I’m looking at an older Cat 235 excavator, the first model from the late ‘80s. Besides cracks in the boom and worn boom pin bushings and bores that were common on these older machines, does anyone know of other areas cracks might develop or problems specific to these excavators? Or any other things or areas to look at that might help identify prior hard use or weak spots. I’m looking for a bigger excavator I can afford and want to buy used, not abused, and am trying to not make a costly mistake. I like the mechanical 235 with no computer. Any input is appreciated.
Wow is that a 4 stick....or 2 stick
The Cat 235 have 2 joysticks with a forward and reverse pedal and a steering lever between them.
Check the carbody just below the slewing bearing. I've seen plenty of them crack right in the middle of the big weld. The up and down play in the slewing bearing is a big issue as well. The other common problem is the steel tubes cracking on the flanges at the control valves and leaking hydraulic oil all the time. I think a C model will the have the multi drive for the pumps. Check the oil level and look for water in the oil.
Okay thanks for that information, will deffinately look all around there. Do you know if this cracking was only the first model 235s or did it carry on through the B, C and D models. The reason I’m asking is the newer models are heavier and the steel used may possibly be thicker, the weight had to go somewhere. Maybe the counter weight is heavier or perhaps undercarriage because I heard Cat went to D7 rails and maybe more.
Those machines are old enough now that you can find cracks on any of them.
You are right, the ones I looked at had crack repairs or fish plate on the boom and stick. The last 235 had so much oil and grease on the track frame around the circle who knows until it gets cleaned off. I will clean that one next summer and examine it because the owner was easy on equipment and does excellent maintenance, not into cleaning much. It’s difficult to tell how much time a machine was used or abused because hour meters aren’t always accurate, and with machines changing hands-no records. I am still trying to find out if the later models of Cat used thicker or better steel and welding to address the cracking around the circle. If so I would like to know what series they were improved B, C, or D? If Cat made some major improvement, I may avoid the earlier ones all together.