Hey folks Found this Euclid along Rt. 80 in Southeastern AZ about 5 or so miles south of Apache. Thought you all would be interested. Twin engines are cool. The bed looks like it was an aftermarket buy. The only photos I have found show a smaller bed. I know nothing else about it.
a few more. The left drive shaft goes through the front differential to the back.
wow looks like you could boost it and put it back to work!
The bed looks like it must be for something really light and fluffy, like woodchips. Of course, I don't see many trees in the background, so maybe that's not it. On the other hand, maybe that's where all the trees went...
LoL...so now a bohunken dump truck is a tree huggers nightmare???
I am thinking it hauled coal or flyash. Is there a powerplant anywhere nearby?
Could be a landfill body.... we have 40 ton volvo articulated trucks here with 100 yard trash bodies that look like that.
Now that is a big box. I wonder how long those mirror brackets last.
I wondered about the size of the bed too. No power plants anywhere near that I know of, it's in the far southeastern corner of AZ. Lots of hardrock mining in the area. I looked at Google Earth and couldn't find any obvious large mines. No logging either. I have wanted to drive up the road it sits beside to see if I can find anyone living up there. People are particular about trespassing around those parts so I haven't done it yet. I have a house about 1.5 hours away and plan to go back. It does look like it could go right back to work but the bed is in pretty bad shape. The first load dropped in it would probably end up straight on the ground. I would guess they drove it to where it sits, put some cribbing under it and left. I have tons more photos is anyone is interested.
Could it be something made for our armed forces?
yes more pictures please. thansk KoO Published Author
That's about the coolest old truck I have ever seen. I never knew they built a twin-engine unit. Thanks for posting.
Notice the load on the dash, the LL Euc was very poplar in AZ mines in the 50's
I mean the load counters
What does the CTI signs on the door and body stand for?
CTI is an Arizona trucking company. Used to stand for Cement Transpertors Inc. Here is a link http://www.cti-az.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=26&Itemid=3
Quite the old heavy hauler you found there. I think I remember seeing CTI trucks running around the Barstow/Victorville,CA area a few years ago. Jason
Believe it or not, I use to drive this truck. It was one of two that use to be at Mohave generating station, Laughlin, Nevada. It closed in 2006, one had twin Detroit's the other twin Cummins. CTI was the parent company of flyash haulers Inc. Hauled flyash and bottom ash 80 tons at a time. Old days 1976 for me. What a beast.
Yair . . . mohaveb You don't really seriously think you can drop by and casually say . . . (Big grin) I'm sure lots of folks would love to here your recollections of the machine, the transmissions, the engines, how it shifted, problems . . . anything at all. That machine is part of history and you are one of the few folks who has actually operated it which puts you in an interesting and privileged position and I for one would like to hear your views. Cheers.
yeah more info :update:update:update:update:update:update:woohoo opcorn
Well the one in the picture at the top of this thread does have the twin Cummins engines. Must be from before the days of 1710's? Or was it so they could use two smaller transmissions? I'd be guessing the Detroit powered truck was running a pair of 110's.
Resurrecting an old thread I started almost 10 years ago. Sorry, life got in the way. More pictures finally on the way.
Looks like it has the typical "auto" transmission used in most Euclids of that era. I am thinking a 5 or 6 speed, but not sure from the interior photo. Maybe mid 50's vintage?
That sure is a complected truck! What with the twin engines and twin Allison transmissions! Guess you had to build a truck with what was available at the time. I sure would hate to be the guy who had to work on those engines. If they were like any "normal" 855 Cummins with the fuel pump mounted to the left side of the engine how could you get to the pump on the right engine?
Uh, Guys.… I'm seeing 3406A Cats in the pics above. Looks like Bluox hit it at the same time.
Shift valve on the trans looks like a 4speed forward- 2speed reverse, 5840-5940 Allison. For some reason Reverse 2 is blocked in the shift quadrant.
I hereby nominate this as the coolest truck in the known history of the world. Anyone want to second that motion?
Now that you mention it, I guess I was going by mohaveb's comment and what looked like Cummins beige paint that and the air compressor in about the right location for an 855 Cummins. Wonder if by chance it was a repower job? Not sure when 3406A Cats came out but the rest of truck just looks too old for those to be original. Have to wonder why the choice of major components. Was this truck designed and built before say the 1710 Cummins and the Allison DP8000 transmission existed. If so then I'm sure the 3406A Cat engines were not original!
I see the 3406's too but Cummins or of course Detroit would've been factory.Maybe 6-110's or 335 Cummins paired up...
When I came across it a 10 years ago I was dumbfounded and became more so as I looked closer. TWO ENGINES!! The driveshaft for the rear axle goes through the front axle??? It is amazing. Last time I was there my wife and sister were with me and after taking some photos I looked over at them and they were laughing at me. Women, sheeshh. They just have no idea. So what if I was acting like a 10 year old.
That's exactly the reason for the choice of components, especially a suitable single power shift transmission. Got a little quick research in today and if those 5640 transmissions (My bad... I thought 5860's) are original, that truck was built between 1957 and 1964. May have had either 6-110 or 335 small bore engines.
What makes more noise than a 6-110?..... 2 of them.
https://picclick.com/EUCLID-50-TON-REAR-DUMP-WESTERN-CONTRACTING-1952-8x10-362225484556.html
NOISE? What NOISE? That there is music!
Well looks like I need to go out in the barn and dig around. i believe I have some old Euclid sales brochures, but they may be from the 1960's so probably too new to show this twin engine model. Have to wait till late morning after wife is gone, with hand in splint from surgery she doesn't like me doing too much these days outside! The only twin engine set up I even got close was a genset the company had at a small quarry near here years ago. That had a mirror image pair of 6-71 Detroits coupled together to run one generator. They also had some small, maybe 15 to 20 ton Euclids they used there that summer. Not sure how old they were but do know at least one of them was old enough that the Cummins engine did NOT have a PT pump! It had the old Disc fuel system.
I've seen that one before, It was custom modified by Western. It had two 12V71s side by side. Not sure how the driver could see between the 4 exhaust stacks.
You have to click on the {see more} button in that link, it's powered by tan engines.
Evening Fellas , here’s some specs on the 1lld Built from 1951-1953 Originally powered by a pair of Cummins NHRS-600 for a combined 600hp Trans was a pair of Allison 3 speeds Empty weight was 103,3000lbs In all there were 46 built Western would own 34 of those units In 1957 it was replaced with the 3lld(r50). That one came with the twin 6-110 and twin 4 sped Allisons. In all there were 7 of these made.
I'll have to dig in the library now, IIRC was equipped with Cummins engines originally, but later had the 12V's.
The big western truck was originally built with Cummins NHRS-600. The engines were later swapped to Nrto-6-bi. Then in 1960 it had two 12v71s put in.
Ya beat me to it.
Sorry to steal your thunder lol
Nope, saved me some serious digging.
Hope this thread pulls Scrub Puller out of the Scrub.
Kind of surprises me that they needed all that complication of twin engines for only a 50 to truck. But then I guess Detroit and Cummins had not got the horse power up on their engines yet. When I started the quarry was running R-35 Euclids with non-turbo 12V-71's and the larger quarry a few miles away was running R-50's with non-turbo 16V-71's. Then Mack started building the off-road trucks and that other quarry was running M-65's with the twin turbo 16V-71's. They did have a problem one day with one of the M-65's. Seems the working pit was on the top of hill across the main road from the crushing plant. Loaded trucks ran down a steep hill and had to make a 90º left turn at the bottom then cross the road. Good thing the DP8000 transmissions had good strong hydraulic retarders! Bad thing is a hydraulic retarder does not work for **** if you blow one of the -40 hoses going to the trans-cooler! That happened right as the truck left the loading face. Loader operator say the oil spraying out but could not get drivers attention on radio and the Mack could out run the Hough H-400 loader. To make matter worse, if that even seems possible, there were a few guys working in a drainage ditch for the road construction at the bottom of the hill right where the truck needed to make the hard left turn. So now you have about 130 to 140 tons of truck and stone heading down a steep hill with no retarder and even under the best of circumstances brakes that were barely adequate. Well the men working in the ditch had been around these trucks enough to know the sound of that truck was not at all right and they scattered like crazy. Next good thing is they had built up a nice tall berm along that ditch at the bottom of the hill. What happened next was violent but somewhat of a miracle. When truck hit the berm it literately knocked the front axle out of the truck which in turn dropped the front bumper down into the berm. Weight of truck and stone kept the forward motion up and truck did a forward flip and landed upside down on top of the stone that had been in the dump body! Per company policy driver had actually been wearing his seat belt and despite some bumps and bruises walked way from the accident, heart probably took a day or two to get back to normal! Repairs on truck would fill up another thread! And that would be just what I can recall these many years latter!
OK, a little more On Topic, sorry for going off the deep end with upside down Mack story! Found the old binder with some Euclid info in it and below is the page on the LLD models.
The goats I fought with at the Mississippi lime quarries were 5LLDs , Wore to hell and back. Only had TWO of those that I ever saw and were always broken. The more common were R15s with 110s single axle single engine.
I can imagine those twin power trucks were a nightmare when stuff started wearing out, shift linkage, throttle linkage, etc. trying to synchronize 2 engines tuned by different mechanics would be a pita. Knew a guy with a twin powered Euclid crawler that gave up on it because of too many partial overhauls. He didn't really realize both sides should be done together.
Twin engines common throttle, Allisons but worked off internal speed govern against engine speed so one got slack the pull got slacked the other engine and driver took all the work, not good and I avoided those beasts as much as possible. R15s were fun as when the brakes went out the operators would skid them down the haul road cut wall to slow them, would destroy the right side mirror mount, just abuse to every moving part of them. 6/110 would hold back NADA!!!
Did they make a smaller model than the R 15 ? I drove one that was single axle with a 6 71 and a 5 speed doing logging road construction when i was 16. I know about no brakes backing down a hill to the spread cat with ballast for a culvert i let it fall out of reverse on a little flat and away i went backwards. Luckily it wasnt far to the cat , the operator knew what was up and stepped back from flagging me and i plowed into the arch on the back of a D7 ,no harm done . A bit of dirt thru the back screen of the cat and me darn near having heart failure. Another unforgetable lesson at the school of hard knocks. Who would ever let a 16 yo. kid drive stuff like that these days!
Well going by the records I have if it was a 6-71 then it should have been a R-15. There were R-10, R-12 and R-13 but those all would have been running 4-71's The R-10 is shown to have a 10 spd Fuller and the others are 5 spd Fuller. The R-12 was built from 1963 to 1966.
Thanks kshansen . I ran across another one similar a few years ago,but someone had put a tandem rear end under it. That would be a great use for those planetary s ive got at least you would have brakes.