Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

old timer

petepilot · 2020-05-28 21:33

nothing wrong with it `starts&runs whenever . 72 year-old onan-continental 6 rated at 20 kw but never had it loaded enough to make the gov.open up .and I have had some pretty good loads hung on it

Replies6
  1. #1mitch5042020-05-28 23:04

    You know, it kinda makes you look like an old timer when you forget you started a thread, and start another one.

  2. #2petepilot2020-05-28 23:27

    did I do dat------- sure did 1st one can go` touchy key board

  3. #3Syleng12020-10-11 08:28

    What amazes me is generator technology has not changed much in 72 years. Imagine what that unit cost back then compared to the units of the same size / output of today? As a kid in the 70’s I did not know anyone who had a generator and if they did, they were old military generators. Now a days they are selling generators at department stores and groceries stores. Cheap as they come but almost everyone seems to have access to one if needed. Thanks for sharing!

  4. #4petepilot2023-05-16 01:06

    It still runs n works fine

  5. #5OzDozer2023-05-16 06:12

    You'll never kill that old Conty, they're built like a tank, and the HP/Kw output is so low, there's hardly any stress on any internal component. I have one in a V60B Cat forklift, I bought it with the engine totally rusted up solid, the idiots that owned it previously left the exhaust open to the weather for years. I stripped it down and I've nearly got it all back together, and the size of the internal components is amazing. Didn't have a lot of trouble getting parts for it, but I believe the parts are getting harder to find every year.

  6. #6petepilot2023-05-18 00:47

    some things are getting scarce` especially any one who knows anything about them