We have some equipment we were going to put on auction in the past we have used purple wave but have bought on auction time and big iron. I was wondering which auctions people look at the most for equipment. We have sold some 4wd tractors on purple wave and got ok prices maybe it was what they was worth who knows. My boss was talking with me about putting a couple more tractors and a service truck and finish scraper on one of the other auctions. I was wondering which auctions people look at the most for equipment. Thanks Jerry
I too would like to know which auction site is best for heavy equipment.
I personally look at purple wave the most. Then auction time next. Then big iron.
My go to auction site is Ironplanet. I've bought a couple of things from them and check the weekly auctions every week.
Is iron planet the one that does a bunch of fluid testing cm? Don't think I've hardly ever looked on there but I heard of one that did that and was thinking it was them! Jerry Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
I use strictly Auctiontime.com for buying and selling. No reserves, no buyers premiums, no bs. Class act IMHO. I do the local auctions for small items but that's it.
Ironplanet then Auctiontime the nice thing about Auctiontime is no fees and you can inspect the machine if its close
Wow and I thought Ritchie Bros was the monopoly of the industry, thank you for the suggestions.
For selling, purple wave seems to get really good prices for their items right now. They seem to be more central us, than either coast. I used to buy some from there, but their prices lately have been too high for me. (I'm a bottom feeder, looking for a shop project, fix and sell, or fix and keep). Purchased two semi-trucks, one landoll type trailer, numerous smaller items, from their site. I've never purchased any big iron from Ritchie Bros. I'm in the crane game, and somehow I see the same cranes floating from sale to sale, or from sale site to Machinery trader, and back. I've never dug deep enough to compare serial #'s, but there was a particular crane in texas a few years ago, that was on machinery trader, then on a ritchie sale, then back on machinery trader from one of the big national crane companies. I have however purchased a number of accessory items (spreader bars, rigging) from them. I've purchased two cranes through Iron Planet. Both were a fair, not sky high, auction price. One, I won the bid on. The other one I was outbid, then purchased after the sale when the other buyer couldn't complete the sale. I also purchased two army surplus trucks. Both cranes I looked at in person before the sale. I don't like spending that kind of money on just some pictures and a oil sample. The army trucks were motor donor's. Also one other semi. Probably look at purple wave the most, because their items tend to be closer to me (once-twice a month) Iron planet next. Cruise Ritchie Bros from time to time (once every two-three months). Also look at ebay from time to time (seller fees on large items are big- most have a phone # and a "available locally" part to the ad. Really, spend the most time lately looking for items for sale on Craigslist. No buyer or seller fees. That's also where I sell any items I fix up and get rid of. Not everyone wants people coming around and looking (tire kickers), and I declare all items as is where is, but if you can wait, you'll get the most $ there. I wouldn't get the market exposure I would need to sell one of my cranes, but for a truck or trailer, not many guys from Georgia etc, are looking for a '88 freightliner dump truck out of Missouri.
Yes the do oil sampling if it has their Ironclad insurance. One thing about Ironplanet is if the machine is not what was advertised you have the opportunity to get your money back and not complete the sale - with exceptions of course. http://www.ironplanet.com/pop/terms_page.jsp?id=6 Sunbelt runs a lot of their equipment through IP, it's a good avenue for support items.
I think Craigslist has them all beat, hands down. If the online auction companies would get their websites in user-friendly format and then resist the temptation to constantly change formats, they might have something. I've spent a lot of time on Ironplanet as they seemed to have the best search features (back then), but their search features became more difficult to find. Going from past auctions to a local search of upcoming auctions on any of them is a royal pain, as none of them have simple and complete site maps and terminology. Upon reading this thread, I went to Auctiontime and looked around. I could do local searches in past auctions but not current auctions. Dunno about most people, but location matters a whole lot to me. It can make or break the deal. I don't want to waste my time with a nationwide search of upcoming auctions. I'm sure they have a way of doing a local search of upcoming auctions, but why is it so difficult to find? It's the FIRST THING I'm looking for. I can imagine just how confusing their steps and procedures are when you bid. I suppose if you spend a whole lot of time on one online auction company and learn all their idiosyncrasies, it would be OK, at least until they change it. If you only buy a machine once every two years it's a headache. If I can't find it on Craigslist or a Ritchie Bros auction, I'm not likely to buy it. Rant over.