Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

On the job difference radial/vertical lift

Dwightgry ยท 2011-03-16 11:23

I am seeking information on the practical differences between radial and vertical lift format machines. I am intending to purchase a skidsteer for general use, not specializing in either digging or loading. Under consideration is the Bocat S220/S250 series. I understand that radius is better for digging and maybe leveling, while vertical is better for loading. Unknown to me is which would be better for general use. There seems to be more vertical lift S250 available in the used market. Can they still dig, and is there weight layout configured adequately for backblading/leveling/grading? Just how much inferior are they to the S220, given my understanding that their weight configuration is biased toward the rear enabling higher loading capacity? Is the S250 front end lightened so much that it won't be able to get adequate down pressure on the bucket for ground penetration? My use would not be high-production loading, and I won't be digging basements so optimum performance in either category is not essential, but would rather be general purpose work that would involve some of everything. As well, I would like to know the difference between S250/S300 class machines. They both seem to be the same frame/engine specs, with perhaps more weight added. Does the simple addition of extra weight increase ROC, or is there another factor? And is there any great advantage to moving up in ROC on the same frame, or is one over-powered/under powered? I've used Bobcat as a reference brand, but all makes have the similar models. Lots of questions, but I've read many posts in this forum, and there seems to be great depth of experience. Thanks to all who read and answer.

Replies9
  1. #1DrJim2011-03-16 19:59

    Well, as only one of the forum's practicing dentists, I'll jump in here and be the first to provide some know-it-all advice. I've seen that stuff about how the radius lift types are "better" for grading, and as an operator of both kinds, I'm not sure quite why they say that. The radius lift machines may sometimes have better visibility at some angles--this will differ from brand-to-brand. From my viewpoint, the reason that radius lift is "better for grading" is that they are typically a little cheaper to build and buy. I currently have a Bobcat 773Turbo, the equivalent of the recent S185. In that size machine, I find it pushes as well as anything else. Where the difference lies is the occasional time when you do need to load something. Of course, my machine is hardly big enough for much loading. . but I've filled full-size trucks with brush or garbage using my grapple bucket--loading chores that you would never be able to do with the radius-lift 763. Atco may jump in here re: the S250/T250's. For some reason, neither one of us are particularly crazy about that model. I really like the S300/T300, if you need a machine that large. The S205 is also a great machine in my opinion, a step up in size from the S185. The S250/300 machines test the limit of what you can haul trailer/machine/bucket/+ extra bucket behind a 3/4' ton pickup or dually w/ bumper pull. Even with gooseneck, they are a load. Bigger load means bigger trailer= greater trailer weight, which adds to the total going towards your rigs maximum rated towing capacity. (For bumper pull, see Curt Mfg. for hitches rated to handle these loads.) Just for my "S185", I use a 12,000lb GVWR Contrail 16' trailer. When I rent a T300, the machine and 1 bucket is all I want behind my Duramax 2500. Sometimes it's nice to be quick and nimble. I prefer the S185-S205 size to own--if you need a bigger machine for a dig, rent a T300 for a weekend. Now if you'll just step to the front counter and pay my receptionist, and be sure to floss. . . .

  2. #2WV earth mover2011-03-16 20:30

    the only thing i have ever thought vertical lift was better for was loading a truck that requires you to lift up full height to dump otherwise after 12 years of operating both i would always pick radial although i cant speak for bobcat vertical lift on a newholland,john deere,cat get way to sloppy in less than half the time than radial they dont handle sideways pressure near as well and while they gain a few inches of reach at full height they take it away at half height where you use to load on and off flatbeds with forks or load material into small dumptrucks and things like augers,hammers are around 6 to 10 closer to operater at the height they are used

  3. #3Colorado Digger2011-03-16 21:05

    ????? I don't tell me you sweat over moving a skid steer doc. normally we move a 300 with 2 or 3 buckets, rock rake, forks. then we add a walk behind. no big deal. we are at 7-10,000 feet with snow, gravel, base.. county roads. we hauled a 300 up to a miserable place to rescue a a dozen or so hunters. the road was so bad we chained up but no way in hell were we gonna haul it back down. 2 and a 1/2 half hours later and 30 miles i drove it onto the trailer at about 11 pm

  4. #4DrJim2011-03-16 22:17

    Oh, come on, CD, I figured Dwight as a "regular" guy, or he wouldn't have been asking nothing. What are you pulling that 300 & stuff with, an F550? I sorta agree with some of WV earth mover's remarks. There is more side motion--I don't put a lot of side stress/abuse on mine. I do stack hay in the barn, and the vertical lift helps with the top row. WV man, where are you at? Don't happen to be from Big Otter, Snake Fork, or any of those big cities? I spent some time there working for $ .75/ hour back in the '70's. . . . And we snaked "mining timbers" out with a mule for $ .02 per linear foot. . . . Would like to put ol'd Colorado Digger on one of those old 8N's with the belly mowers, mowing those hillside pastures. And we baled with a square baler with a big ol'd Wisconsin motor mounted on an offset mount to the uphill side, to keep the baler from turning over.

  5. #5DrJim2011-03-16 22:21

    And CD, what does "Senior" member mean, anyway? Old? ( I'm too far away for you to smack. . . . :bouncegri )

  6. #6KSSS2011-03-16 23:37

    I like the radial lift machines for grading and general skid steer type work. They tend (at least CASE) machines to have faster cycle times. Like mentioned when it comes to truck loading though the reach on the Vertical machines makes the task much easier. Each has its advantages. Thats why I have both. If I could have only one it would depend on how much truck loading I did, next would be heavy lifting as the ROCs on the Vertical machines are higher.

  7. #7dave esterns2011-03-16 23:56

    as a general rule, radial machines have much higher bucket breakout force and lift arm force than a vertical machine, which the simple rugged design allows for. all brands do it differently tho. i would have no use for a radial machine on the farm. the boom spends just as much time up as it does down.

  8. #8WV earth mover2011-03-17 21:32

    not from any of those places Dr jim but yes there are plenty of steep pastures here to . Its one of the only places you might see a post driver or brush hog on a dozer

  9. #9Ryanrb252011-03-19 07:47

    i agree with KSSS...they are purpose built...if your not loading alot of trucks (i can be done still) then stick to the radial path machines. Less Pins, less pivot points to wear out, less grease. We have 9 bobcats. 8 of them are vertical path arms. 2 of them are s185, 3 of them s250' and 3 are s300's. The radial arm machine is a S630. Has the power of a S250, little but narrower but has the radial path arms....i suggest you check out this machine. Our guys dont like it for loading trucks but for ground work and strength...she's unreal.! Just for the record...our vertical path bobcats have stood the test of time with all kinds of harsh work, digging etc..and still are very tight and are used for detailed ground preperation aswell. Check it out! BOBCAT S630.