Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Old Trucks?

camara ยท 2008-02-05 20:02

Anyone got pictures of old trucks working or restored? Here is a picture of my 1950 Sterling that is under construction.

Replies32
  1. #1Colin Doy2008-02-05 20:43

    Thats a great project Camara, do you have any history on that truck?

  2. #2580bruce2008-02-06 00:03

    That is a nice rig! Keep us up to date! I want a B model Mack so bad!

  3. #3dieseldave2008-02-06 22:04

    Here's an old Sterling that's seen better days.

  4. #4camara2008-02-07 08:07

    One of the guys up here has one. Ten wheeler with chain drive. Uses it to move houses. It has a big Waukesha in it.

  5. #5bobcat ron2008-02-07 12:29

    Wow, I've never seen chain drive AND air brakes on a truck that old!

  6. #6BIGBEN20042008-02-07 13:12

    I have never seen a stack of leaf springs like that. That thing must ride like a tank.

  7. #7Freightrain2008-02-08 15:05

    Here's my oldie. Doing what it does best every weekend. 1959 B61, 673 n/a, 15 spd Triplex [url]http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh300/Freightrain66/59%20mack/b61a.jpg[/url] [IMG]http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh300/Freightrain66/59%20mack/b61b7406.jpg I'm sure most have seen this video? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KhPcDMGRxw It's me by the way.

  8. #8bobcat ron2008-02-08 15:26

    Is that the same truck from the vid as in the pics link?

  9. #9Freightrain2008-02-09 00:22

    Yup. One in the same. I made the video about 3 yrs ago(before Youtube) and a fellow on the internet hosted it for me. Someone(a few) got a hold of it and posted it on Youtube. I got another one from the fifth wheel view showing a bit of smoke and noise. Haven't got around to getting it posted yet.

  10. #10sbrem2008-02-09 13:35

    Here is another old Sterling that is similar. I had the same thought as you about the springs when I saw it.

  11. #11sbrem2008-02-09 13:38

    You can see the full size pictures of the truck I just posted with the following links. picture 1 picture 2 picture 3

  12. #12tonka2008-02-09 15:06

    that thing is bad ***!

  13. #13FarmerDave2008-02-09 23:54

    I'll say. I like it

  14. #14Colin Doy2008-02-10 13:29

    Are the old Sterlings (pre restoration) still around for sale? I've lived in the South West 10 years and I haven't seen any around here.:beatsme

  15. #15Steve Frazier2008-02-10 14:14

    Anyone interested in old trucks should consider joining the American Truck Historical Society , I've been a member for over 10 years. The publish a bi-monthly magazine with stories of restorations and tales from well seasoned drivers of the industry in its infancy. There's also a multi-page classified section that lists truck of all kinds in all levels of condition, from rusted out hulks to fully restored show pieces. And yes, you will find Sterlings available from time to time, some needing restoration and others in show condition.

  16. #16Colin Doy2008-02-10 15:52

    Cheers Steve, now I'm a member too:drinkup

  17. #17alan627b2008-02-11 17:31

    Here's some I saw at National Hardware Supply in Madera, CA, 2 years ago on vacation. Peterbilt

  18. #18alan627b2008-02-11 17:35

    58 or 59 Dodge Power Giant, dumpster truck maybe?

  19. #19alan627b2008-02-11 17:41

    Gmc

  20. #20alan627b2008-02-11 17:44

    IH mixer R120?

  21. #21alan627b2008-02-11 17:46

    59 or 60 Ford F800? Late 60's or early 70's Dodge

  22. #22alan627b2008-02-11 17:48

    Another Binder...R190

  23. #23alan627b2008-02-11 17:52

    Anybody remeber Duel with Dennis Weaver? Spielbergs first major movie....scary old Peterbilt? http://www.tenfourmagazine.com/feature/2004/5.html Here's one of it's cousins...I thought maybe it was watching me....

  24. #24bobcat ron2008-02-11 18:30

    I still get freaked out when I see and old white Pete come flying down the road!

  25. #25camara2008-02-11 18:30

    A couple more beautifully restored pieces.

  26. #26woodchuck22008-03-02 17:57

    I bought a 1946 Reo Speedwagon 1 1/2 ton flatbed this past summer that had sat indoors since 1954. I purchased it from the original owners son who is now in his late 60's. The truck was originally an oil delivery truck but was in an accident in 1949, the left front fender has minor damage but the tank was ruptured so it was removed. The owner then installed a flatbed on it and delivered saw wood from his sawmill until it was parked in 1954. When i bought it the truck was still loaded with wood. It is missing the floorpan around the shift handles, one door handle, one headlamp bezel and the lense for one turn signal. The truck still has original paint on the frame yet and all the glass is intact. I will post photo's when i get a chance.

  27. #27coffee5212008-03-15 02:32

    what's that chain for?

  28. #28tuney4432008-03-15 14:19

    Chain drive---instead of a differential there would be external sprockets coming off the tranny going to the rear axle{also with a sprocket{s},using a huge chain.

  29. #29woodchuck22008-12-05 09:39

    These are pics of the 1946 Reo Speedwagon that i bought a year ago that i have plans to restore.

  30. #30truklodyte2009-12-24 13:58

    I would love just to visit that place.

  31. #31dieseldave2009-12-24 14:09

    Here are a few from Gerhart's yard.

  32. #32truklodyte2009-12-24 15:55

    Ah an AC mack. I really would love to find my next project in any of those pictures of lost treasure.