I have a Euclid R18 probably early 50's possibly late late 40's, 3 piece windsheild, cummins 220 engine that runs great, needs a clutch, does anyone know if its worth anything? I heard that vintage collectors might be interested in them if anyone has information where i could get ahold of someone or a club who is into this thing that would be great, i would hate to scrap the thing but i was thinking of it. I havent taken any pics of it yet but if anyones interested i can.
If I said yes I'd probably have to sleep in the cab! Now if it had a Detroit Diesel might be worth the sleeping accommodations! Just out of curiosity, does the Cummins have a PT pump or the earlier pump style? If possible would like to see some pictures, many years ago I did work on some of that vintage.
Its my ol mans truck he picked up for scrap a while back and i heard it run but ill take some pics tomorrow, i didnt even know they made pt pumps that long ago. Speaking of detroits we did an engine for an r35 years ago, a 1271, that thing was awsome lol.
Where in the Hudson valley are you located? You could try the Hudson Valley Oldtime power association in Hudson they might want it. I don't know how they are financially they might only accept donations. Steve
Try listing it on the buy/sell/trade forum over at the Historical Construction Equipment Association www.hcea.net
Nice Mitch thank you very much i appreciate it, and kshanson it is a pt system, and here are the pics.
Looks very familiar, actually other than some rust looks very straight for what I bet it has been through over the years, if only it could talk! If my memory is right I think the PT pumps came out in early to mid 1950's. Very possible or should I say almost definitely that this is not the original engine, then again who knows? As for the R35 with the 12V-71 our last one left the plant last winter. Sad thing is other than a little freshening up on the engine it was a good old truck, looked about like your R18! It was sold at auction. I wasn't there when new owner came to pick it up it but was told was a bit too tall on the lowboy so to get it lower they took a torch and hacked the front end apart. When my boss asked why they did that he was told all they wanted was the transmission the rest was going for scrap. I had hoped some small mom and pop quarry had bought it and would put it to work after some new injectors and a tune up.
I cant find anything online to prove it but im pretty sure it is the original engine for the truck, everything seems to look to nice in there to look like it has been changed from a detroit to a cummins. We have done a few conversions on some on road trucks one we took a old wore out cat and put a 8V-92 detroit in and a few others we took the detroits out and converted them to cummins power and each time we had to make the linkages, engine mounts, hoses and alot of other stuff different. This does not look that way at all, plus my ol man said when they built 84 in the 60's they had a ton of R50's with V12 cummins's in them, i forgot the model of the engine, he said you could order those trucks either with the cummins or the detroits, and that why most old euclids you see have detroits in them is that they were cheaper.
I remember growing up those working in East Kingston, and widening some of the four lanes on the 199 to the Rhinecliff Bridge in the 60's. That was a long time!. ago
V12s were probably the VT-1710 or maybe an earlier version of that engine. Worked on a few of them over the years. A sister plant of ours near Syracuse used to run some R-50 that came with 16-V71 Detroits due to noise complaints from neighbors the eventually repowered them with the 1710 Cummins when time for overhaul came on the Detroits.