Can't remember if I posted this here, or not. Came across it, again and thought I'd share...
I see many of the function are shaft driven like the old Cats. Do this machine have similar knucklebusters or some other method of engaging the shafts to the gear boxes? Just curious.
I ran a 1972 cat 14E and I could bring the front wheels off the ground with no kickback. Not sure if the E had a different setup or what. I know what you mean about the knuckle buster, as soon as the blade touched the ground snap. H
I love the old videos! Thanks for posting it. DB
Thx for posting. Now I feel like I'm missing out and should go buy an M100 right away.
Maybe we can post a link to this vid on the thread of new operators complaining of not enough comfort features DB
Thanks for posting. Great video. Like Planedriver said, makes me want one!!!!
I like watching this nice video from an old Allis Chalmers Grader, thanks for sharing
I can't help but wonder how long it would take to grease all those u-joints.
Cat had hydraulic controls some time before 1972. The E are a great machine. My 1937 Model 11 and 1952 Model 212 have knuckle busters. They are a near straight gears on the live shaft that you just push or pull in to engage. If you hit the end of the stroke or when they get worn bad, they slam your hands bad. Not something one is likely to forget soon. I can pick the front wheels up with them also but you need a good hand on the levers. I'm not old enough to have have every operated a unworn one. I am just curious if other grader manufactures used the same type of live shaft.
The steering on the E was hydraulic, as was the wheel lean, and blade sideshift. Blade lift, circle shift, and circle turn were gear driven. It was the only grader I ever ran with a 13 foot moldboard. It seemed to have the same motor as a 966 by it's sound, but I never really found out. No muffler, just a straight pipe. In 4 winters It snapped 3 axles always on the wing side.
If you watch the video, You'll see that most, if not all controls are hydraulic, the orbit motors drive the driveshafts, in question. In many ways, AC's were ahead of their time...
Thanks, That answers my question. My phone video was not big enough for these old eyes to see the orbit motors. I had not heard of any other manufacturer than Cat using mechanical gears.
Back when operators were men!
Thanks for sharing. I like the way the wheel lean bell crank works. Sure works smooth compared to my cat12 and doesn't kick at the end of the travel
I might be wrong, but the only hydraulic function I can see is the MB sideshift. Every control he pulls starts a shaft turning.
No kidding. I'd go home at night trying to figure out which hurt more. Palms of my hands? Hips from standing all day on a sloped roadbed? It was a tossup for sure. Air Conditioning?? Who needs that wussy stuff, run with the doors and windows open!!!!
That's what I saw. Even with that, it had some very nice features. I was very impressed with the HP numbers!!!!
She was probably a Cadillac in her day. Call me a whimp, but I would at the very least like a cab. We always shoulder paving jobs in the rain, and I don't think I would care for that in the fall. One thing I will say, is that a lot of these babies are probably still on the go. Do you think these new machines will still be on the move when they get that old?
And today, they can be repaired, as easily as they were when they were made. In 2 years computer controls are obsolete, and the diagnosis software will be antique, in 5 -10 years...