this is local 150's new training site in wilmington, il. well over 200 acres and over 150 machines. all free to use for any member. we have cranes from a 3900 down to a carrydeck. and an overhead crane for powerplant training.
and we didn't forget dirt and pipeline. we have more iron than most good sized earthmovers.
what about rain day's? rain, no problem. you can practice digging, grading, or paving, indoor's.*** if you are ready for something else, welding, wrenching, haz mat, soils and materials testing and many other things are taught here. FREE! if they only had an on site tavern, i'd never leave.:drinkup
Interesting.. I want to know more. I don't have much union knowledge but how many of these training yards around? That's not what I pictured it would be like but much better.
who pays i have no real knowledge of your union system but i would like to ask a question you state that it is all free ,so who does actually pay for it all is it government funded cheers graham
I see in your last picture there is a Miller (non-union) welding machine.... I've heard some jobs you were shamed pretty bad if you showed up with a miller. Kirk DeFoor
1% of our 3% working dues go towards paying off the purchase and construction of the site. the contractors and government partially fund the operation of the site. as for miller, i didn't realise they were ratty, but i personally own a bluestar 2e and it welds better than any lincoln or hobart. imho.
Well q, hobart is owned by miller. As for your training center, blows ours out of the water. But we cant talk about unions on this site. As for how many. In general, each local has a training site. 324 has one in Howell Mi. Funding, its paid for out of our dues, but without training, your going to sit at home. Our CCO tests are performed at training center, at no cost to us. I also believe some of the iron has government funding. Our local has several "surplus" D7Es from the military, also a few 621s. We have a few old pieces of equipment sitting out back in the training center. The way I understand it, they are government property, so we can not sell it off, but have to find a non profit to sell it/give it too. Or we can sell the iron and give the money to an organization that fits the requirements.
dues so do your dues come out of your wage packet is it a percentage of what you earn or a set amount sorry for the questions but i know nothing about how your unions work :beatsme cheers graham
graham, under my contract, i make $42.00 an hour straight time. plus 9.60 health and welfare .75 h&w annuity 6.55 pension .50 retirement annuity 1.90 vacation savings plan 1.00 to the apprenticeship fund all i pay in dues is 3% gross and $100.50 a quarter. bar none the best benifits and wages around.:usa:drinkup
:Banghead shhhhh...maybe "he" wont see the thread, and it will stay open for a couple more hours Brother Q, looks like your living the dream...keep the pics coming!
well, it would be better if i was working. but the list is getting shorter and the days are gettin' longer. looks like we lost the olympics here, we were kinda hoping for them.
OETIO has a setup similar to that .. Q you sure there's government money involved?? . .Local 793 is quite proud of the fact not a tax payer dollar goes into the training program ..WE the member's put up the cost ..half the reason i paid over 2K in union due's last year ...all out of the package of course... Cool spot ..I must make the pilgramage to said site and evalluate the equipment first hand ... I need a travel card for that ..***
I never heard of that. Equipment mechanics with their own trucks seem to run all different brands Lincoln, Miller, occasionally Hobart. I know the pipeline welders prefer the old Lincoln SA-200 Pipeliners, so much that very few of them have anything else on their trucks. I don't know if that has anything to do with unionism or not. It may just be a pipeline thing.
my bad. i just called the assistant co-ordinator. no government money is used to fund or run the center. NO TAX MONEY!
i think it is a pipeliners thing. they are a different breed.*** my bluestar is almost 30 years old, and still turns and burns.:usa
RE: welding machines I did some searching around I found this site http://en.allexperts.com/q/Welding-3487/2008/10/welding-ma It helps explain why the Lincolns are favored over Millers on gas pipeline welding.
Oetio
more OETIO
awww, we got one of those cute kobelco 8500's too.
and more
And more
well, you got us beat, we only have one tower crane.
and more !
and more
a few more
Even I have to say that is impressive facility.
I dont have pictures ..but our Earth moving division is located in Morrisberg Ontario .
you canuck's run a class act.
FYI, miller and hobart are owned by ITW, aka illinois tool works
Nice post guys, lets see if we can keep this on topics now. :Banghead:Banghead:Banghead:Banghead:Banghead I sure hope this topic doesn't get 'locked' like the last one.
Brother Q, you forgot to show them the front of the place! Thats the backdoor!! Just kidding!!! Looks like a University building. Or the Halls Of Justice. I'm so proud that we get to go there and run some of the newest equipment in such a nice facility. Not only is the equipment great, but the indoor arena makes it even better. Nothing like running a backhoe with the windows down, doors open in a t-shirt during a Chicago winter. The classrooms are impressive as well, and can hold roughly 35 guys. All have overhead digital projectors, and are hooked to the internet and powerpoint capable. The pictures don't really do the place justice.(no offense Q) You gotta see it firsthand to appreciate what the power of solidarity can build. Been there at least 30 times and still amazing, every time I pull into the gate.:usa The cheeseburgers are killer too...
i forgot to mention the cafeteria.
Theres some reasons why the waiting list to get into our apprentice program is 5000 people long. I like the drive thru lecture hall!:usa
dude, it's at over 9500. saw yer brother in law down there today, so the place must be great.***
christ! where do i sign?
wish i could say come on down, but the wait is HUGE.:Banghead
hey liebherr-you need to hop up here and get a pic or two of the entire facility.:woohoo
i would if i could but right now I'm 2200 km's away from this one and 1800 km's from the other.. 793 has two Facilities.. the one shown also has state of the art crane simulator's,class room's,model's and mock up's.. its a lot, and worth every dime the membership puts in . We've had Canadian Military, guys from various fields from all different state's ,they have had trained South Americans the list goes on .The system that 793 has put into place is pretty much the whole model for other Locals, and universally the Locals share knowledge and curriculum in return to meet the standard's that today's industry now demand. Right now ,an apprenticeship for concrete pumps is being devised ...Local 793& OETIO have been invited by the government to help with the curriculum and host the the training. it is no joking matter ..Its not gonna be an easily beat system to get licensed through 793 once it becomes law to have a licensed operator on a concrete pump..After all there's a reputation to uphold something 793 takes seriously and with great pride.
That is amazing....I cannot believe I made it this far without ever seeing any of that.
it makes an ok operator good. and a good operator gooderer
What does it do for a hammerhands??
well, i gotta ask, whats a hammerhand?:beatsme
Maybe they could hire a english teacher
and spanish, too!:Banghead
From the forum rules: Qball, WHY must you push the limits?? I don't for one single second believe it's because you're too dumb to recognize them... :cool2
Digger, I am not trying to throw gas on a raging fire, but I really don't think qball meant his comment in any malicous way. Is it not true that in some professions that knowing spanish could be / is a great tool? Look at the police, they have to be able to speak multiple languages. Like I said I'm not trying to throw gas on the fire, but I felt obligated to add my 2 cents.
Well if you ask me, Cretebaby was the one being arrogant,making statements to put down a fellow member, but since Qball supports the unions, its all his fault! Same crap new day.......
Yep, I am getting the feeling that if you are pro-union, you really aren't welcome here. Sad, really.
Learn to read the smilies, boys. Cretebaby used the big grin: ...and qball used the banghead: :Banghead If it was truly arrogant, why use the big grin? Wouldn't the rolleyes be better? ( ) It was obvious to me that qball's butchering of the language was in fun, as was Cretebaby'y reply. If it's such a great tool, why the expression of frustration? Why not the thumbsup? ( :thumbsup ) I don't give a rat's behind which side of the union question you're on, and I'm not even keeping track. My statement to qball was based only on the contents of that post, as related to the forum rules. You got a problem with that?
No, Digger, I don't have any problem with that whatsoever. I promise next time I will either read up on the 'smilies' or not post.
Wow some of you need to lighten up:drinkup
Thats one of the most extraordinary statements I've seen yet. I think you need to do some real research on this forum before coming out with such statements.
Squizzy, My comment is in referrence to the recent pro-union thread that got off track (mostly because Cretebaby doesn't like unions, IMO) and then had to be locked. Now this topic is trying to get off pace, and it sickens me that some people that don't like unions can come in and destroy the topic, have it locked, and keep posting. I'm very sorry if you didn't like my comment, but that is how I see things. I try not to cause any trouble on this board, because for the most part, this is a great place. I am just tired of people that oppose unions comming in and trying to completely ruin a topic. Thats all I have to say.
Lets get this clear. The thread to which you refer was temporarily closed because it was getting out of control...ie..it was getting personal and was really just starting to trade insults. The various insinuations that this board is moderated from a personal view of unions is just a crock of crap...too put it mildly. Go have a look, do some searches. I've been here for over 4 years and have only mentioned the word union 3 times and thats cause I like "Rugby Union"!. I'm give up my time from running a struggling small business to try and help out here. I think this is a great forum. Its difficult to be 100% totally impartial on everything however, I can tell you now nobody in the Staff gives a flying hoot wether a member is pro-union or not. Its one of those topics that is relavent, comes up quite often and gets kicked around the forum. You will find some excellent posts on union related issues here from people that have experiences on both side of the fence. The suggestion that we moderate from a pro or anti union view is so far out of line....that I'm really not sure what to make of it...other than to say its dissappointing and sure sucks the fun out of my day. I'm might add that, if you are going to discuss something thats contentious..and lets face it, unions are always going to draw factions; then you are going to have to put up with all the different opinions, views and experiences that exist. If we keep such topics as this straight up, factual and leave the personal stuff out things will get a long fine. You can bet the staff will be looking closer at this now...which is exactly the opposite of what we want to do.
Go back and re-read all of that one, and you'll see that it wasn't Cretebaby's comments that pushed that one downhill. We could dissect that one further, but I think that would be counterproductive in this thread. As a matter of fact, I think any further discussion of where the pro-union/anti-union sentiment lies would be counterproductive in this thread. I'll add only that any insinuation that the board is being run with an anti-union bias is just plain wrong. If anyone disagrees with that, I for one, will be happy to discuss it further, in Private Message format. I won't make a commitment for them, but I suspect any of the Mods would be willing to do the same. Any further straying down that track, I'll personally consider inappropriate for this thread. On edit: Squizzy got his last post in while I was typing this one. On the topic of how HEF is run, he went into greater detail than I was going to. We are of the same mind on the subject though. Now, back to the topic of this thread, which I'll remind all, is the union's training facility. I'm really impressed. You guys seem very proud of the facility, and rightly so. :thumbsup
Some guys DO NOT ever belong on a machine....ANY machine. I am sure you know what I am talking about, they move like robots, very stiff and dangerous to be around. In my opinion, this kind of thing cannot be "fixed", or taught out. You must see guys like this from time to time?
wow. first,"********************************************************************." i used the wrong dang emoticon:Banghead spanish is VERY important on a jobsite around here. a huge percentage of the laborers are hispanic as are many operators, especially in landscaping, which my local covers. right or wrong, love it or hate it, it is fact and we gotta live with it. but, that has nothing to do with this topic, so lets carry on gushing on about how great the site is.:tong :notworthy
Well, fortunately you seem to have it right for this post. (A good command of the language "Emoticon" is very important on internet sites, you know.) It is, isn't it? (Something that every member has a right to be proud of, and gets to share the credit for, don't you think?) :cool2 But, we're getting off topic again...
Anyway ..as per the topic at hand ... I've also found out that Local 793/ OETIO has tendered and has either recieved or soon to recieve Excavator simulator's...which in tandem with the crane simulator's will help keep the cost to individuals and member's down... I mean lets face it equipment wether working or training still cost money to run and keep up ....Its just another way to see to it that anyone can get a shot at being operator and not break anyone's bank....
How bout some pics of the 3900, towers, welding room and the tech classrooms? When my nephew turns eighteen he gets to try his hand on the machines accompanied by a journeyman, either with his father, grandfather or me. Good times!:usa
Hey there I will post some more pictures soon . It's a great place , but I hate the cheesburgers.
If you 150 guys keep it up you might get as good as us 139er's. Well maybe!
Perhaps I missed the local 139 post with the ... I just got done signing up all the advanced training courses I thuoght would help my career. Honestley, it'll be disapointing if I'm still working in Jan. and Feb. and it means I'll skip any classes at the training site. I always look to make myself more gooder an operator.:usa
local 139 is great. terry macgowan was tellin me that you finally got all the milking parlors and manure spreaders signed up. congrats.:tong:tong:tong
Manure aye?
Here's My pictures. A few are from the old site.... The place just rocks.
.......
..................................
.......................................................................... .....
Some more...
Thats funny! I was just waiting for Qball's answer. I too like going to our training center they have a lot of great classes. Lots of good info. It is also a great place to meet people and make contacts.
Very nice training site!
Thats really cool I would of loved to of had that at my disposal as a greenhorn. I have to say it seems like a wast though there is no better way to learn then on the job. Not much in this industry can be though in a "class room". I know lots of guys that can run equipment, but there ain't many operators anymore. Or so it seems. A lot of guys leven me scratching my head.
Cool to see other IUOE training sites. I've spent the last month at Local 302/612's training site running a blade, 2-3 more weeks on the blade then I should be back to work. Just killing time, better to be learning something than sitting at home spending money when laid off. Plus all the people you network with, I never go to training and not meet cool people. Try to snag some photos this week when I'm out on the grounds.
usually a person looks for a job with great benefits....that looks more like GREAT benefits with a job