Was wondering if anyone knew of somewhere to perchase new or reconditioned chains for a cletrac bd.or even a different brand that may fit
There use to be a place in PA, it was ran by the amish and they did real nice work. I haven't owned a cletrac for many moons now so I'm not positive of how to get a hold of them.
Thanks for the tip I was trying to find somewhere here in Australia.although I see their is a place called Zimmerman in the states
Mate, they are near impossible to find here, Unless you find a wrecked machine.
I'm working all that out.they used to build things right.only thing is if it takes 70 years to wear out replacements are in possible.does anyone know of a brand or type of chain that would fit.eg.fiat 411 or cat d2.......
I think you really need to post the dimensions, i.e.: The pitch, the pin diameters, the width of the assembled chain links, etc.
I am fairly sure, that oliver/cletrac trackgear is different to anything else. I know a guy that put his DDH onto Cat D5 walking gear,But everything has to be modified The front idlers don't lend themselves to other track chains . Got another mate that has a BD . I will see if he has any suggestions.
Thanks for the advice and help.I'll get the measurements when I'm out there today.so I can post them
I know next to nothing about dozers but that never stopped me in the past! Would it be possible to buy the sprocket ring gear off a common older Cat like Nitelite welded to repair his track loader? Then at least you would have something with the right pitch to fit a Cat track.
Yair . . . kshansen Good point, I am sure it would be possible. Depends on how dedicated the owner is to getting the machine going, I don't believe the sprocket rims are all that expensive but it is an awful lot of work and I am unsure about the compatibility of his existing walking gear to conventional . . . there was something different about Oliver/Cletracs and I just can't remember. I think the bushes rotated on the pins was one thing, perhaps someone on here can remind us or post some pictures? Cheers.
I have found out.if the old guy is correct.please inform me if he is wrong.that cats use every second tooth where as the oliver uses every tooth on the drive sprocket.also he thinks fiat are very close.so without changing idlers I may be able to use fiat chains and the outer ring on the sprocket.but also the dimensions of my chains are.pin to pin.171mm.link length.235mm.link height 91 mm.link width 180 mm.@30 links.shoe bolts are155 mm..120 mm and are 50 mm apart.shoes are 355 mm x 180 mm. The pin is 31 mm thick x 187 mm.bush on pin is 63 mm round 76 mm long.I'll get a few photos today to post also.and the machine is worth getting going.the old Hercules motor just sings beautifully
Count the teeth on the sprocket, if they are an even number they use every other tooth and chain would have to be jumped one tooth to distribute wear. Doesn't apply if every other tooth is blanked. If the tooth count is an odd number than it is a hunting tooth and every tooth gets used. I am not aware of any interchange rails although your 171mm link length is close to the 6.75in. pitch of the Early D4's and D6's. Cletrac uses a very wide rail with split two wheel front idler. I believe Zimmerman Oliver Cletrac in the U.S. produces replacement bushings and pins but I don't know about rails. If anyone knows, that would be the source www.olivercletrac.com Phone 717-738-2573.
I once bought a transmission out of a 450 B Deere and I noticed it had a odd looking set of tracks on it. The owner said it had Cletrac chain on it, the undercarriage was scrap on it so I don't know how well it fit the sprocket or idler but maybe a possibility as Deere stuff is everywhere.
It does run every second tooth.has 26 teeth.bushes spin on pins.I can't work out how to post photos.sorry
Ref posting photos - when you want to reply to a post you will see a row of icons above where you are typing. Hover your mouse above the third one from the right and a message "insert image" will come up. Click on that and easy peasy from that point.
brokenchains, contact Sapphire Coast Tractor Parts and have a yarn to Chris. Ph No (02)64956233. If he aint got it he can get it
Air powered drill rigs used Oliver undercarriage. Some old Deere chain had the same pitch but had wider rails. Saw one HG with Deere rollers and modified idler. Muck (peat soils) farms have a way of keeping them running. Crawler heaven rebuild a bunch in competition with Zimmerman but I heard his smoking habit caught up with the owner.
Thanks tones.I'll give him a try and let you know what the outcome is