I'm thinking about purchasing a new 5 Ton Mini. I have been trying the new bobcat, John Deere, and CAT. I used to own a Yanmar VIO 50, which I thought was probably the best Mini-Ex made. Now, I am convinced that the Deere has pulled ahead from the Yanmar. I have narrowed it down to either the CAT or DEERE. I like the options that CAT has. It has the thumb and boom swing function right on the pilot control, it seems to be roomy, and it has A/C. The DEERE seems to be a lot smoother, however, it doesn't seem to offer the same options for around the same price. The one machine is a 2008 DEERE 50D with 300 Hrs. No cab or thumb, and it sells for $45,000. The other machine is a 2008 CAT 305C CR with 552 Hrs, fully loaded with cab, heat, A/C and a thumb. That machine sells for $51,000. Both machines are super clean machines, and both companies have parts and service 15 miles away. So there is no real worry about down time there. I am just curious, (without biased bashing) what machines do you guys run or own and could you give me some thoughts. The reason I am not buying another Yanmar, is the dealer that sold them is now selling the DEERE. Thanks!!
Well, if it was me, i would go for the Cat 305C CR for 6k more u are getting the Attachments and the cab w/heat and AC and seeing u are from WI i think u will like the cab quite a bit in the winter.
I demoed both last fall and i liked the deere better. For exactly the same reasons you said. I think those prices seem pretty high??? I think the deere i demoed was around 32000 with no cab and a thumb 2008 model. These dealers have alot of flex right now, the buyer is definitly in the driver seat, that is the most important thing to remember! If you pay with cash its even better. My only real comment (since they are both good machines) is buy one with a cab!!!!!! You will never regret it, plus open cab machines arent nearly as desirable when its time to sell
I agree and my suggestion would be to look at the auctions. This machine may be double the hours at 1134 and doesn't have a cab but it sold for less than half the asking price of the 305CR you are looking at.
The CAT CCR series specs a lot better than does a Deere. They have good aux flow but other than that not very impressive.
I just bought a cat 304ccr and I am very pleased with it. The 304 and 305 are on the same undercarriage and cab, just a little less weight and digging force. I bought 07 with cab and hydraulic thumb and 618 hours for $37,000.
Thanks for all the input. If indeed this machine is to high priced, what do you guys think this is actually worth? FYI, I had a cab on my Yanmar, and it was well worth it. So Yes, I will be buying a machine with a cab. I will send pics on Monday. Thanks again!
I just bought a new 305 CCR last fall and i payed 72000(Canadian). It was brand new with a thumb, hydraulic pin grabber and a 62" ditching bucket on it. By far the best machine I have ever operated. I would go for the Cat, its all the small things in the cab that make up the difference in my eyes
I got my 305CCR in feb. love it moved up from 303cr , the 303crs where under powered hence the 303.5s, but love the 305, 40k 1k hrs coupler,thumb, cab a/c radio. Great power, not as tippy as the takauchi,easier to spell, love the color . Boom swing and aux. on the rollers in the joysticks Are priceless, I do a lot of rock walls and I love the sensitivity I can get with the roller over the old foot pedals. Was never as impressed with the deeres They seem tippy, slow, underpowered. Frank
I know the Cats put the valves on the side of the house now instead of under the floor boards of the cab. Does the Deere now have access to the valves. My issue is that hoses break from time to time and I can't stand the idea of tearing out floor boards, tilting a cab and working tight just to change one bad hydraulic hose.