Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Oliver DDH Questions

ACcrazy ยท 2011-09-14 22:29

Okay guys, I may have found a dozer for home use. I haven't seen the machine yet but I've spoken with the owner over the phone and other than needing engine work, it sounds like the rest is in nice condition. It's supposedly a 1942 model. Now, back to the engine. It's a diesel Hercules and it has 3 cracked liners. Not sure why it would crack 3 of them but there it is. Will I be able to get everything I'll need to rebuild this engine? Will it be a killer to the pocketbook? Any advice or help is greatly appreciated.

Replies21
  1. #1Dickjr.2011-09-15 14:55

    Do a search on Zimmerman Tractor , they have a lot of knowledge about these machines. I would use caution with a machine near 70 years old . As far as the hercules , there are parts out there , they had other applications. How much work are you gonna do? If its a lot you may look into a D6C or D. I use to collect oliver tractors had about 16 different ones . They are pretty cool and some were ahead of times. Cletrac made the first High Drive dozer , not Cat. Model F I believe. Steered with a steering wheel. They also had a type of differential steer in the late 50s early 60s. They used air for steering to ease operator fatigue. Good luck.

  2. #2ACcrazy2011-09-15 21:34

    Thanks Dickjr. There's no way I could afford a D6 that's why I'm looking into a machine such as this. I saw that Cletrac high drive during my internet searching. Pretty cool. So, did you get rid of your Oliver machines? Oh, as far as how much work I'll do? Not much. I have a few acres of steep forest land with a road that needs to be maintained. That and maybe bring out some firewood from time to time.

  3. #3250c2011-09-18 12:12

    ACcrazy I'm not familar with that machine but if that engine is a d198 4cyl or a d298 6cyl I have several of each in any shape you want them.

  4. #4ACcrazy2011-09-18 14:50

    Wow, thanks 250c! I believe it's a 6 cylinder but I don't know the designation. I may be talking to you in the future once I figure out what it is.

  5. #5Old Magnet2011-09-23 12:44

    According to my old Federal Mogul bearing book the DD models used a 6-cyl Hercules engine model DRXB that seems to be in two versions, a 4-3/8 or 4-5/8 bore x 5-1/4 stroke.

  6. #6ACcrazy2011-09-23 20:56

    Thanks much Old Magnet! :thumbsup

  7. #7loggah2011-09-24 18:57

    Those old Hercules diesels are hard to find parts for, but Zimmerman might have the stuff. If you are going to use it for a lot of work i would suggest trying some other make . i had a lot of oliver cletrac crawlers once i'm down to half a dozen now. Don

  8. #8ACcrazy2011-09-24 21:48

    Loggah- Yes, they do seem to be extremely hard to find parts for. The parts I HAVE been able to find are hugely expensive. I don't know. I'm kinda rethinking this deal. What good would it do me if I purchase the machine super cheap but not be able to afford (or find the parts for) the engine rebuild? Would an International TD6 4 cylinder diesel be easier to find parts for? Cheaper? There's one about 2.5 hours away from me I could get for a pretty reasonable deal. Equipped with a blade and winch as well.

  9. #9loggah2011-09-25 08:13

    Theres quite a few of the old td6 internationals around here,not sure in your area. The engine parts are a lot easier to find then Hercules, they used them as power units,ud6 and in some early farm tractors . I really like the old cletracs its just the engines are a pain to get parts for. Don

  10. #10ACcrazy2011-10-03 09:58

    Don--or anyone--how hard are the rest of the parts for the machine to get? Like for instance steering clutches, brakes, track parts, rollers, etc. I'm gonna go look at this thing next weekend. I'll take pics and post them up here.

  11. #11Old Magnet2011-10-04 10:25

    The beauty of the Cletrac's is there are no steering clutches. Steering is by differential and brakes only, (simple brake band operation). Also one of the firsts to have a circulating oil pump for the transmission, differential and finals. Track parts are pretty much limited to used, except I believe Zimmerman may have pins and bushings.

  12. #12Sparkie2011-10-04 14:05

    That is one benefit you'll have over a TD. It took my great grandpa like 4 years to find steering clutches for our 9.

  13. #13loggah2011-10-04 14:32

    The Cletrac drivetrain is pretty simple, but when it comes to undercarriage parts ,sometimes you have to buy complete parts machines to get what you need,machines that loose an engine sometimes will have near new undercarriage parts . Don

  14. #14ACcrazy2011-10-05 08:31

    Excellent. Thanks guys.

  15. #15ACcrazy2011-10-09 13:57

    Well, I've decided to pass on this machine. The past two weekends were planned around going to look at this thing and each time the owner said "well, I really can't do it this weekend, lets try next weekend"... I've been waiting over a month to look at this thing. And in the meantime, I'm pretty sure the TD6 is gone. I thanked him for his time and told him I'll pass. Any of you generous souls want to donate a dozer to a good cause? The cause being me. :laugh

  16. #16ACcrazy2012-08-27 15:49

    Here we go again. Found another one of these machines--and it actually runs! So says the owner. I haven't seen it yet but it sounds decent. It has a hydraulic blade, a winch and a canopy. It also has a partial parts machine that comes with it. $2500.00. Does that sound like an okay deal?

  17. #17truckdoctor2012-08-27 16:53

    There's a company in Lodi that deals in Cletrac crawlers and parts. I don't remember the name but I know they were a Cletrac dealer when Cletrac was in business. I found out about them from a t.v. show called Classic Tractor Fever. The show is on RFD-TV.

  18. #18MBTRAC2012-08-27 20:58

    Good luck & hope your locate a good one - For their time these are a really fine machine, & there a few "gems" around- though lots of arm & leg work operating compared to a more modern dozer. Mate of mine runs this dozer, a real lucky find for him as he was on a tight budget (having previously poured buckets of $'s into an old D4 with very little outcome) - As I recall he picked it up for about AUS$6K (including a wreck for spares + another set of U/C ) & it is in excellent condition. The old Oliver likes being worked hard, proving good for pushing/clearing light timber/bush & for it's size (at a guess 65 - 75hp) has clydesdale stallions rather than standard horse power.....he's even dug a few small dams with it... the operator generally stops from the "workout" well before this old girl wants to quit for the day - I'm sure it's going to outlast him.

  19. #19classicdrummer2013-06-24 21:42

    Hi, I have a Oliver DDH and some parts also. Hercules-DRXB engine. Let me know if you are still looking

  20. #20classicdrummer2014-01-25 21:02

    I have some Hercules DRXB engine parts from an Oliver ddh. I found a new one still in the crate so I have a complete engine dismantled and clean in storage.

  21. #21ACcrazy2014-01-25 21:09

    Hi classicdrummer. Are you saying you have a DDH dozer and parts you're wanting to sell? P.S. I'm a drummer as well. My forte being '80s style Metal and Hard Rock.