Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Old Venco Truck Crane

wlhequipment · 2021-12-20 08:56

Hi folks, I just bought this old crane for really really cheap. I’ve always wanted a small crane for my truck. It seems it’s been discontinued, and maybe for quite awhile now. Anyhow, I’m wondering if there is any way to get parts for old truck cranes? This one has a busted hydraulic reservoir. I could probably fix it if need be, but I’m lazy and just want to buy a new one. Also any thoughts in general on these particular cranes would be appreciated too, and if anyone has a manual for it, I’d be happy to pay for it. Thanks guys!

Replies22
  1. #1Old Doug2021-12-20 09:33

    That will be very handy i want to find one someday.

  2. #2Vetech632021-12-20 09:44

    Pic of reservoir?

  3. #3wlhequipment2021-12-20 10:55

    It looks like the guy laid it down or dropped it on the reservoir side. With a torch, some brazing rod and more patience than I usually have, I could fix it. I may end up having to do that, but if I could find a replacement park, that would be very cool. I did find what might be a data plate on the power pack, covered in tons of paint (of course). I’ll try to uncover it and see.

  4. #4JBI2021-12-20 16:57

    I had a Liftmoore (2400?) crane once that had a reservoir very similar to that.

  5. #5crane operator2021-12-20 17:54

    Is the reservoir have the motor on the other side of that steel plate (on top), so it draws right out of the tank? Or is it just a divider plate that has the fittings tapped into it? And nothing on the top? I've bought generic aftermarket hyd. tanks and they aren't too expensive.

  6. #6wlhequipment2021-12-20 18:26

    Yes the rest of the power pack is on the other side of that plate looking thing. The pump draws right out of that tank.

  7. #7wlhequipment2021-12-20 18:32

    I got a hold of Laguna Crane down in Texas. They actually sent me the parts book. I need p/n 06227 reservoir. They’re checking to see if that’s still a valid number. If not, though, it shows as a 6”x5” reservoir. I’m doing a bit of googling, but not coming up with much yet.

  8. #8crane operator2021-12-20 18:32

    Yeah- that's going to make it a little harder to find a copy of the tank. You may have to go to a different style pump and tank to get something to work. How about a picture showing the pump and the tank together. That might help to find something that would work.

  9. #9crane operator2021-12-20 18:34

    You may be able to make a pump with tank like the tommygate use, and just reset the hoses in it. That would be the most common thing to find. And then just redo how its mounted. Does the pump run in both directions, or only one direction?

  10. #10wlhequipment2021-12-20 18:38

    I’ll post up a pic of the whole thing tomorrow. I don’t know if it works yet, so I don’t know what direction it runs, but since there is only 1 pressure line to the lift cylinder, I would assume it’s only 1 direction.

  11. #11wlhequipment2021-12-21 13:31

    I just heard back from the guy. The crane is a year 2000 model. Not completely discontinued yet, but close. He actually sent me the manual, so now I at least have that load chart, so that's nice. The power pack has been superseded and I cant get just the reservoir. I'd have to buy the whole power pack for 1200. I think I'll do a bit more googling for a replacement, or buck up and fix it. 1200 isnt the end of the world, but maybe I can come up with a better option.

  12. #12crane operator2021-12-21 19:45

    Surely you could retrofit one of the self contained dump trailer pump, with tank. I bought a two way one a year or two ago and it was only $350. Here's a single direction pump with tank for right around $200 https://www.ebay.com/itm/184181591612?epid=2226437831&hash=item2ae2140e3c:g:36MAAOSwMrdhpKGq You're going to have to do a little wiring up and hose/ fitting work, but its a lot cheaper than $1200.

  13. #13Jonas3022021-12-21 21:02

    https://www.surpluscenter.com/Hydra...cement-Power-Unit-Parts/Powerpack-Reservoirs/

  14. #14wlhequipment2021-12-21 21:26

    Those are some really good ideas guys thanks! By the way, Here’s a pic of the whole thing.

  15. #15crane operator2021-12-21 21:28

    There's a couple on that surplus center page that Jonas listed that look like they would work to just replace the tank. You need to get out the tape measure. https://www.surpluscenter.com/Brand...r-Horizontal-Powerpack-Reservoir-9-6262-K.axd

  16. #16Tags2021-12-22 07:23

    That almost looks like a fisher plow pump assembly….

  17. #17wlhequipment2022-01-14 06:27

    That reservoir wasn't beat up too bad, after all. I just straightened out the tabs, and put it back on with a couple washers. No problem

  18. #18John C.2022-01-14 10:15

    That's a later set up than what I had on the first true service truck that I worked out of. All it had for the boom was a long hydraulic jack with a hand pump. The only power was to the winch. As I recall what is in your photo only went up on pump power and came down on gravity. You had to preset the hand valve to figure how fast you wanted to come down. It could be an adventure.

  19. #19Old Doug2022-01-14 10:39

    I would like to have some kind of a crane that could lift a 1000 pounds and be used on my flatbed truck at the front of the bed . I have thougt about building one . I want a winch and power swing but it dosent need a power boom lift. I would also like to be able to remove it if i needed to.

  20. #20skyking12022-01-14 14:40

    Yes the swing is the thing. You never can get level so that you have an easy time going either way.

  21. #21John C.2022-01-14 18:28

    Really, you do want a power boom lift. In a lot of cases it would have been better without those things. Someone would have had to get something that was adequate to pick something then.

  22. #22crane operator2022-01-14 19:36

    For $300 or so- maybe one of these would work? 6 bolts to get it on and off. I think you could rig up some kind of power swing, or a gear reduction hand chain drive swing. Myself I think I'd look for a take off service crane, but this would work if you're in no hurry. https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200672545_200672545