Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Old Macks on Craigslist

alskdjfhg ยท 2017-06-01 22:29

https://houston.craigslist.org/hvo/6154308826.html https://houston.craigslist.org/cto/6141177995.html Thinking about taking a look at these old girls. Can't afford them, and don't even have a CDL yet, but those old macks sure are pretty trucks......

Replies20
  1. #1crane operator2017-06-02 21:17

    https://fayar.craigslist.org/atq/6153531898.html $4,500 Honestly those old mack's don't interest me too much, except to look at. I'm about 6'6" and those cabs look a might tight for me.

  2. #2crane operator2017-06-02 21:22

    Actually- I've always liked the look of the superliners, https://joplin.craigslist.org/hvo/6100232018.html I find this one nice looking truck, but he wants $25,000 for it and unless I remove the bed and put a 5th wheel on it, it won't do anything my old ford 9000 winch truck/flatbed won't, and I don't have $3,000 in the ford. But my ford doesn't have all that shiny.

  3. #3Junkyard2017-06-02 22:13

    You'd look like the Schriners in their clown cars getting out of a B model crane op. The superliner wouldn't be bad and depending on that spec he may not be out of line on asking price. My buddy Tocci has had several of them and two were V8's and very well tuned.....even the 350 in the other ran pretty darn good.

  4. #4DMiller2017-06-13 17:28

    Last B I was in I was 22 years old 150# and shoe horned into the cab. Seat was pretty well on the floor and the ride was as bad as on the floor! B63 tandem dump at Mack St. Louis had a Thermodyne in it on a triplex trans. Bad bugger to operate!

  5. #5hvy 1ton2017-06-13 18:00

    Superliners are my all time favorite Mack. The more I think about it, i might have a square hood problem.

  6. #6kshansen2017-06-13 18:14

    Not in a B model but rode with a guy in an R model with a triplex transmission. He was taking a test run with the truck after I had found a problem with a bad fuel line from the tank. This was in a combination of city driving and highway running pulling a loaded trailer for half the trip about a half hour run one way. If I didn't know better I would have thought those twin sticks were not connected to anything. He nice a slowly flipped one at a time making no grinding and barely noticeable change in smooth flow of power only the sound of the ENDt673 to let you know there had been a change in the work it was doing. All this while carrying on a relaxed conversation.

  7. #7DMiller2017-06-13 19:16

    Superliners were just coming onto the real world as I started working these old machines, the old Maxidyne engines were a HOSS! 676 cu in that could out pull most any other truck built or engine produced ci to ci. The old cabs had been squared at the firewall to change from standard R series to the Superliner hoods, they were something when new. my first log distance drive job was in a F series short wb cabover tied to a screaming Thunderbird Thermoking refrigerated van.

  8. #8Junkyard2017-06-13 21:06

    I've been around and wrenched on three superliners. 2 V8's and one 350. Way cool trucks, I like how low the V8's sat between the frame rails. With the right guy turning the screws those old V8's would really work and roll some coal

  9. #9treemuncher2017-06-13 22:43

    My first big truck was a 1965 B61 with a quadraplex. It was the heaviest of the heaviest that could be ordered. I purchased it with about 60k miles on it back in the early 90's from a farmer whose brother ordered it for the construction company that they both worked for. I got pretty smooth with the old twin stick whether with or without clutch. That was THE HOTTEST and slowest ride I've ever had, plus it sat way too low to the ground. But, it did haul my PC200 and other equipment around for the first few years. It was sold to an equipment dealer in Florida who rebuilt it to its former glory and used it to deliver equipment. He sent me pics after it was done and it was the bomb. My second truck was an RW613 Superliner. It was soooo much better than the B61 and I liked the 13 spd but the old 6 cyl was a bit slow. It was sold to an exporter and some lucky Nigerean is riding around in a decent truck. My third and last Mack is an RD822s and it is currently for sale. After putting a pencil to paper after a divorce, I decided it was more efficient and cheaper to hire out my occasional moves of my bigger stuff. I bought the RD because the dozer (88k lbs) caused the dog's tail to wag.....so I bought a bigger dog and that solved the problem. 500 hp E-9, Mack 12 spd, triple framed, 50k rears, 20k lift and 20k steer with only 92k miles on a 92 model year. Awesome truck but I just don't need it. I would love to see it restored and used just as the old B61 was. And yes, it is on Craigslist.

  10. #10Junkyard2017-06-13 23:00

    How about a link....I looked for it but can't find it. Or PM me what you're asking etc.

  11. #11DMiller2017-06-14 08:09

    That would be a TANK for a tractor!! Man Mack could build machines in the day, anymore I believe they are a little on the tender side. Quadraplex was a two fisted monster to shift, only know of a handful that could do it effortlessly.

  12. #12treemuncher2017-06-14 08:52

    https://clarksville.craigslist.org/hvo/6176229726.html Thanks for asking for the link. My ad had expired and I was not aware of it.

  13. #13Junkyard2017-06-14 08:57

    No worries, I was going crazy looking for it! Thanks

  14. #14treemuncher2017-06-14 09:01

    Every time my wife or mother tell me that I'm driving them crazy, I respond that they are well within walking distance and that they don't need my chauffeur services to get there.

  15. #15Junkyard2017-06-14 09:40

    That's awesome, I'll have to remember that!

  16. #16kshansen2017-06-14 11:15

    I hope you hide all the cast iron frying pans before you go to sleep at night!

  17. #17treemuncher2017-06-14 13:58

    Never. I expect to be fed in the AM! I'm known for some quick come-backs at times. Another favorite: When I'm called a smart/wise-ass the regular is "Better than being a dumb-ass" Any store that asks, "May/Can I help you?" ....... "thanks, but I'm beyond help." This usually exudes blank stares and they don't know how to react. Try it sometime....

  18. #18Junkyard2017-06-14 22:11

    Now that's some creepy **** right there. I say the exact same thing...... word for word. Brother from another mother perhaps?

  19. #19alskdjfhg2017-06-14 23:27

    I might go look at one of those old macks, getting to play with those sticks would be too cool. If I didnt have to take some engineering summer classes, id probably getting my CDL. Absoultley no money making need for a semi right now, hopefully one day... That red RD822s looks like an awesome truck.

  20. #20DMiller2017-06-15 07:35

    You all may enjoy this, been awhile but I can imagine doing this again: