Hey - new to the site - Looks like an interesting find Check out the 1969 " Bantam " Purchased new and driven from IOWA to Boston . I was a greenhorn in the early 80's when I started on this machine. Spent the next decade or so doing underground tank removals all over Massachusetts - including Martha's Vinyard and Nantucket . The ferry boats saw me comin a mile away ! Every year I snow plowed Rte 3 on the South Shore .
Welcome Rob...that thing is a beast!
Now that must have been a fun trip! :dizzy Welcome to the site.
Actually I was 2 when it was driven to Massachusetts - But yeah , that machine had the power of a brand new Cat 320 and then some . Used to pull 10,000 gal. gasoline tanks out of the ground .... ok more like dragged it out and rolled it onto a dropdeck . Rear engine Detroit 4 5 3 Front Chrysler Industrial 318 gas
errrrrrrrr....i'm 52 yrs old....born in the cab of backhoes/excavators...my dad had hopto's, drotts, and since then i've owned about every brand there is.....those old truck mount bantams wouldn't horse a load, nor produce what a 320 cat does......even the older series cat 320's...and i hate cat excavators. you were dealing with high volume, low pressure hydraulics, no doubt either a commercial shearing or vickers pump, on a 4-53....yeah, they were better than a shovel.
With all do respect - you gotta lighten up I notice you didnt mention that since you were plucked from your mommys womb in the cab of a backhoe /excavator - you've actually had any experience on a koehring bantam t-450 . I'll make this simple for both of us - Back off and let me have my fond memories . I suggest you focus you hatred toward your ex - wife.
Before anybody says anything they might regret later, let's remember the forum rule: "While disagreements will arise, they must be handled in a mature manner." (I know there was no need to mention that, but I'm just such a busybody...) :wink2
Cool pic Robpg looks like a wild bit of gear!! Just remember Men work with Men, Boys bitch and pick!:thumbsup
memories, fantasies....sometimes people get them confused. i took no personal shots at you, i just commented that a truck mounted 450 bantam excavator would not be able to horse a load, nor produce what a cat 320 would. i wasn't the one who spun the topic to me directing my hatred to my ex-wife...i don't remember posting anything to the effect that i'd ever been divorced.
Hey guys...just to lighten things up a bit. I've been divorced twice..lets see... memories...yes a few. Fantasies....next to none. Hatred towards my ex wifes....yes some. Why?...Alimony & child support:Banghead
Water under the bridge - No problem at this end , Lets agree to disagree - and in retrospect , that is the response you deserved in the first place. There are dozens of equipment brands millions of operators a gazillion opinions. Oh - after this thread ..make that a gazillion and two. Happy 4th
Thanks guys:thumbsup
I'm trying to find some shots of what I beleive is an even older Bantam, no hydraulics, but cable drive for the boom and bucket arms. Not sure of the year, but am looking for pics and info on those units if anyone has any.
Hey guys you just about lost me with all the banter. The last post is really the one I want to address. The older Bantam was a T350 (T=Truck Mount; C=Crawler Mount) and the 350 was the newer derivitive of the much older T-35 that was originally designed way back in the 40's and early 50's. Here is my own 1968 T-350 running last year. My first time operating so don'r laugh too much. It has original what I would call Detroit Diesel Alpine Green paint both ourside and inside, was factory ordered like that in 68 when it was new.
I just bought a Bantam 450 for scrap price. It runs good, all the hydraulics are good, and it doesn't have any oil leaks. Even the Detroit is dry, amazingly enough. I bought it to do some clean up jobs around the farm, nothing to fancy. The problem is, like a lot of these old mechanical/chain drive undercarriages, it won't pull it itself. You have to drag yourself around like a crippled dog. The shaft that drives the chains doesn't turn. The brakes all look good and are operational. Any ideas what could be wrong under there. Where can I find manuals? Haven't found any on ebay yet. Is there any place online that would have a schematic of some of those inner workings? Thanks! Mark
Bantam C-450 Markat, I cannot help you with schematics, but I currently have access to a Bantam-Koehring Parts book for the C-450 if you are still looking for some info on the inner workings, I can make some scans and/or get copies to you. Baker