Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Old modified 631 pan to a pull pan?

fastline ยท 2024-04-11 23:39

Been trying to get a scraper setup for years. Missed a couple deals and now prices are nuts. Sort of looking at a 631 pan that was modded with new neck to pull it. I'm curious if anyone has seen this setup and how it might compare to a modern pan? I think some of the CATs were really heavy but prob robust. Just not sure if they load efficiently. I was looking at more of an ag tractor setup for a puller. Mainly want to go that route so I can use the tractor for other stuff. I don't have consistent scraper type work. My concern is I doubt most ag tractors really want that tongue weight on them, and it would be huge. Just mainly doing some thinking. Had an opportunity to grab a tracked Challenger tractor awhile back, but I had nothing to pull. Not real sure that tractor could handle a 31yd pan anyway. The only soils I would run in are loams, sandy loams, or clays.

Replies5
  1. #1sled dog2024-04-11 23:50

    All the 31 pans I have seen had dolly wheels. no tongue weight.

  2. #2Shimmy12024-04-11 23:51

    I would not hook a converted 631 behind my 95E. That is going to be a heavy, power-sucking pig. If it's a direct conversion, it is going to need 500+ track horses on the front to get a decent load. If it's a dolly, you are going to need 60k pounds and 600 horse to load it. And I'm not guessing. I know a guy that bought a 491 dolly scraper. Pretty much the same size as a 631. Weighted his Challenger 875B to 64k, and couldn't load it full. Bought a 28 yard K-Tec and has got along ok.

  3. #3fastline2024-04-12 00:03

    Dollies need more power? Honestly little experience with pans so I pay attention to the local big guys. They run 2 wheel ejectors and ag Deeres for pullers. Not certain on pan size. The pan mentioned is literally a removed pan from a 631, necked up to be a pull pan. I seem to recall those CATs had a more flat bottom and would drag in the dirt? Deeres had a better cut edge angle and belly angle? I'd be content with a 20yd setup but seems anything that 'really' works, either doesn't get sold, or sells as used up for a mint.

  4. #4Shimmy12024-04-12 13:52

    Not necessarily. If you get a 12-15 yard dolly pan, you can pull one of those with a 400 hp wheel tractor in most all conditions. A 631 pan is 30 yards, and the rig, if it has a dolly, is going to weigh 15-18 ton. With a 30 yard load of dirt, you're looking at 80k+ pounds, give or take. You're not going to pull it loaded with a 35k pound farm tractor, much less load it. Lot of farmers around pulling Cat 60s and 80s. The guys with 80s have 500 horse ahead of them.

  5. #5deerert2952024-04-15 20:54

    631 out of the question.Take a d9h at least that's 80000 pounds no blade. Go for 15 to 18 yard pan.Direct mount load 15 per cent easier.Ive said it before you want a scraper you can load easily.Save the tractor