Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Old P&H R150 Crane

charronecrom ยท 2014-07-14 19:51

Hey Guys, I have a 1977 P&H R150 crane that I kept after shutting down my recycling business. It's certainly old but it works well and never really had any issues with it. I've been trying to make some money with it but since it moves pretty slow (less than 3 mph) I'm having a hard time renting it out and all the big companies only lease newer models. I really don't want to sell it because I know I won't get but a couple of thousand for it so I really need some creative ways to make it profitable. Can anybody think of any unusual ways to make money with a crane? I thought about buying some sort of specialized attachment such as a magnet or a diesel hammer for example. Or an attachment that will allow me to offer a service like a wrecking ball to do demolition. I've seen a crane once being used as an antenna pole; another crane being used to drill a water well. At this point I'm willing to try anything. Even if it involves transforming the crane into some else, whatever that could be. I would like to hear your ideas. Thanks! CT

Replies6
  1. #1mowingman2014-07-14 21:02

    A small contractor here in town had one of those and he seemed to keep it pretty busy. He had an old tractor trailer lowboy setup to haul it around town. A lot of his work was at small welding shops, machine shops, and fabricating companies. They would occasionally get some job that required heavy lifting, and they could not justify keeping a crane around for those few jobs. So, they called him for a few hours of work. He also set up big metal sculptures for professors at one of our local universities. They often get a commision to make a sculpture for some new fancy building courtyard or entrance hall. He would haul it out and set it up with his crane.

  2. #2oregon96pd2014-07-18 00:06

    We have one of those at work to help with our hot plant setup/tear down but it'll go alot faster than 3 mph.....sure theres not a high low range your missing. (I dont know cause i dont run ours, but it will travel along pretty well.)

  3. #3lantraxco2014-07-18 01:41

    That was what I was thinking, the old Pettibone neck breaker I used to run would do at least fifteen once you sorted out the gears... there was crunchy and extra crunchy....

  4. #4oregon96pd2014-07-20 01:04

    Turns out ours is a r180, and I shouldnt have even ever brought it up. I think it got mad that i was talking about it because on thursday it decided to eat its swing drive gearbox....some days i hate being a mechanic. ointhead

  5. #5lantraxco2014-07-20 02:23

    Apparently it needed some attention, these machines are kinda like dogs, they act out if they feel ignored.....

  6. #6oregon96pd2014-07-20 14:19

    Haha, its been ignored for a long, long time. I crawled under it and just went ooooh noooo.......