Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Old John Deere Dozer

gggraham ยท 2009-05-03 15:37

Saw this old beauty for sale at the side of the road. I had to stop and take a couple pictures, I thought I would share them. Maybe some John Deere guys will recognize this dozer.

Replies17
  1. #1stumpjumper832009-05-03 15:43

    looks like a deere mc or a 40 but prolly a mc.

  2. #2td25c2009-05-03 19:28

    That's a neet looking John deere gggraham.I think it was cool how the manufacturers during that time like john deere,allis-chalmers,international harvester,oliver used the same factory colors And some grill & sheetmetal parts as there rubber tired farm tractors.

  3. #3stumpjumper832009-05-06 00:03

    ok, so the answer is....

  4. #4Digger10002009-05-06 09:40

    Believe it's a 40, as the MC didn't have a perforated grill.

  5. #5cowdogteamroper2009-05-06 11:15

    it a 2 cycle johnny popper gas engine and it sure is rare

  6. #6RHIT022009-05-06 12:12

    I spent a lot of time raking hay and various other odd jobs on a wheeled JD 40... Is it safe to assume the two tall levers brake the track per side.

  7. #7JAK52009-05-06 14:51

    Man that is a nice old Deere. A good friend of mine has one just like it with a blade, but it isn't in as nearly as nice shape. We have a John Deere 350 with a log loader on it that we use daily.

  8. #8stumpjumper832009-05-06 16:16

    I was thinking the grill isnt like my m tractor and both of the family 40 & 420 dozers have brush guards covering up the grills.

  9. #9gggraham2009-05-06 17:39

    Well you guys have a better idea than I do...I just stopped and took the picture because it looked kinda neat and in real good shape. Wish I had taken some close up pictures as well.

  10. #10dieseldave2009-05-07 00:09

    I wonder which of the final drives is bad? :tong I never saw one that hadn't had a blown FD at one time or another. Neat little machine, though. I never saw one with such long track frames.

  11. #11stumpjumper832009-05-07 07:34

    I hear you dave, bullseye... them and the steering clutches... I'll have to find pics of the one in family with a blade and a winch...

  12. #12ejb172009-05-07 08:01

    Looks like a 40 with MC sprockets and the optional 5 roller UC available for the 40.:usa

  13. #13ejb172009-05-08 10:05

    I guess it could be an early 420 but the real way to tell if it had a water pump or not. The 40's did not have water pumps. This is a pcture of my 1957 420C and at a glance they look comparable.

  14. #14I AM IRONMAN2009-10-04 22:14

    They are both great looking tractors! There are a few green ones still working in my area, doing ranch work.

  15. #15Steve Frazier2009-10-04 22:34

    2 cylinder gas engine, they were 4 strokes. It looks like either an A or B chassis made into a dozer, I've never seen one like this before. Nice find!

  16. #16powerjoke2009-10-06 08:43

    neat to look at but all i can say is THANK GOD FOR TECHNOLOGY lol Pj

  17. #17ejb172009-10-06 20:18

    They were kind of based on the tractor model with the same number. Mine is a 420C, the crawler version of the 420 wheeled tractor. 420C's were produced from 1956-1958. Yea, technology is great but doing a little leveling or piling with the old girl is pretty satisfying.