Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Old Waymire tag trailer. Worth looking at?

Andy1845c · 2021-01-08 16:42

I am thinking about going to look at this trailer https://www.cvequipment.com/invento...976-waymire?dlr=1&pcid=2000809293&sfc=0&ssc=0 Seller says its fairly clean for its age. Says no major welds or broken springs. Decent brakes and tires. If I go look what should I look at? Anyone have an experience with one of these? Anything odd about the axles or tire size thats going to come to haunt me when I need to work on it? The seller says the tag with the weight rating (and I assume the VIN??) is missing but he has the title. He doesn't know the capacity but says he thinks it would be a 20 ton. Can anyone tell me how I could find out? Also what sort of headache if any am I going to have if the VIN number isn't on the trailer to match it to the title?

Replies24
  1. #1AllDodge2021-01-08 17:25

    Without a VIN tag can it be licensed ?

  2. #2Tyler d4c2021-01-08 17:54

    Looks decent but personally I'd keep looking to find one that doesn't have the 15 inch tube type bias plies on it. Jmo

  3. #3Andy1845c2021-01-08 18:53

    Thats kinda exactly why I asked you guys... are these hard to find? Im not sure. I should clarify with the seller that it is indeed gone. I asked about the capacity and he said he'd looked for a tag but it must have fallen off, then after I hung up I started thinking I wonder if the VIN was also on that tag. I guess If I do decide to go look I will need to talk to the state first and ask how to proceed if its gone.

  4. #4Tyler d4c2021-01-08 19:14

    I don't know if there hard to find but there a royal pain im sure just like tube type 10 hunderd twentys

  5. #5Andy1845c2021-01-08 19:27

    Yeah I was just thinking I wonder if that’s what he means. Run over a nail and you can’t just plug it gotta break it down and pull the tube out and get it back in and not pinch it. Not a huge deal to me since I mostly want this for personal use and not to make a living but it’s a pint worth considering.

  6. #6Delmer2021-01-08 20:49

    The other side of that is if you can find them used they should be cheap, you might never need to change a tire, just change out a spare wheel. Eventually they'll all be old though. Have to consider how long you plan to keep it, and how many miles, and resale value, it all has to be reflected in the price... It may be possible to convert the hubs to a different style wheel, or do they make 17.5 drop center wheels to mount on those hubs like 22.5's mount in place of 10.00R20? Here, it could be licensed with the title, but you'd have some trouble if you get pulled over and it turns out not to match somehow.

  7. #7petepilot2021-01-08 21:02

    17. 5 tires and wheels will mount right where the 15s are

  8. #8Jonas3022021-01-08 21:04

    Same here in MN you would have no problem licensing we have a few like that DOT hasnt complained but a tag like this would fix it right up https://www.ebay.com/itm/324248907107

  9. #9Junkyard2021-01-08 21:05

    Don’t know about MN but in OK I can take a trailer like that, do a little paperwork and have a “shop built” title. How much do you plan to use it? Those 15” tires can be swapped to 17.5 tubeless with a new rim and tire. Probably need different wedges too depending on how those fit. I did more 5-6 axle oilfield floats than I can recall 20+ years back. It was getting hard to find the 10.00x15’s back then! Trailer looks good in the pics but that doesn’t mean a whole lot. I’d have to see in person.

  10. #10Tyler d4c2021-01-08 21:25

    I learned a new thing today

  11. #11Andy1845c2021-01-08 21:33

    Not a ton. More for hobby than business. That’s why this price is appealing. There is a nicer newer one for sale near me but it’s double the money. Don’t want to tie up ten grand in a trailer that isn’t making me money.

  12. #12petepilot2021-01-08 21:37

    only thing that might pop up` he may have to use the 235x17.5 tires to get under deck clearance

  13. #13skyking12021-01-08 21:52

    I had a Miller of the same vintage with those tires. Not a fan either. The tubeless are a better go IMO.

  14. #14Junkyard2021-01-08 21:52

    True or maybe even 215’s to get close to the 8.25’s that are on it.

  15. #15Tenwheeler2021-01-08 23:17

    You can even run those 15" tube type side by side with a 17.5 tubeless. These are the old style Dayton rims and must not be confused with the newer style disc wheel tubeless type tires. While it is said you cannot run a bias tire next to a radial I never had a problem while working out of the tube type into the tubeless and or combinations of the two. Run 110 Lbs in the radial and 75 in the bias next to it.

  16. #16crane operator2021-01-09 09:58

    I guess I think that's pretty expensive for a '79, with the old style wheels. It does look pretty good, the pictures don't show much rust. But I think you could do better for $4,500 Local to me, this is a '94 for $4,500. 17.5 tires. A 99 also at $4,500, that's not as heavy built (I don't know what you're hauling-just a skid loader or a 963?) I'm sure there's stuff like this by you also, you just have to look for it.

  17. #17Andy1845c2021-01-09 10:56

    Crane Op - do those ads specify air or electric brakes? I don't see hoses in those pics. Ive seen a few local here that are in that money but are electric brakes. I don't know if that tends to make them more desirable and more money?

  18. #18crane operator2021-01-09 15:13

    I haven't seen either trailer and the ads didn't say. Just guessing, the black one is a little heavier and probably air, the yellow one electric. I'd much rather have air if your truck is set up for it. Better brakes.

  19. #19Andy1845c2021-01-09 16:27

    Yes. I’m not even considering any with electric.

  20. #20DMiller2021-01-09 16:28

    Gonna say electric on both as No air lines visible and they would be visible.

  21. #21Old Doug2021-01-09 21:22

    I have thought about buying a trailer like this and building a neck for it. I did this on a smaller trailer and made a gooseneck out of it that was over 20years ago i still use it all the time. I need a 20 foot plus one to start out with.

  22. #22Truck Shop2021-01-11 17:59

    Good man.

  23. #23DMiller2021-01-11 18:04

    Smart

  24. #24dieseldog5.92021-02-03 13:32

    I had a Trooper come out and assign a new VIN number to a trailer similar to that trailer. I had 500$ into the trailer, and 300 for the VIN number. It has the 8.25 r15 tires, which I think roll offroad well, and being 20ft is super manuverable, old eager beaver I believe. Found 4 new tires someone had for 300 cash. so about $1000 total, had good decking. Finding good rims can be as difficult as finding tires, I had 4 great tires, so found 4 to round out the trailer, if you have no good tires swapping them all out for 17 may be the way to go.