:45

    One step forward two steps back if it dosent work best to go with what works.

  7. #7hitmix3002022-12-15 09:26

    thanks for the reply folks, i kind of figured this as much, one of the master pins is new so i would think it will come out alot easier than the other side. as for the track link bushings, are they difficult to turn so the sprocket rides on the other 180 degrees of them, or are they not possible to turn on these machines?

  8. #8Welder Dave2022-12-15 15:33

    You'll need a helper to hold another pin against the master pin so you don't mushroom it. For me, I'd rather replace some pad bolts than fight with master pins.

  9. #9Rob Gunn2022-12-16 09:48

    I have a 550 about the same age. I had to replace the tensioner a few years ago and could not get the master link out of the track. Just as you said, I removed all the grease form the tensioner and then walked the track off to the side. Tricky but doable. Make sure you have the unit jacked up and blocked on that side so you can rotate the track as needed. Took me a full day and used every trick in the book to make it happen. Pry bar, come-a-long with chain, cherry piker, bobcat with forks, 12 pack of beer, comfortable shop chair to set and re-think the next move...