Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Older Safety Issue

Tiny · 2010-11-16 21:35

Old Guy Safety Issue Last week I was reading a construction magazine at work (don't recall the name) and I noticed in the back it lists accidents,causes , the persons name , age and severity of injury. The thing that stuck me wasn't the accidents themselves but the age of the person . In the magazine I had most were in their high 40s to low 60s . That really made me take notice . Not sure if being complacent is the biggest factor or not . I do think its a factor. Now I don't want the older gentlemen to think I'm picking on them because I'm one of you . (Will be 52 at the end of November) So older Gents tell us what you think.Was that magazine a fluke or is there something to that? The reason I ask.....I don't want to be listed in that magazine.

Replies14
  1. #1mitch5042010-11-16 22:28

    The average age of us is increasing, if you haven't noticed. Also, you may have noticed that injuries that we would have shrugged off at 20, stall you out at 40, and I can only imagine how it is for you seniors.

  2. #2Tiny2010-11-16 22:59

    Thanks Buddy,...That may well play a part. When things got slow last year the young guys were on the bottom and laided off

  3. #3digger242j2010-11-17 02:18

    Us youngsters don't read magazines at work. We pay attention to what we're doing... :tong

  4. #4mitch5042010-11-17 02:41

    Thanks digger

  5. #5Tiny2010-11-17 19:37

    You haven't heard of multitasking ?????

  6. #6OFF2010-11-18 18:09

    I wonder if the older workers getting injured aren't a product of the economy. By that I mean people out of work in thier field, finding work in other fields where they have no experience.....and without the reflexs of a 20 year old........they are getting hurt. :beatsme

  7. #7grandpa2010-11-18 18:22

    I find many things that could lead to the outcome of this study....1) Never believe what you read and only half of what you see 2)What were the parameters of the Study? 3) What was the age group of those studied? 4) But the real main reason I believe the report to be a bunch of hoooouie,, Is that at age 52 I question the ability of this thread author to remember for a seven day span......:lmao:lmao:lmao:falldownlaugh

  8. #8stock2010-11-22 11:38

    Statistically the most accident age groups are the 18 to 26 due to inexperience,and 50+ due to the body wearing out.Remember poor joints,poorer eye sight,hearing slower reflexes etc etc. This is a world wide phenomena same with the age groups involved over here.

  9. #9Stevenbrla2010-11-22 12:48

    Maybe the youngsters just aren't reporting all theirs...

  10. #10stock2010-11-22 13:16

    Some stats form Ireland Agriculture, hunting and forestry Total 13 deaths Less than 18 years 5.7% Between 18 and 24 years 8.1% Between 25 and 34 years 6.9% Between 35 and 44 years 8.2% Between 45 and 54 years 13.1% Between 55 and 64 years 20.9% 65 years and over 45.1% Construction Total 10 deaths Less than 18 years 3% Between 18 and 24 years 7.6% Between 25 and 34 years 7.7% Between 35 and 44 years 9.1% Between 45 and 54 years 11.6% Between 55 and 64 years 16.2% 65 years and over 18.9% Figure 65 presents the incident rate for selected economic sectors by selected member states. The two highestrisk sectors in Ireland – agriculture (A) and construction (F) – were selected for this query. Irish rates are compared to those for the EU15, Sweden and the UK. Ireland’s non-fatal incident rate is considerably below the EU15 average in both agriculture and construction. Figure 65: Comparison of incidence rates in all sectors/agriculture/construction for EU15 and selected EU states 2000-2004 Sector key: A = Agriculture, F = Construction

  11. #11Dmconstruct2011-11-26 11:58

    The last annual safety meeting I attended discussed that the most accident prone age group was in fact 40 - 60 yr olds. The instructor stated that these gentlemen get complacent cocky and arrogant. " I've done it this way a thousand times" Eventhough it was this last time that got the someone in the crew hurt.

  12. #12Garrie Denny2011-11-28 19:58

    No titty mags ?

  13. #13GAmeric2011-12-15 18:00

    Hmm seems like I heard that alot when I was workign as an engineer with a large company. A majority of the accident reports going around we typically 40 and up occasionally it was 20-30 range but then it was a new engineer or surveyor doing something stupid.

  14. #14CM19952011-12-15 20:44

    Hmmm, Garrie this is a heavy equipment forum. There are many other venues on the 'net that supply all sorts of information, however this is not one of them...:cool2