Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Older Cat and Koehrings Excavators

john1066 ยท 2009-02-16 21:59

thought i would post some pics of our older excavators http://s26.photobucket.com/albums/c108/john1066/?action=view&current=P1160176.jpg

Replies37
  1. #1john10662009-02-16 22:26

    Here are the pictures

  2. #2john10662009-02-16 22:29

    More

  3. #3td25c2009-02-16 23:11

    Good pic's.Koehring excavaters&cranes are good units.

  4. #4cummins052009-02-17 08:36

    Is it just me being awake all night and on pain killers but isnt the cab on the oppisite side of normal ?

  5. #5Buckethead2009-02-17 09:52

    Koehrings had the cab on the right. I think most of the old manufacturers put them on the right.

  6. #6D5G2009-02-17 10:16

    Love the old Koehrings, wish there were more models of them made. In later years, some Koehring's had the cabs on the left. Is that a 1066, or an 866 in the first few pics?

  7. #7cummins052009-02-17 10:21

    Never seen one before. Did they get bought out are go under ?

  8. #8td25c2009-02-17 18:22

    I think there stil around,Koehring,Insley,Bucyrus,american were crane companys .Crane companys made the first excavaters.If you look at older cranes,on many of them you sat on the right side

  9. #9john10662009-02-17 18:30

    That is a 1066 we had an 866 but it didn't stay around long it went over the the concrete company and just screens loam

  10. #10John H2009-02-17 18:34

    That 1066 is nice but I like you'r 365 better.

  11. #11john10662009-02-17 18:56

    have you seen our 365

  12. #12John H2009-02-17 18:59

    Yes I have And some of you'r other equipment too

  13. #13john10662009-02-17 19:00

    you work for tree tech

  14. #14John H2009-02-17 19:01

    Yes I do

  15. #15john10662009-02-17 19:11

    I worked with you over at wheaton college then how you been

  16. #16John H2009-02-17 19:17

    Good and busy. How about you? And Keep those pics comming

  17. #17insleyboy2009-02-17 19:46

    Love the first pic, what is it a 466 with the back hood open so it would not overheat. Boy that brings back memories. Ours leaked so much hydraulic fluid, we had a 55 gallon drum on the top of the engine grating with a hose we pumped into the tank evey shift start and during lunch too! The darn Koehring would not die though. They fixed all the problems with it, back in the mid 80's and I here it still runs today!

  18. #18john10662009-02-17 20:10

    No thats a 505 we still have 3 but don't use them

  19. #19special tool2009-02-17 20:42

    I'm kind of partial to the 235 and 245 myself.

  20. #20RonG2009-02-18 04:38

    I ran a 366 Bantam that used 5 pails of hydraulic oil a day.One of the track motors was leaking...........kept the dust down!!They moved it to my job to load topsoil with but like everything else,nothing goes according to plan and I ended up digging cellar holes with it like it was a first line machine.Acme auto parts was right around the corner and I used to call them up and they would drop it off to me.Ron G

  21. #21finaldrive2009-02-19 22:31

    The parts distribution was taken over by Terex. Some of the Koehring machines are now supported by Minnpar. The later machines, dash 5 and 7, were built with Japanese components and parts can be found pretty easily. Waverly, Iowa is where the factory was. Brings back a lot of memories seeing a Koehring, I worked for a Koehring dealer for years.

  22. #22tyler5652@yahoo2009-02-19 23:14

    if they had their cabs on the right why did all companys go with theirs on he left just out of curiousity.

  23. #23John C.2009-02-21 00:36

    What I saw was the Japanese machines came in and took over the market. Since all of those machines were left hand cab it just became that way.

  24. #24AtlasRob2009-02-21 07:27

    Nice pictures, that 245 brings back some memories, I was on an older long lever model for a season many moons ago You obviously take great pride in your machinery and have operators that look after them. :drinkup

  25. #25john10662009-02-21 09:00

    Thats my dad he paints the counterweights when ever they come back as well as the bottom of the stick if it gets all scratched up. I don't get how people destroy them knowingly and don't do anything about it. they cost more than the houses they live in.

  26. #26Dominion 4102009-02-23 21:55

    Koehring/Cat How much reach and digging depth on your 1066?Also what type of power? Looks in nice shape to.Air over controls? No experience with Koehring here. Like the 245-good machine.Never had a chance to get seat time on one,but lots on a 235.They were popular in the Toronto area and still quite a few going yet.I my book, those 235's /245's are the benchmark to which other excavators are measured. The 235 put alot of pipe in the ground for us and was just plain tough. Dominion :canada

  27. #27Koehringman2009-11-12 09:13

    505 John, That 505 would look SWEET with a new coat of orange paint & lettering! What kind of power does this one have Cat or Detroit? Also, the 1066 Is this same machine on a Koehring brochure? I have a 1066 brochure that shows a 1066 in what looks like the same environment. Lots of pine trees. with a dirt rd going through the middle.

  28. #28RANDY ROME2009-11-12 21:12

    good photos came out strong this old caterpillar excavator

  29. #29john10662009-11-12 23:16

    That 1066 is in a brocheur if you read it you will see our name

  30. #30tripper_1742009-11-13 09:59

    For a very brief period I owned a Koehring 6620. Was a very good little machine. It was rounded off and looked very Hitachi liike, not squared off like the older Koehrings. Does anybody know who built these for Koehring? It had an Isuzu diesel and was miserly on fuel. Sold it up north where it had a really tough life.

  31. #31vin55632009-12-04 17:50

    Tripper i have a 1989 6620 LC-5. Was trying to find out who made them also. Did you have any luck ? Also looking for a shop manual for my machine, do you have any contacts for getting one. Thanks

  32. #32Koehringman2009-12-04 19:39

    6620 I'm sketchy here. Ishikawajima Heavy Industries { IHI } teamed up with Koehring in 1952. Starting in 1989 there was a license argeement signed for Koehring to manufacture their excavators in the USA. The 6620 { 66-hydraulic 20- 20 ton }. More than likley is an IHI, with a Koehring suit. IHI model? Don't know. Terex now has Koehring. Excavators stopped in the early 90's. Maybe they can get books for this. Ebay is an excellent source too. Type in Koehring in the search bar. The Historical Construction Equipment Association Might be able to help out.

  33. #33Koehringman2009-12-04 19:41

    P.s. I ran my Koehring today.

  34. #34vin55632009-12-04 19:48

    Thanks for the info. Will look online for them. Everytime i operate my 6620 and operate more than one function it bogs the engine down and blows back smoke. I have started changing filters etc.

  35. #35tripper_1742009-12-04 19:55

    Thanks KM! That all makes sense. Sorry Vin, no luck with the manual. I called up to the guys who bought it but they didn't have it anymore. How do you like the machine? I thought it was a very good machine for its' time.

  36. #36Koehringman2009-12-04 20:10

    Isuzu Sounds like a governer or fuel injection issue. Might want to look up troubleshooting on those motors. The 6620 has the Isuzu model 6BD1T direct fuel injected 4 stroke diesel with a turbocharger. Those turbo's I think are powered off the oil pump. Maybe drain the oil, get some crankcase flush & clean it out then put in new oil in, might help.

  37. #37vin55632009-12-05 01:42

    Great size machine, had lots of power before this started. I had a 690 B model before getting the 6620. Trust me the 6620 is twice the machine.