Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

One big stump

bannerd ยท 2016-08-29 11:12

After a few hours Saturday, I dug out some more for the concrete trucks to get into the pad to pour the foundation. We have some big red pines which I downed. Few hours with the hoe and I finally moved the stump out. I figured the front end loader would pick it up. With the 207D tach'd out it lifted it about an inch and the pressure relieve was hit. I was able to drag it to the field where I used the ** 165 to move it to the stump hole to rot. I have to say the case 580 is one hell of a machine :usa

Replies4
  1. #1blademan1502016-08-29 13:29

    Here is picture of stump we dug out when I was a kid ( brother behind the controls and me acting as counterweight on the armrest) machine was an old stick shift 977 we could go forward easy enough but couldn't back up without setting bucket down and dragging it

  2. #2NH575E2016-08-29 15:33

    Those are some niceuns! Here is a sweetgum I pulled from in front of my house.

  3. #3hosspuller2016-08-29 22:20

    Silver maple. Weakened by topping years ago. (don't allow anyone to top your trees if you want them around years later) Ain't she cute ... The backhoe 310C The dog & Stump... Two days more digging later...

  4. #4Willie B2016-08-30 06:51

    My very first paid project involved a white pine stump 30 years old. It was 44" diameter. I was confident it'd scrape the top off with the hoe. The pine stump proved to be maple. If rot affected it at all I couldn't tell that day. Ultimately I dug 9' deep all around it, tearing off one root at a time. I couldn't lift it with either bucket of a John Deere 410. Digging that deep, it tipped over, and I was able to dig the center of the hole out. It's now 4 feet below grade, and a slight hump in the lawn. It'll take a long while to rot down, then the lawn should be flat. Willie