My daughter and I were hiking awhile back up on this famous mountain by us (Mt. Beacon, former home of the steepest inclined railway in the world) and I see on the map there's a "dozer junction" up ahead. She's in the lead and suddenly announces "hey Dad, there's a bulldozer up here". So, yeah, close, but it's some old huge track loader that's been shot up by the Billy Bob's of the world. Checking her over, no ID on her anywhere but I think it's an old Cat tractor before they built there own loader assembly called a Traxton, where the term traxcavator comes from. Had a 2 cylinder pony engine, LOTS of levers. I can'tell post pics here but if someone would PM me, I can send them pics to their cell to get them up here.
Use the cable you charge the phone with and one end should be a usb. Plug the usb into a computer and get the pics off the phone and into the computer
Until one of you young techy physically comes over to my computer to send pics, that's NOT going to happen. Gave up years ago on this, way too frustrating.
Find any 5 year old kid and give them a popsicle to do it for you. We in-patiently wait to see the photos.
When I find one I'll send him your way to work on your typing skills.
Posting pictures for Tuney443. The fuel tank looks like an old Caterpillar??
Thx Metalman, that was fast.You're my new go to guy for posting pics.lol 99% sure it is a Cat but under the Traxton banner as previously stated. I think what happened was that this tractor was being used for site work for the construction/ maintenace of the fire tower, hotel, and casino on the mountain ,she died and was just left there. It's so deep in the woods now I think the only way to practically get her out would be an airlift and with the "green" people who own the mountain now, that's not going to happen.
It is a Caterpillar HT-4. It's basically just a D4 7U with a Trackson loader attachment. Look on the rear of the engine on the drivers side under the cylinder head and there'll be a serial number plate. Another one is located on the back of the machine on the left hand side about halfway up.
Thanks for confirming about it being a Trackson loader on the old Cat d9gdon. If I ever hike up there again I'll bring a smalll wire brush to get the #'s.
pretty sweet find
Cool old Traxcavator. There is a short lever right in front of the pony motor on the left side at the base of the head as sitting on the seat. Pull that lever as it is a compression release, and pulling on the fan belt to keep it from slipping, try to turn the engine with the fan. These old girls are pretty tough and if the exhaust was covered and its not stuck, its not uncommon to start one after setting for ten or more years. BIL and I started a Cat 12 grader he bought last summer that had sat for 17 years. Got it going and drove it out of the trail in one day. If the back serial number plate is tore off as is common in the woods, you can find the numbers stamped into the case between the rivet stubs where the plate was mounted.
I guess you forgot about the part that this has been broke down in the forest on top of a remote mountain for most likely decades. Only access to it is on a narrow hiking trail. Really academic anyway as the remains of that engine has been ravaged by time, weather, and vandals.