Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Old John Deere not wanting to start/run

Tonka Toys ยท 2018-06-11 01:58

I have this 1956 John Deere 70 (gas) that would not start last summer. Was busy and after cleaning up the spark plugs and verifying fire on one of the plugs (and attempting to induce ether into the carb - not so easy with the oil bath air cleaner) it would not fire. I just left in alone and used other equipment, but now need to use it this summer. While servicing my other old JD I noticed in the operators manual that there is a fuel screen so took it out and it looked fine. I also primed the carb and charged up the battery. Lo and behold the old beast fired right up (electronic ignition). Good? Yes, but quit running after about 4-5 minutes. Not good. After a while i tried it again and same thing, stopped after 4-5 minutes. My guess here would be possible clog in fuel system (tank to carb) or a coil issue. Don't really think it is a coil problem because outside temp was cool and only ran a few minutes. I had cleaned the sediment bowl before and the fuel in it is clear. If anyone can lend an idea I would be most appreciative. Thanks. Gary

Replies4
  1. #1Tarhe Driver2018-06-11 08:58

    Gary, try posting your question in the John Deere Two-Cylinder Club of Facebook. While it is a closed group, admission is free, and easy, and like HEF, many of the 50,000 members there are most willing to, and happy to, share their knowledge and wisdom. Neill

  2. #2Delmer2018-06-11 14:15

    When it dies after a few minutes, try to start it with starting fluid, or just dribbled gas. Or, check for spark. Not too complicated. A two cylinder forum might save you some work though.

  3. #3old-iron-habit2018-06-11 16:31

    Do you have oil pressure. Your seventy should have a small oil line that goes to a diaphragm in the sediment bulb system. If no oil pressure to hold the gas open it will shut the gas off and shortly after the engine will die. Check that first and insure you got oil pressure in your engine and in that line. Could be a hole in the diaphragm, not uncommon to be messed up when folks are not familiar with that system and monkey with it.

  4. #4Tonka Toys2018-06-12 13:13

    Great input Old-Iron. I will check it out and i actuallyl should have known this. Thanks. will let you know results. Gary