Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Old Hyster 4 cyl too lean propane

Smallvilleforklift · 2025-05-22 11:45

Weirdest thing I’ve had this old white forklift four-cylinder very basic. I think all it has is electronic distributor ignition no computer. All of a sudden started cutting out after running for about one minute. Try to keep it running with starter fluid, which did not work. So I disconnected the propane and let it run completely out of propane And now it runs and will start fine if I keep it going with starter fluid. Any help would be appreciated I’m guessing this carburetor type needs to adjustment and I cannot find a fuel filter anywhere in the lines. Thank you in advance

Replies3
  1. #1IceHole2025-05-22 12:59

    Tty cleaning vaporizer (evaporator? Whatever it's called). Gets loaded with tar like goo.

  2. #2TD242025-05-23 19:57

    A pic of the machine, close in on the LP tank connections end, and a shot of the LP system as seen under the hood on the engine. Model and Serial number will be helpful for us to seek components.

  3. #3willie592025-05-23 21:35

    As stated above, a lot more info needed. But like Icehole stated, the propane vaporizer will foul over time, I've had to replace many of them. I've tried rebuilding them with rebuild kits, found out quickly, to heck with that, just put a new one on it. And if it has a vacuum lock off valve, same thing, replace it. The filter is typically a funky looking manifold thingy where the hose coming from the propane tank connects to the machine. And you could have propane carburetor issue as well, they do get gunked up inside also.