Hey friends I have a Mitsubishi bd2g that was given to me that hasn't run in a few years,there's about two inches of old fuel in the tank,if I ( siren) drain the old fuel out will it leave an air pocket in the fuel system when I go to fire it up ,thanks for the help many more questions to come :bash foozzer
No, it won't let enough air into the fuel system to matter. But draining the tank won't get all the gunk out either, if you're going to get your hands dirty anyway, drain the fuel into a bucket, let it settle, pour it back through the tank into another clean bucket. You'll be able to tell real quick if there's much LOOSE gunk.
Thanks delmer,,time to get dirty
If it has a cap that allows you to do so I would blast it good inside with a pressure washer after it is empty. Drain well again and let it dry good. I have seen a vacuum cleaner exhaust used to run into the tank to dry it out.
Like OIH said use a pressure washer, I have always used a steam cleaner and had great success. The steam will clean out the crud and will kill algae also if you get it hot inside this also will dry the tank out quickly so water inside really isn't a concern.
Is there a visible problem with the fuel? If not I would leave it alone and fire up by a few years you mean 2 to 5 years or 15 we have pretty good luck with diesel here sitting a few years
The fact that it had only a few inches would cause me concern about condensation moisture in it.