does anyone have any experience with iron plant and bidding on any of there stuff online. I look through there site every few days and see a lot of good stuff but just wondering has anyone had any good or bad experience's with them minus the whole taking a chance on something you haven't inspected your self
Just make sure the item has the "Ironclad Guarantee" and you won't be disappointed. Our company has purchased several items and only one time was the item not as advertised, seems it received some damage after the pics were taken. It had the guarantee and we returned it and got our money back. That was several years ago, terms may have changed since then. Good luck!
Yeah I have. They're good to deal with.
thank you that's reassuring
where you able to use there financing or did you go about buying it a different way
No I didn't use their financing. Ritchie Bros. auctions has bought them out here in the last year or so. I haven't bought anything off there since.
most of the time i can find stuff somewhere else and get a better deal for me or customer....... been buying and selling for over 30 years.........iron Planet is a marketing genius but still same old stuff moving out the door.......... give me a email text or call if you want a old military man to try and help out
that's not great ill be honest I don't like Ritchie bros
alright that will work
Are you in Pleasanton TX? Or Arkansas? I'm in San Antonio...DM me.
Pleasanton TX RWOODYat FULLNET.NET
I've bought many things on Ironplanet at a great price. Depends on what you are looking at and how the auction goes, sometimes a particular piece of equipment will be hot and drive the price up above retail and other times there is no one bidding on it and you pick it up at asking bid. Got a Wacker trench roller for $2700 that was a mile from my house - no one else bid on it. We are still using it 2 years later. Ditto on the Ironclad insurance, if it doesn't have it then buyer beware. On the flip side items without Ironclad usually go cheaper, roll of the dice. I check the auction every Thursday whether I'm looking for something or not.
ive noticed you bought some stuff off auction was hoping you would put some of your experience in
I've purchased quite a few things on iron planet. Most good experience but that guarantee has loop holes and can be deceiving. Not only that they as well as Ritchie bros even before they purchased iron planet, purchase a lot of that equipment themselves direct from companies like sunbelt ring lift united rentsala etc. I'm not convinced at all that there's not inside bidding going on. I also don't trust the proxy bid. I've been high bidder on proxy bid more than once. It's just hard to believe that I had the right money on some of these things. I ain't that smart hehe. What's to stop them from bidding it up. Who would know. If it didn't sell they can simply re list. I don't know. Like I said I've bought a fair amount of equipment but anymore I don't see many good deals to be had. I still look and participate most every Wednesday and Thursday on IP but usually if I win I'm not that thrilled hehe. I've never used their financing either. Good luck
if i win anything ill be thrilled because I remember going to a auction is my state and was thrilled when I won a tool I dint own spent 5 dollars best 5 dollars ive spent
I just got to say it. Nobody "wins a bid" at an auction. It bugs me that the TV shows promote it that way. You purchased it for a higher price than anyone else in attendance was willing to pay. Sometimes it is a very good deal for you, sometimes its not. I have purchased old classic equipment on auctions a few times with reasonably good luck. Always buy fairly close by and being able to truck them home myself helps a bunch. Usually don't go higher than scrap price on the oldies.
Yes your correct you won cause u were willing to pay more. If it were a sealed bid it would be different. U still paid more but u didn't know the others prices. So u won well kinda hehe
the auction I went to was a small I think paving company cant remember to well its been a few years but they had a lot of older stuff they had a brand new f550 that I would of liked but I dint have 16k to drop
the only reason id do a seal bid is no one else can know I have no idea what I'm looking at when I win and regret everything
My thoughts exactly, how can a machine sell on line then a few months later appear on the same auction site again, notice that the serial numbers are some times not listed!!!!! Notice this happening on Auction times, to me very questionable.
I have had a little issue with auctions like that. Not naming names but I shot a loball bid that was accepted on a machine that suddenly failed to meet minimum that was never listed. Same machine six months later one state over same pricing listings with bids LESS then what I had bid prior only to show back up a few weeks later in the original state. Have not used the site since. All the GSA GovDeal etc. auctions are under the same base company just different servers.
Does make you wonder. I've bought at Ritchie and on the old Iron Planet. Good success both places. But a few months ago saw a piece I could use on Auction Time. A unique kind of tug/pull tractor (Sellick). Went looking for comps, and looked on Ritchie, and found that same exact unit has being sold on Ritchie about 6 weeks earlier. Serial number was listed, hours the same. Called the guy selling on Auction Time, and he told me it was a bank repo machine, and couldn't have sold on Ritchie.... We bought it through Auction Time. And then to top it all off, both auction descriptions listed it as a 4x4 machine. Once we hauled it cross country and got it here, found out it was a 4x2 tractor.
We've done it a lot. My advice - GO LOOK.
there was some good looking stuff I was watching but it went for a little more then I thought it would but theres a lot of stuff going up to bid I guess end of the year and the companies wanna get rid of stuff that's been sitting for a while
You got lied to on a couple things. Obviously the 4x4 issue. BUT, it wasn't a bank repo...they bought it at Ritchie thinking they'd do better on Auction Time...OR they assumed it was 4x4 as well and then didn't want it when they got it. I've seen more things END UP at RB than bought there and sold on another auction. Here is the thing that you all need to understand...at this point in time.... RITCHIE BROTHERS IS FULL RETAIL! That said, there are some things that slip through the cracks and can still be bought at RB at a decent price. But it's not mainline items like backhoes, forklifts, dozers, loaders, or excavators.
I wouldn't agree Ritchie Bro. is full retail. Some items may be bought back but there are some good deals that are less money than they'd be a dealer or private seller. Ritchie Bros wouldn't be the largest auction company in the world if they were constantly buying stuff back and contradicting their own policies. Ritchie Bros will give a guaranteed minimum to sellers if they have a minimum of 5 (I think) major pieces of equipment to sell. I wonder if that's why you see some machines more than once? Still not on the level but they sell billions dollars of equipment year in, year out. They couldn't do that if buyers thought they were being ripped off or paying too much. Some people do pay too much but the bulk of buyers are happy or they wouldn't keep going back.
I moved quite a few pieces out of Ritchie and got to know them at my local site. If they catch you doing a straw purchase you won't sell another piece there. Ever. Now that doesn't mean they don't have some pretty creative ways to get the price up- including moving it to another location that they feel has a better market. Ask them if they have a list of transporters that they use and they will say "no, we don't". Yes, they do. The one big (and I mean BIG) thing: they, for some reason, partnered with uShip. "Get a shipping estimate before you buy". What a joke. I can't tell you how many transport quotes I made and got back "What! That's 4x the quote I got before I bought it!". Many, many, many pieces just go back up the next auction because someone, say, in Michigan "scored" a big piece of forestry equipment for $9,000 in Washington and finds out from someone like me that it's really going to cost $21,000 to get it to them, not the $3,400 quote they got from Dipwad Logistics. Or Cat mining trucks in California that were "quoted" $25,000/ea California to the east coast (I can't remember where exactly) that were actually going to be $75,000+/ea to move. They might even have staff that works with buyers- "oh, that's too bad. Well, I'll tell you what for $x,xxx we will do a 'Ritchie-rebuild' for you and get your money back out of it and maybe a little more at our next auction. If you sign up today I'll waive the $75/day we're charging you to store it, don't tell my boss though- it'll just be between us..." Buyer/seller premium on the first sale, buyer/seller premium on the second sale.........
That would make more sense. I've seen equipment moved to a separate area and still be there month's after the auction. I like that Ritchie Bros doesn't spend a lot of time waiting for bids. You want it, you bid or too bad so sad. It has to be a pretty big ticket item for them to be spending time trying to coax out more bids. I've been to some of their 4 day sales in Nisku (Edmonton) and it's their biggest auction sale in N. America. They go through thousands of items. If they did it like a farm auction, they'd be there for 2 weeks. I hate they added buyer premiums but were smart to cap it on big ticket items. Under $2500 items pay a higher premium which really sucks.
I have purchased a lot of equipment over the last 20 years from Ritchie, all good for the most part, you just have to really check them out. Some of them will have records in the office to help you decide what is worthwhile. That same company sold a few machines on Iron Plant, when I looked up the inspection reports, I was disappointed, they were not as truthful as I would have been. I am a firm believer in what goes around, comes around. I did some work with a company recently that would buy on Iron Planet, we painted some of them and did some repairs. Then tried to resell them hoping to make a huge profit.We had several unhappy buyers along the way. The ones that did call me, I told them exactly what I thought about the machine and what we did to it, but most buyers that ended up with the winning bid, never called. They wanted to run it part time from the internet a few hours a week, not really hands on. So needless to say, after 18 months, they decided they didn't want 3 full time mechanics anymore, so we got laid off. And they are still sitting there with about $4 million in equipment and buildings with no one there. It was the best thing that ever happened to me.
There are few if any 'mainline items' that I can buy on RB and get more for that selling them to customers. I'm not alone. Talked to the used equipment manager from a major Deere dealership down here...he had bought 3 excavators at RB and thought he stole them last year for $20k under what they were worth...each. It took him a year to sell the first one for a profit of $2k. That's with financing...that's just one example. RB is also IMHO being less cautions about letting people put just about any old thing in the auction. I'm not saying there are never deals to be had there. I'm saying that too many people have the opinion that RB is a wholesale price. Same for most auctions. Too many customers are buying things at action with the idea they can dump them for profit or break even whenever they want. That's not the case.
https://www.rbauction.com/2015-KOMA...d=10139576&id=ar&auction=FORTWORTH-TX-2017226 Here is a great example of what I'm talking about. 500 hour Komatsu 138 that I saw in Dallas last time around. $127K plus $1k in RB fees. I had found 8 of these machines with duel bi-directional wet kits...some had rubber tracks and they had blades as well. I could have bought them for $90-$92k each. Heck they were advertised for $99k each for 6 moths before they all disappeared. I saw both in person...both were identically nice and clean. It happens a LOT more than you want to admit...you can by nicer machines for less than what you pay at RB. There's no great deals there. I go to meet people and see if something falls through the cracks, but going to buy something with the idea that it's gonna be a wholesale price is IMHO misguided.
There's big difference between buying to use yourself and a dealer/individual buying hoping to make a profit. It's no different than people buying an older machine and fixing it up trying to make a profit. Whether it's construction equipment or restored/customized cars, most of the time you never get your money back. It's always a gamble and never a sure thing. An auction unequivocally tells what the market will pay for a particular machine at that time. Sometimes low hour machines at RB still have factory warranty, especially if they're being sold by a dealer. I know Finning has sold at RB with claims of remainder of factory warranty. In your example above the Deere dealer (who thought he stole them) paid 20K less than he would have had them listed on his lot yet in your opinion it wasn't a good deal at RB because the Deere dealer took a gamble that didn't pay off? Ritchie Bros is an auction company. If you have something to sell, they don't tell you it has to meet certain criteria to be in their auction. They do give ample time to inspect and encourage buyers to fully inspect anything they are considering purchasing. A lot of smaller auctions you're lucky if you have the day before to inspect them. The 500 hour Komatsu you mention above , did the machines you found have only 500 hours as well? Maybe it still had warranty? What's a brand new one cost? Obviously there were at least a couple people interested in it and the buyer thought he got a good deal or he wouldn't have bought it. I don't know but it sounds like maybe you've lost sales because customers have found something to suit them at an RB auction. If not it sure seems like you have a bias against Ritchie Bros but not sure what it's based on. Are they perfect no but who is. It's like people knocking the Cat high track machines, sales numbers don't lie.
As someone already pointed out, Iron Planet is part of Ritchie Brothers. I've bought from RB a few times, been real happy with it.
The dealers around here generally liquidate stuff at Ritchie Bros. and I haven't seen any of them buy something there to fix and re-sell. The phrase that I use is that a dealer does not have the ability to generate the mass stupidity found in a auction atmosphere. The other issue is that internet auctions have changed the dynamic of a local auction in that sales happen nation wide now. This makes prices less susceptible to weather and attendance issues. As stated above, the auction market can work well for someone needing a machine to use and who knows what they are looking at and can stay in a price range that will give the machine a chance of making a profit. If you want to buy something to fix and sell, you need to get to the owner of the machine before the auction salesman get there.
Just trying to flip them didn't work out too well for the few I've seen try. We did buy quite a few, put some money in them and ran them several years before we sold them. That worked out worked out really well actually, most were resold for what the initial cost was, so the cost per hour under production was pretty low. Out of the 30 machines we did that way over a 15 year span only one turned out to be a dud, a Cat 330BL that had final drive problems about 2 months after we got it. But I think it pretty much broke even in the end. That construction company did really well with that approach. You just have to look at them real close and adjust for what you think its going to cost to get it back in good shape. I left the auction may times with nothing but an irate, desperate potential buyer, because I saw or heard something I didn't like in the machines he was interested in. A lot of times for some of those guys it becomes an emotional or ego thing. It was never that way for me, it wasn't my money, but I really didn't want to buy something that was going to cause me a huge headache. I seem to be a magnet for those already.
Exactly Welder Dave just like the construction business that these machines are used for. The advent of the internet auction has changed the scene in my opinion as markets are very different geographically, which changes the dynamics of what a piece of iron is worth. What is in high demand in one area might not be worth scrap across the scale in another. I've seen well used iron go for crazy amounts on IP while other pieces are sold at asking price, with no rhyme or reason to me basing that on my local needs. Obviously other buyers saw the value or they got caught up in the bidding frenzy. Never get into a bidding war at an auction when you know the going price is above what it's worth, that winners trophy don't pay the bills. The key to winning deals at an auction either live or online is to know when to walk.
if I'm doing it online I'm be at the equipment websites looking at prices and going off that which everyone else probably will be to though
Lots of good info on this thread. I bought an midi excavator and skid steer from Ritchie Bros and numerous skid steer attachments. Guys like me with time on their hands who buy old iron for their own use can make out fairly well. The kind of machines I buy are 15% of new, IOW tired old junk. I don't get caught in the ego/emotion aspect of auctions and often leave disgusted and empty-handed. I think RB's fees are exorbitant and their support for uship (which should be spelled with a "t") deplorable. Their "auction results" page is a valuable resource, I even look there when I buy elsewhere. Here in Montana old iron is hard to find and expensive locally, so having that many machines in one location for immediate sale is attractive and the cost to ship justifiable. Bozeman auctions are generally overpriced and I usually buy as far away as Chehallis Wa. or Williston ND. I bring a few tools with me and drain a little oil out of plantetaries to inspect for metal particles. I try to get there early on inspection before they start everything with ether and jumper cables so I can get an idea how hard they are to start.
I've been doing some work with an outfit that I used to haul for that does after-sale logistics stuff- teardowns, "get that POS running so they can load it" stuff. I've noticed the smaller local/regional auction houses that do "fleet reduction", "bankruptcy", "plan closing", "municipal/State", etc. sales have been the place to buy right now. But, I think anything over .50/lb is too much at auction. I looked into one auction place in Portland, OR that sends me all kinds of crap in the mail- fine print in their terms "30% buyers premium" and "11% payment/documentation fee" Hah! No thanks. Another thing (brilliant, I think) with RB is RBFS. Easy in-house financing I'm pretty sure helps drive the prices up there a bunch.
Buddy of mine had not spoken to me for five years called last evening. Reason for no speak was I told him NOT TO BUY a 977K on a gov Deal auction that I had the opportunity to look at. US Navy surplus w MP bucket, looked great EXCEPT, I started seeing little things so I went to have a look as was close to a place wife and I were headed for a wedding. Would not start as usual as batteries were dead, was not allowed to furnish or try to jump off. Did a walk around checking fluids or lack there of, filter dates had been written over with marker but could make out they were all over 5 years old, engine oil represented that as well. The rails were odd being dry pin, They were humped up rather than laying from being pulled into a line, then I saw a major no-no, rust from the Turbocharger/elbow joint and noticed someone had it off RECENTLY. Suggested my Bud bid really really low as he probably did NOT want the machine, money pit. He bought it telling me how much a Non-friend I was possibly costing him a great inexpensive machine. He bought it, had to have it pushed/dragged onto a trailer for shipment(extra$$). Got it home and as I figured engine was seized. Rain thru the open stack over a LONG period of time, turbo was rusted/corroded solid where he opted for ANOTHER surplus buy replacement crate engine. Got that in, ran it for a week and rails NEVER came loose, pounded the finals, destroyed the right side bearings so off those came, new final bearings, a bull gear then replacement rail chains and shoe bolts(shoes were great), ALSO had to cutting torch the old rails off as would NOT flex or pivot on pins. Now he already had twice what the machine first cost and was OVER what he could have bought local for but was "a Low Hour Machine", next to drop corrosion on the Radiator, lower core plate to core failure, while in that found an oil leak on a hose for the oil cooler, turned out needed ALL the hoses as were all beginning to seep or show rusted steel cording under cracked skins. He just sold the money trap, when done had over four times the buying price, used it three times, made NO MONEY with it, bought a 963B(LOCAL) while working this creation and made enough to pay the repair bills. Still has the 963, still earning a living with that and a excavator he bought last year. His call to me, a long overdue(his words) apology.
Komatsu's were all 500+/- hours. None had warranty, at least none noted. New they'd be $150k-$170k. I don't hate RB. And yes, I have customers that buy there...heck I buy there FOR customers. My point is that too many people think that RB is a wholesale price and a great buy that they should be able to sell the machine for more than the RB price. There is also an opinion that RB inspects or protects buyers by limiting the machines they will auction off. That is not the case either. I don't care what anyone does as long as it's an INFORMED decision. Do some shopping. KNOW what a good buy is for a machine BEFORE you go to auction. If you don't know enough about a machine to inspect it...pay someone to inspect it for you. RB might well be the best place to find what you're looking for...or it may NOT be the best place. Do your homework.
RB is neither wholesale or retail, it's market price at that time and place. They give you ample opportunity to inspect machines and there are good deals and no so good deals. Just because a buyer, whether an individual or dealer, thinks they got a good deal and can make a profit on their purchase has nothing to do with the auction company. RB doesn't tell people what to bid and you can't blame them if you don't make a profit reselling your purchase. When you can blame the auction company is if they (knowingly) misrepresent the machine or have their own people running the price up. RB has so many lots to sell I don't think they would want to risk their reputation. They make hundreds of millions of dollars every year. Blaming RB or saying their prices are too high is like saying Cat's pricing is too high. Many customers are glad to pay more for Cat for several reasons and some customers just figure Cat is too high and will buy something else. As far as older machines and parts, Cat is a higher price but they have the best parts support for older machines. I don't think any other manufacturer comes close. RB is the biggest auction company in the world for a reason.
A couple years ago I watched the sister Kenworth to the one I have (+1 VIN, there were 5 same spec built for the customer) sell at the local RB in way worse condition than mine & it went for a ridiculous high price! I'd take that much in .0001 second! I'm sure the seller was elated and maybe the buyer thought they got a rare gem. Mine's going up for sale next month and although I'd like to get that number even with the new regs helping the price I'll be starting lower than that one sold for.
Some people are stupid at auctions but it's not the auctions fault. Go to a farm auction if you really want to see the definition of stupid. Auctioneer will spend 5 minutes getting idiots to bid $10 for stuff that's not worth $.50.
Have been to a few of those. 1987 GM C70 tag axle grain truck, 366 engine 5 and 2 with the wiring hosed up, typical bird dropping paint job, needed lots of work, tires, probably brakes went for $6k, old disc needing plates and bearings over $4k while good household stuff kitchen stuff made less than $.10 to a dollar of what I could have spent and yet old but not antique stuff was selling for twice what Wally World gets for it. Made two bids on a tracked skid loader(Komatsu), possibly 12-14000# machine, went for twice what I considered worth $36k. 955H needing rails, shoes, basically full UC, lots of engine work and would not start went for $16k, proud new owner got himself a Cat for under $20k was his comment.
I just bought a Cat D3C that started out listed locally on Craigslist only, then it went up for sale on Auction Time and was no longer listed on Craigslist. I also found it listed on Equipment Trader at the same time for a fixed price above what was originally listed on Craigslist. I cant tell you how many shady listings on Craigslist I came across, postings in my neighborhood with the equipment actually located in another state with the seller asking for my email address and or phone number. Whats that scam stuff about? Then the same machine is listed in another state or city on Craigslist with a contact number, they then text an email address with a long dissertation on how to buy the machine through Ebay and PayPal telling me this is how you get protected etc.... Man it really made me question the entire auction thing all together. If it was not for the fact I looked the machine over personally and had several friends check it out also, there is no way I would have bought it. Funny you mention it went for my max proxy bid price to boot at the last second of the auction...... The entire auction sales industry just doesn't pass the sniff test in my opinion. But they do have an unbelievable selection of machines to look at!
Will more than likely not ever be able to prove or determine if someone isn't shill packing the bid boxes, have to keep values up or the market tanks with all the old iron quantity available out there. I tried to bid a couple of units some years back, tried to buy on lowball offers to CL ads to no avail as they all base price against given auction results pricing. I wonder how many over priced bids are actually dealer or manufacturer where the machines just 'disappear'(scrapped) when bought to keep those prices up on used machines on their own lots.
Dealers will bid up items to protect their own stock. They generally know where any item should sell and bid so as not to add another turkey to their own used equipment fleet. The internet bidding is the item I have been seeing lately that seems to bring an odor to the auction process. The audience in attendance bids fast and furious for a minute or two but things slow down and all of a sudden the internet comes on line? Just makes me and plenty of other people start to wonder.
maybe someone new should start a new way of doing this and do it the right way and don't make it shady
You have a CPA. You have a financial adviser. You have a mechanic you trust. It's why you should have an equipment guy (preferably independent) that helps advise / find your equipment. Someone that does this every day. That knows the good and bad of different tractors. Someone with industry knowledge and contacts. I don't say this because it's what I do...I say it because I see what a lot of people do without that guy.
The biggest reason is because they don't want to pay for it. The second biggest reason is because they think they know more about that we do. The third biggest reason is because they don't know what they don't know.
Yep...had a customer bought a Cat CTL the other day....turns out it's got 1000 more hours on it than what they told him. It seemed like a great deal...and of course it was a $2000 truck ride away from here. Came from a Cat dealer died 30 minutes after he used it and won't move. I told him at the time "When was the last time a Cat dealer gave away a Cat?" Turns out that pattern held.
No. I do not have any experience of online bidding. There will be a lot of bidder for the thing placed on bidding.
I have had this in the back of my mind since you posted it 7 years ago. Well there were some promising items at the local RB. I was watching them when the price was low but when the hammer dropped the prices were 12.5k and 5.2k, definitely more than I was willing to pay for stuff that is half taken apart and missing some electronic parts, presumably expensive. https://www.rbauction.com/ar/2016-lbd-lph600-240-480-load-bank/12852494 https://www.rbauction.com/ar/2016-lbd-lph600-240-480-load-bank/12852495 I've seen generators go for top dollar online, when I was there they had parts missing and wires sticking out that were not shown in the pictures, no fault of the picture taker they did not know where to look. But online buyers pay top dollar for junk. Maybe I need to look for the items to appear in a future auction.
Ritchie Bros. can be all over the place on pricing. There can be good deals certainly less than dealer prices. There can also be ridiculous prices over retail. I don't think it's fair to say all prices are full retail. It depends on a lot of factors. If there's only 1 machine several people want it will probably go high. If there's 8 similar machines you might get a good deal on 1 of them.
Maybe you need to be sending stuff to auction.
Yes, I have a few likely candidates to send to the auction here, just need to get around to it.
Better give them a Sherwin Williams overhaul first. Then, they will bring in the big money!
Here they call it DuPont OH
Here it's the Rustoleum rebuild.
This brings up a couple questions. Is it better to leave a good machine in its working clothes when trying to sell it or will painting it increase the value? And will you recoup the cost of painting? I was told several years ago at RB's a sandblast/paint job of my 931B to sell would be about $3000 and a higher quality paint job if I was keeping it would be $4500 or so. I'm sure those costs have gone up ridiculously. New paint certainly looks nice but does it actually bring enough you're not losing money?
For a 931B, the chances of a good paint job paying for itself and then some at RB is not likely. The issue isn't whether or not the paint job is worth the premium price to someone buying the machine as the answer is yes, there's more than likely someone out there who's willing to pay for it. The issue is that you need two of these buyers at the same time bidding on the same machine so they drive the auction price up in a bidding war. Otherwise, with only one interested buyer, the bid goes right above scrap value and junkers stop bidding so the one interested buyer gets it. I bought my 941B at RB for scrap value 3 years ago and I had the option of having them paint it after I paid the invoice but before I hauled it home. Price to paint was about $3k in Dallas but I skipped it as that was pretty much what I paid for the machine. It's hard to guarantee whether painting an older machine is worth it before selling but I generally say probably not. I think it all depends on the type of machine and where it's being sold. Edit: I do give kudo's to RB as I think their paint services are very reasonable compared to other paint options. Their price includes a deep pressure wash, then a good sandblast, followed by layer or two of decent paint that's completed with fairly good decals. For the price, the outcome is hard to beat in my 1/2 cent opinion.
I might have to look them up. I would love to paint that Scat Trak as thats the only thing that is crappy on it but, I generally won’t even look at a machine that’s been re-painted as it usually means dressing up a pig. For me, it lowers the value.
If the seller felt the best way to improve a machines value was spending a few grand on paint vs a few grand on parts & labor, that tells you everything you should need to know about the seller, and the machine.
I see dupont overhaul, I walk away.
I think if a seller had before pics. and some reasons for new paint would help. I need to paint some of my skid steer, mostly the outside of the hydraulic reservoir. It appears that paint has been burnt off from the oil getting hot. It also doesn't appear primer was used at the factory.
Really do not believe Paint unless is absolutely beaten on, will change most persons context of a machine so long as starts, no smoke and operates as should, Newer Hoses, clean fluids, recent fluids change and records for service intervals, undamaged soft spots examinable make better selling points.
I will admit, when I rebuild a cylinder, I try and do a repaint on it as it’s out but for the most part, when I see a newer paint job, I stop looking.
If you're considering bidding on Iron Plant's online auctions, Kajaria Ceramics Aus recommends researching seller reviews and setting a strict budget. While they offer great deals, unseen purchases always carry risk—inspect if possible or request detailed condition reports. Many find value, but due diligence is key.