Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

old mechanical tracked loader with backhoe bucket

trombeur · 2024-02-17 10:55

vecchia pala meccanica cingolata con benna terna Ciao, navigando in rete ho trovato la foto di una vecchia pala meccanica cingolata, marca e modello sconosciuto, con una strana forma di benna, credo sia al contrario, come un escavatore. A cosa servirebbe questa funzione, magari per scavare trincee? che marca e modello storico sarebbe questo trattore cingolato grazie scusate per il disagio

Replies35
  1. #1Tinkerer2024-02-17 11:00

    trombeur said --->Old Tracked Mechanical Loader with Backhoe Bucket Hello, surfing the net I found a photo of an old mechanical track loader, unknown make and model, with a strange shape of bucket, I think it is the other way around, like an excavator. What would be the use of this function, perhaps to dig trenches? what a historic make and model would this crawler tractor be thank you sorry for the inconvenience

  2. #2Nige2024-02-17 11:37

    Surely that is some model of Cat.? 955 maybe.? Hard to tell from photos at that distance. Application looks like military judging by the guy in the seat. There are also some letters down the LH side of the hardnose but I can’t make them out.

  3. #3Nige2024-02-17 15:28

    On second thoughts the two track carrier rollers would make it a 977 of some flavour rather than a 955 which only has one. That's of course provided it is a Cat machine.

  4. #4JaredV2024-02-17 15:42

    I can see NDER.

  5. #5Welder Dave2024-02-17 18:20

    Definitely a custom made machine. Can't see it being very efficient. Maybe used for digging up land mines or something where speed isn't the primary concern.

  6. #6CM19952024-02-17 19:27

    Post in ENGLISH please. Heavy Equipment Forums Rules and Posting Guidelines Heavy Equipment Forums Membership Rules and Guidelines Site Objective It is the intent of this site’s administration to offer professionals of the heavy equipment industry a forum and a comfortable enjoyable environment in which to exchange ideas, questions, answers and comments regarding... HeavyEquipmentForums

  7. #7Shimmy12024-02-17 19:35

    He always has, until Monday. Maybe his translator quit?

  8. #8Welder Dave2024-02-17 19:49

    He usually posts in English and is mostly looking for info on rare or unusual machines. Some are very interesting like the one in this thread. Tinkerer translated it so no harm, no foul. If he was cursing or berating someone in another language would be a much bigger deal. I think he deserves a pass because that is a very interesting and rare machine.

  9. #9Welder Dave2024-02-17 19:52

    It looks smaller until you look at the length of the tracks. It's a big heavy backward loader.

  10. #10DDoug2024-02-17 19:58

    Could it be an Allis Chalmers ? I had a HD-12g loader similar to a 977 cat, except the radiators were in the rear.

  11. #11Shimmy12024-02-17 21:39

    Weird.

  12. #12willie592024-02-17 22:16

    No clue myself, but just a guess. It looks like the operator is wearing a military Garrison cap, so possibly this is some military spec machine and not general production machine by whatever manufacturer. In the days before hydraulic excavators came along we had friction drum cable operated shovels and backhoes on crane type car body with flat track pads. They were better than using a shovel, but they weren't fast moving maneuverable. A rig like this, prior to modern excavators, would have been more compact to transport than a cable hoe, way more maneuverable as track loaders not only track quickly but turn quickly as well. That thing could dig a latrine trench in short order or quickly dig drainage trenches for a fast set up field runway. Just a guess.

  13. #13Welder Dave2024-02-18 01:19

    Quite interesting for sure.

  14. #14trombeur2024-02-18 01:45

    Penso che sia la seconda guerra mondiale, non capisco la necessità di montare la benna in quella posizione con questa conformazione della macchina, era un aratro forse per fare dei solchi tipo trincee ma penso che quella benna sia poco funzionale per il tipo di macchina , ho sbagliato? scusate la traduzione..sono italiano..

  15. #15Welder Dave2024-02-18 03:15

    Is your English translator not working? Try to post in English so someone else doesn't have to translate it and we can understand it.

  16. #16OzDozer2024-02-18 04:00

    "Penso che sia la seconda guerra mondiale, non capisco la necessità di montare la benna in quella posizione con questa conformazione della macchina, era un aratro forse per fare dei solchi tipo trincee ma penso che quella benna sia poco funzionale per il tipo di macchina , ho sbagliato? scusate la traduzione..sono italiano.." Translation - I think it's the Second World War, I don't understand the need to mount the bucket in that position with this shape of the machine, it was a plow perhaps to make furrows like trenches but I think that bucket is not very functional for the type of machine, I wrong? sorry for the translation..I'm Italian.. I strongly suspect it is an Italian VENDER track loader, fitted with a very unique backhoe-style bucket. I would hazard an educated guess that it was a Vender track loader prototype, possibly built for a military contract to excavate troop trenches. It's interesting, in that I've seen Vender crawlers here in Australia, and a few have survived - but I have never seen any photos or brochures on any Vender track loader - making me suspect it was a prototype. It dates from the mid-to-late 1950's, because it's got reasonably modern looking hydraulics fitted to it. A WW2 machine would still be cable control or have a very crude hydraulic system. Those bucket hydraulics are quite a sophisticated design. The Wikipedia link below gives some information on Vender. They were based in Milan, and appear to have commenced crawler manufacturing in the late 1930's (I think the company was in operation long before this time) - and their initial contract was supplying tractors to the Italian military, before and during WW2. So, the fact that Vender started off with military contracts indicates to me they continued in that field after WW2. I have no knowledge of what the Italian military strength and size was in the 1950's, but I would expect it was only a token military force. After WW2, it appears Vender set out on an export drive, but they struggled to make much of a mark in the crawler manufacturing field, and the company was purchased by Allis Chalmers in the early 1960's. The Vender company had a wonderful and rousing choice of model names - Vender Bully, Vender Champion, Vender Conqueror, and Vender Destroyer! All the Venders here were sold in the early 1950's when farming was booming, and much development work such as clearing, was still required. They faded away in popularity relatively quickly due to a lack of service and parts backup. There was also a PEGASO-VENDER tractor, built in Spain, utilising Vender components and technology - but I can find little about them, either - apart from the fact they changed the brand name to Empresa after only a couple of years. Pietro Pensa - Wikipedia it.wikipedia.org Vender Destroyer Made in Italy. By courtesy of Nicola De Biase. www.album-mmt.it

  17. #17Willie B2024-02-18 07:50

    Last three letters are NDER

  18. #18Willie B2024-02-18 07:52

    I can't say how it works. If used as a trench maker, it seems a problem getting rid of the spoils.

  19. #19Shimmy12024-02-18 09:18

    Sei stato hackerato?? Hai sempre postato in Inglese prima. Did you get hacked?? You've always posted in English before.

  20. #20Welder Dave2024-02-18 17:47

    I think you're right it's a Vender. It also appears to be a very advanced machine if it's pre 60's. The hyd's., the undercarriage and the overall machine look more like a crawler from the late 60's to early 70's.

  21. #21willie592024-02-18 20:04

    You ever seen how fast a traxcavator carriage can turn to toss spoils?

  22. #22willie592024-02-18 20:08

    And what was it, early 70's, that Fiat bought out Allis Chalmers? Went back full circle to the Italians.

  23. #23trombeur2024-02-19 01:40

    https://youtu.be/7iGJlh8MLqI Vender DR80 vender trator? ''?? This is an Italian Vender tractor of the early 1950's. It's in amazingly good condition, and obviously hasn't done a lot of work. I guess you wouldn't want to wear it out - Vender disappeared as a crawler manufacturing company in 1962 - and any parts you needed nowadays, you'd have to make. Vender commenced production of crawler tractors during WW2, was later nationalised as a Italian Govt-owned business - but ceased production in 1962 after incurring heavy losses due to poor management, poor quality products, and poor sales. They had some wonderful tractor model names such as Vender "Destroyer", Vender "Champion", and Vender "Bully". Unfortunately, their products never lived up to their wonderful names. The engines were Venders own design, and you'll also probably notice the twin-cylinder, horizontally-opposed, starting engine, a-la Caterpillar.

  24. #24Willie B2024-02-19 10:14

    I think I need some enlightening. First, define traxcavator. I feel it is an excavator, (pretty common) on tracks. It backs away from its ditch & plenty of swing to place spoils. Some call a dozer based loader a traxcavator. I think this is a less convenient ditch maker. The machine pictured, I presume has to back away after each scoop & drive to a place to dump it. I might be wrong, might be more convenient than I imagine.

  25. #25Shimmy12024-02-19 11:07

    I can see where these guys are coming from. With the length of those arms, after grabbing a bucket, all the operator has to do is turn either way in either forward or reverse, dump the bucket, and swivel back into position for the next grab.

  26. #26Welder Dave2024-02-19 15:48

    Cat called loaders Traxcavators whether wheeled or tracked. That machine could turn fairly quick but would take some practice to get lined back up with the trench after dumping.

  27. #27willie592024-02-19 19:44

    All I'm saying, back in the day before hydraulic excavators, which this machine would have been, that thing would be handy as a pocket on a shirt for the likes of Navy Seebee's because you can't do everything with a dozer, which they would have had as well.

  28. #28willie592024-02-19 19:52

    I don't know if Cat was the first to use the term "Traxcavator", but if not, they've certainly used the term for years to describe their crawler loader. > https://www.caterpillar.com/en/news/caterpillarNews/2022/traxcavator-turns-70.html

  29. #29IceHole2024-02-19 20:10

    We had a guy fill out HazMat BOL in Spanish. Course the guy hauling the load got pulled into the office at the scale that day, and got a WTH?! Worst part is dude didn't know a lick of Spanish, he's from Laos. Had no idea howhe did that. Was handwritten so not like the computer went haywire.

  30. #30OzDozer2024-02-19 20:15

    Traxcavator was a brand name of the Trackson Company of Milwaukee, Wisconsin. The word "Traxcavator" came from combining "tractor" and "excavator". Caterpillar purchased Trackson in December 1951 and thereby gained the rights to use the "Traxcavator" brand name. I never could figure out why Cat started using the Traxcavator name for their line of wheel loaders, though.

  31. #3156wrench2024-02-20 10:48

    I would think with that forward mounted bucket the visibility down in the shallow trench would have been a challenge but with some practice it would be easier

  32. #32trombeur2024-02-20 11:36

    Traxcavatori vecchio caricatore Back with a BANG! The Capel Military show celebrated its tenth anniversary this... www.keymilitary.com raro Traxcavator T7 Back with a BANG! The Capel Military show celebrated its tenth anniversary this... www.keymilitary.com ?

  33. #33Welder Dave2024-02-20 15:21

    Visibility? who needs visibility. Just drive forward and hope for the best.

  34. #34BC Placer gold2024-02-20 15:32

    Yes, just sit waay back there and peer through that rectangular ‘punch plate’ screen! That’s a crazy setup!

  35. #35trombeur2024-02-22 12:21

    scusate la traduzione non funziona bene, comunque queste vecchie pale meccaniche con sollevamento carrucola-fune-catena secondo me sono trappole mortali, non siamo riusciti a capire che modello di pala meccanica militare sia quella da me postata, grazie comunque, Ci dispiace per l' inconveniente. https://www.caterpillar.com/en/news/caterpillarNews/2022/traxcavator-turns-70.html