Here's a picture of the Worlds Record Log Sled load pulled by Horses. 50 white pine logs. Displayed at the Chicago Worlds Fair . Come from Upper Michigan. The next 2 are of a Drag Saw cutting logs. No chainsaws back then.
Log loading Old steam log loader, loading railroad cars.
Cat 60 Logging Here's one from Eureka, Calif .
Great pics Great pics Northart. Back then you had to work hard for the money :notworthy Almost like we do:bash
Great pics Northart:drinkup
I wish I had access to some of the pictures that Great Northern (Timber company in Maine) had taken I have seen them, some of the pictures are absolutely amazing.
Men were men back then and the sheep were nervous, they could make a ewe turn.
Awesome pics, I agree most people don't really know what hard work is anymore. These guys worked hard and didn't have the winter clothing or nice machines like we do now and some still complain. Trbo
Wow now that a load for only 2 horsepower.... ...:beatsme
If you like to read up on logging back in the old days and see how it progressed with machinery, get a copy of a book called "Endless Tracks In The Woods." It's put together by a couple of guys named James Young & Jerry Budy. I bought it last year on Amazon and have not quite finished it yet, but it's full of pictures from the old days, lots of early crawler tractors and other equipment having to do with logging and earthmoving.
Hats off to those guys, that's earning your money. Yesterday I saw a woman whose car bumper sticker said "dirt worshiping tree hugger" and I almost puked. It's a shame what's happened to the forestry business in N.M. It's getting to be extinct.
If you like photos and history, heres a website with lots of both. http://www.vannattabros.com/
I love reading about their history with the big dozers.
Steam Power Steam Power loading railroad cars
Nice picture, Northart. According to a book I have, this picture was taken up on the tip of the Olympic Peninsula at Neah Bay, Washington Pulp and Paper. It shows a Lidgerwood tower skidder, probably being taken down after logging a setting. That load in front of the skidder is for supporting the tower for transport. The logs were loaded onto cars by a swinging boom that laid flat down under the tower when in transport mode. These massive machines weighed 300 some tons, and had their heyday during the 1920's and '30s. The book says many of them flopped over during transport due to the soft subgrades typical with railroad logging. It's amazing they were able to recover them and get them back to work.
Here's a few from Maine to add to the collection. Hauling snow in Portland with horses. Lombard Loghauler. Sargent Co. of Portland snow loader. A snow roller being used in Caribou. And a snow roller in Garland. Sorry, not all logging, but some neat equipment. I have some more of the snowplowing equipment that Sargent Co. made, as well as some old equip. pics, just need to find them. I also have some of my family hauling wood with horses and oxen but they need to be scanned.
Cool pictures, makes you appreciate technology.
Good Pics! I would not be suprised if we do not revert back to the old horse and carriage days with the fuel prices as high as they are. I would not be supprised that in the near future we will be using DC motors with solar panels or hydrogen fuel on our equipment. Good pictures make you appreciate what we have at this point. NOB
I would have to agree with your above views. DC motors have great torque. Solar Energy is unlimited and free. It can be used to produce Hydrogen for fuel cells to power the next generation of mobile equipment. Horse and carriages........Not sure about that.....But one never knows the future?? C ya.........Ray
There must be a lot of sunny days where ya'll live if you think solar panels are logical.
Here are some that you might find interesting. Hal
solar Doesn't matter. Tree huggers say solar is a good idea. So what if the sun doesn't shine--they must be right, or so they think . . . Besides, does anybody actually consider the cost of installing the solar panels/generator to begin with? It's quite expensive to put them in, tax credits not withstanding. . .
Solar panels, known as PV or photovoltaics will still produce electricity under overcast skies, although at a reduced capacity. They use light, not heat, and you need more for cloudy days. Tax credits depend on the government in control but I'll tell you this for nothing. "The sun will rise for many years after the last drop of oil is used up, so keep your horses handy". Some may wish to Google "peak oil" which has predicted todays scenario for many years. It's all about supply and demand and certain members of society have burned oil like it was going out of fashon. Is that your country???????? C ya..........Ray
Wolfcsm Are those a commercial picture ? I can remember my grandfather (he had a sawmill) having what I remember as the some of the same pictures. I have not seen these in 30 to 40 yrs so I could easily be mistaken. I also imagine these to be common poses around the Giant Redwoods
I got them off an internet site. Not commercial but did a search on logging and late 1880's. Hal
Great pics. I doubt that technology would help get those giants down.
Hello, I am new to the forum so I can't start a new tread. I found an old logging picture from a logging tractor. I have never seen it before but I found it a interesting tractor and I would like to know more about it. Could someone tell me what tractor this is,maybe some more pictures of it. I live in Belgium and I do not have access to all the materials about American logging tractors. Here is the link to the picture: http://content.lib.washington.edu/cdm4/item_viewer.php?CISOROOT=/indocc&CISOPTR=528&CISOBOX=1&REC=7
Heres the picture, its titled Nehalem, Oregon.
Thanks for replying atlasrob but is that the name of that tactor.
bwat? They had forwarders when people still used b&w? Kinda funny how long tracks took to come full circle.
Banks, Nehalem is the name of the area in Oregon where the photo was taken. The logging industry was alway very innovative in finding ways to move heavy logs out of the woods. I don't recognize the machine but would bet someone has taken an ag machine and modified it carry logs. It doesn't look like they were tied on so I would be kind of nervous about running the rig. It is a good photo.
Tanks very much for the information John C. It's just I am very interested in tracked machines. But when I see this photo I though there is nothing new under the sun. If you see the tracked farm tractors of today they where around 75 years ago. In the text with the photo they mention 22 mph. It's very impressive. Its seem to me that the tracks or the same at with the tracked dirt wagons of that same time.
Good to see a photo from my neck of the woods. I wish my Grandpa would get his old collection of photos out for me from when he was still logging.
During the early 60's I set chokers out in the Olympic peninsula in the last permanent camp. It was in the rain forest and it rained all the time. We walked on boardwalks in the camp with our corks on. The mess hall had everything to eat you could want. You grabbed a sack lunch on the way out the door. Most of the logs (big ones) were in the mud so we set a small charge under the log to blow out the mud and then jumped down into the water and set the choker. You stood on the log as the charge blew as that was the only safe place to be. Also worked high line on Mt. Rainier with a 600hp. tower yarder and 1 1/2 main line, pretty big logs.
Pretty sure that tractor is a Cletrac.
great old picutures. where have all the big trees gone?
Hyster A couple of pix out of an old Hyster book.
I wonder what the safety inspectors would have to say about the equipment pictured. No hard hats, no guarding, no ROP cab, as well as more than I would possibly know. They did all the logging and didn't give it a second thought. The early logging was done with small equipment and now is done with large equipment ( multiple-tasking) when any logging is done. Can anyone imagine sleeping 20 or more in a single room? Etcetras.
They are locked up in parks! I spent 20 years logging old growth Redwood and Douglas Fir. At the time our company foresters calculated that at the rate we were logging we had at least 100 years of timber supply. Then the whacko's in power in Washington DC decided it would be a good idea to spend the taxpayer's money to lock them up forever. Ever wonder where the nearing 15 TRILLION dollar national debt came from? This kind of thinking has us where we sit. We have well over 100,000 acres of old growth timber in parks up here. The last Redwood will never be cut. They are beautiful trees, beautiful to look at.....beautiful to use.
Actually technology did speed up the process of cutting, logging, hauling and milling those giants. Chainsaws with bars of 6' and longer sped up the cutting. Trees that took days to cut before chainsaws, now (in the 60's - 90's) only took hours. Wrestling a log 8' in diameter now only took minutes to get it to the landing. Sometimes that was with a huge Skagit BU199 or a Washingtono 217 yarder using 1 3/8 to 1 1/2 cables. Other times it may have been a D9G or a D8 46A dragging (skidding) logs to the landing. 988 front end loaders could lift this 8' x 16' log onto a short logger........sometimes it was a real rassliing match......but off it went to the mill being pulled by 400 or more horsepower.......
Anyone on here see the Sparmatic I posted in another thread? be a great thing to put here, but if you saw it in the other thread, I won't bother.
Hey neighbors! Good to see a couple more locals on here. I'd be curious to know exactly where the pic from Eureka was taken.
Saved by the Timber Heritage Association........... I'm not positive, but the Timber Heritage Association in Samoa, California has a CAT 60 equipped with a winch that looks exactly like the one you posted........ they believe it is the first logging Cat in Humboldt County. It is in amazing condition..........looks like you could fire it up & start dragging logs right now. It will be on display this weekend.
Thanks for that. Looks like I'll be stopping in over there this weekend.
Back a few posts "Banks" asked about a tracked vehicle pulling a load of logs, which was in a photo entitled "Nehalem". I suspect this was someones attempt to modify a tracked vehicle for higher speed hauling in lieu of trucks and this was taken a bit after WW II. Looking at the vehicle, it appears to be on a tank type chassis, because of the multiple road tires needed for higher speeds. These chassis designs were tried on Vickers tractors from England as I recall, but were not successful for dozing and pulling heavy loads. My best guess, as I have never seen a tractor in this configuration and have been looking at them since the 1950's.
Great photos and interesting posts.