Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

On or off

cuttin edge ยท 2025-09-12 20:59

Normal ppe hat class 2. Chin straps are getting popular. High vis vest. Boots 8 inch. Eye protection when needed, same as hearing protection. When I leave the house boots and vest are on. Some put boots on when they arrive. I'm too lazy unless I have an appointment. Vest stays on till I get home. Some take it off everytime they get in a vehicle. Some take it off to go to the store. I once walked into the hardware store with my helmet on. People at the grocery store sometimes think im the cart guy. Maybe im too old to think about im wearing

Replies6
  1. #1crane operator2025-09-12 22:16

    Two local general contractors have now mandated the chin strap hard hats. I don't have one yet. I need to buy a bunch of safety vests again for me and the guys. They tend to disappear into trucks, pickups, cranes, shops, etc... I got some of the reflective yellow shirts a few years ago, but I sure dont' like them in hot weather. The tags say they "breathe" but my sweat would like to have a word with them. I don't wear my hard hat in the crane, I figure the cab is my protection, plus if I look up, the hat hits the top window. I've always got on steel toe, safety glasses, vest if I'm going to the quarry or a big contractor site, and hard hat is about 80% of the time.

  2. #2Truck Shop2025-09-13 12:57

    In a perking lot I don't wear a vest towing, but anywhere near a roadway absolutely. In this state operating any type of emergency vehicle, road service or tow truck along side road with no vest, It just might cause a stop from WSP DOT. If on a law enforcement tow, it will definitely be brought to your attention. I know I've made fun of hi-viz in the past, but the possibility of being hit is likely. Momma want's me to come home walking. * Safety glasses absolutely, right along with gloves.

  3. #3skyking12025-09-14 01:25

    I'll forget the vest all the time, leave it on till I get home. Safety glasses are a fight for me. I put them on when needed or mandated, but have no need in the cab of the equipment.

  4. #4JLarson2025-09-14 03:56

    I wear composite toe pretty much all the time, don't even own anything like tennis shoes, just hiking boots with composite toe. We have to wear FR on a lot of sites so yellow/green or orange hi viz long sleeves. Here it's often the opposite, have to tell cops to get a vest on at road jobs when they're working traffic or at main breaks.

  5. #5Truck Shop2025-09-14 08:38

    It's because they have Blue lights, a false sense of security. Here, I don't know about else where if Blue lights are flashing ahead, it's the law to move over and yield right away to emergency vehicles or law enforcement. But it's not something to bank on.

  6. #6cuttin edge2025-09-14 10:50

    Here if an emergency vehicle is crossing a 2 lane bridge they are supposed to turn their lights off. Some people will try and pull over then no one can get through