Need some new low end communication. Anybody tried these Motorola MR350R http://www.walmart.com/ip/Motorola-...hannels-121-Privacy-Codes-NOAA-Alert/10913181
I had some that were either the same or one model down from those. They worked pretty good, and lasted a long time. Not perfect, but hard to beat anywhere near the price.
Think I'll try them, I have some older Motorola talkabouts but the batterys are shot and new batterys are more than I paid for the set. Regular AA's work but it's a pain keeping all those batteries on hand and they usually go dead at the worst time.
motorolla is a good unit. if you get spare batt packs, rotate them routinely you'll be good to go for some time. as a ham radio operator i wondered whether you have a preference for vhf or uhf, what ranges you operate over and such but it sounds like just a small area (less that a couple miles) and that you have it handled.
did you try a battery store that rebuilds battery packs...
I've got an old set we used to use when driving multiple cars a long distance. These were good for about five miles and the store clerk asked if we had the right licenses. I'd heard that years before for CBs so I told them we did and walked out of the store with the pair. I've haven't used them for about five years now.
Cobra walkies are good too. Kyle
CB radios require, i believe, a class D license though as you mention it is by and large ignored. However, were you to try operating on the neighboring 2 meter FM band you'd no doubt be the subject of a 'fox hunt' by the local amateur community. I don't know how much attention is paid to 'business frequencies'.
When i lived and worked in the valley we always used Cooks Comunications out of Fresno, www.cookscom.com great service....
Thanks Tonka but all we need is something that will cover the jobsites, higher end units would be to expensive besides they are prone to being lost, dropped and run over.
and they can't swim either Lost a 400 dollar Motorola in a Ma bell manhole.... yelled at... yelled back.... buy some holsters for the radios... Next day new radio and holster... plus about 20 more holsters for the other guys
Hey folks, Don't throw those batteries out or don't get new walkie talkies because batteries are gone. Check out UTUBE.com for how to bring most nicad batteries back to life. It really works. Search on "batteries recondition". There are a number of film clips on how to restore batteries. Many of these clips use the power from an arc welder. I use my 200-amp battery charger and it does work. So now you can keep older equipment without buying new batteries. Good luck. Chris