Well I have been at it again with the Old Allis. Had started to do finish work on a terrace head below the new house almost three weeks ago, close to the septic so I had planned on being delicate then as I shoved a load above the top of the terrace and backed down teeth dressing the grade it burst a curl cylinder line. Moved the old machine quickly to a spot away from the work leaving a narrow snail trail and shut it down. Measured the blown hose inspected the remainder and decided ALL the shovel hoses had to go. Total lost 7 gallons oil in matter of moments. Ordered replacements from Discount Hydraulic, great price as they beat ALL the local shops by no less than $350 including shipping on Gates hose and fittings. #16 37 degree JIC and 3/4" NPT common sizes on 1" hose. Well as of today, after three brutal heat days I have all ten shovel hoses replaced, 8 cylinder two for the feed to the MP bucket. Cut crimp sleeves and hoses from lower cylinder heads fittings so could get at the NPT 3/4" fittings there, coming out was easier than going back in but done and filled and air exercised out. As with all these style machines, SOO much room to work with!!
When I was a kid dad had an IH TD-9 with a Hough loader. It was a low pressure high volume hydraulic system. One day the main supply line to the valve body blew. It covered dad in about 30 gallons of hot oil in the time it took for the motor to shut down.
Allis was similar to IH in the lower pressure higher volume hydraulics, mine was dumping oil with no stick action, just bypass oil. That is the reason I replaced the remaining hoses, no need for a oil shower nor a fire on this machine for me!! Old tired iron can work us all to death!
Good call on replacing all those old hoses, and well done on getting them changed, not a fun job obviously!
Yes, good job. I have not considered ordering hoses online. I am always in a tight when I need one.
I had checked around when I decided to order online, looked at field replace-able fittings, too expensive initial shock; then to a local hydraulics shop and a local auto parts house, both drastically higher for the same Gates hose and fittings with a healthy lead time to get correct fittings and volume of hose not just will work units or something I would need to convert the tractor for. Even with freight surprised me one for time to deliver and cost including delivery. Local shops would not even consider backing off prices when I asked if could close to match to try to continue to use local. And NO, NOT FUN, just a pile of grief changing them, these machines were cutting edge almost half a century ago but did not figure the need to replace these lines, most tractors of this age became scrap years ago. In the "Old Days" we would remove the shovel bucket, unpin the lift cylinders and disconnect lines then lift the shovel frame to access the lines other ends, uppers were easily enough unpinned and rolled to access from top. Too heavy for my other machine and too much grief for well time engaged cylinder pins as well line popped and bucket in wrong position to remove(dumped). I did well enough with the old school skills, tools and equipment I have. I hope to replace the old beast in a few years with something more effective for our uses, probably a steel tracked excavator but that will be some later.
BTW DMiller, what model is the old Allis? When I was young, 50 yrs + ago my dad owned a HG6B & an HG7B (Do I have that right??), the 6 was direct drive & 7 was power shift..............
HD Series tractors were all basically the same, HD5&6G 's were good light loaders, HD5&6 dozers were a little too light but worked decent. Mine is a HD7G, one of the last as FA phased out the Allis engines in the next series HD7G-B and drove the company into oblivion a few years later with dependability out the window. It is old, cranky, hard to locate some parts for but actually relatively dependable as well reasonably easy to repair or at least tear down and reassemble as opposed to some Cat and Deere units I have worked on. I started working heavy equipment when this machine was close to new, remember well the days of MO Dept. of Conservation, Forestry and MODOT all using more Allis units than anyone else. Fairly certain this one evolved from or was a part of those days.
Here are a few pictures of my dad's HD6 Dozer, likely dating back to around 1957. I got to run it some at the tender age of 8-10 yrs old & was I ever on top of the world!! Got any more pics of your 7 loader? Is yours power shift?
1957 I was but a tyke, HD6 was light enough he could load the Detroit Diesel monster on that old GMC to haul it. I am thinking blade and all a HD6 weighs around 18500. Mine is power shift although it is more a tender shift, must hard decal before swapping speeds or could blow a pinion. I actually own 1 & 3/4, one is for parts as engine was partially dismantled and useless when I bought it. I actually like the cage on it better and will eventually swap hard noses and cage out this winter. The Ulrich MP bucket is actually too heavy for the machine, is somewhat useful at times but I will end up installing the GP off the donor after I rebuild it.
Actually it was not a Detroit in the HD6 dozer. Was either an Allis Chalmers or Buda not sure which. Anyhow it was definitely a 4 cycle engine & quiet running. I believe the HD5's had the Detroit's in them, 2-71 I think. BTW, what is the HP & weight of your 7G loader? Also, see this attached link of this 1974 Fiat Allis 7GB loader. It was owned by a cousin of mine who bought it new & just sold it at auction about 3 years ago. In later years he did not use it much at all. It was a real gem. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZY_72394mzI
That early would have been the Buda Lenova, the 3 cyl Detroit was used in the earlier years of the 6, I almost bought one of those. I almost bought an early 7G-B had the 6cyl. engine and was faster than mine with the Allis 4 but $$ talks and the fella that had it considered it a gold mine I wasn't buying. Far as I know it went to auction then to scrap as the rails, rollers and sprockets were shot, lots of small discrepancies with few to none parts available. I play hell finding or making or rebuilding the equipment on mine. By the manuals mine is 105hp/1750 rpm, with the MP weighs in at 26,000, swap to a GP and probably more like 23/23800. I managed to dig the foundation hole for our house with mine, between failure interruptions!
I have replaced some hose's in a tight spot. I tied some baler twine to the old hose, pulled it out, leaving twine as a trail. Tied baler twine end to new hose, and tapped over new hose end (to preclude nasty bottom pan grime from going in) and pulled new hose in with the twine.
Routing wasn't so bad, getting my hamhocks down in there to thread in the fittings and needless to say BOTH hams in there at the same time was!! I do alright, was a wrench for over 25 years full time before started last career run of 22 years, been at it a long time and although hard to handle $$ wise I can still hack up a perfectly good wrench to serve the needs of constricted locations and movements! As I have stated previously, old Fat Alice and I started off adult life working around the same time we can understand each other between the snorts and cusses!