Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Online equipment purchases

fatallis · 2023-12-15 16:30

Hello - I am working on a deal with Black Star ACA for a machine, and am wondering if anyone on here has had any experience with them. As it will be all through phone calls, texts, and email, with no in person meeting, I just want to be sure learn of other’s experiences with them. Thanks

Replies11
  1. #1OzDozer2023-12-16 01:17

    Personally, I would never make any sizeable machinery purchase without either checking the item in person, or getting a trusted associate to check it out. That's a big tough world out there, and the rip-offs and deceit are constant, without trusting someone you don't know, and have never met in person, with a major outlay.

  2. #2Acoals2023-12-16 07:16

    I bought a machine sight unseen once. It won't happen again.

  3. #3MG842023-12-16 07:34

    I know this day and age a lot of people buy used equipment online without seeing it in person, I personally would never. When it comes to used equipment you can’t trust anyone. Even when you throughly look it over in person, run it, test everything you can, you still often find nasty little surprises when you get it home and really start using it or pull it in the shop to work on it. I limit my equipment purchases to those in a 200mi radius. I can drive there, look it over and drive back in a day. I live in an area where there is a lot of equipment to choose from in that area, if I can’t find it I just wait and eventually it comes along. I realize not everywhere has this luxury. If I were somewhere geographically isolated and was looking at a big ticket equipment purchase I would buy a plane ticket, fly out there, check the equipment out and fly back. The cost of a plane ticket and rental car would seem cheap compared to a hidden repair that could run $10-20-30k. On a smaller less expensive equipment you just have to buy it cheap enough that you can cover all necessary repairs when it arrives, expect the worst when buying it. Edit: As to the seller themselves, if they are a well known dealer, or have ads in Tractor House, Machinery Trader or the like they are probably at least a legitimate business. There are a lot that are just scams, with fake photos, and use an address of some random business.

  4. #456wrench2023-12-16 09:45

    If the price sounds a lot cheaper than other similar machines, be careful, it may be a scam or ‘not as advertised’. View it in person is still best

  5. #5crane operator2023-12-16 10:31

    Post up the ad, what you are wanting to buy. A link, pictures, everything you have. Members here can see what you are looking at, and give advise. Someone here may be close enough to go look at it.

  6. #6Oxbow2023-12-16 11:15

    I purchased a D6T sight unseen, but it was from a prominent rental company and I received complete maintenance files, numerous photos and they were happy to send additional photos if requested, and any other information that I asked for. The machine was as represented except for one item. It was supposed to be pre-wired for gps. Most of the wiring and receptacles were in place, but one harness going to the display was missing. The rental company paid for the missing harness and I installed it. It was a good experience. I have bid on several pieces offered by Iron Planet. I beleive that they do their best to take photos of anything that needs attention, and their inspection seems to be pretty good, but you are still at risk for everything. I have no experience with Black Star.

  7. #71693TA2023-12-16 15:38

    Bid-a-doo is also very good and gives good attempt to be accurate and very descriptive.

  8. #8Welder Dave2023-12-16 19:42

    Inspect it in person or have someone qualified do it for you. I'm currently dealing with a shady online auction house. They will make no guarantee's as to condition or descriptions and from what I've seen on some machinery is they only take pics. of the good stuff and try to hide the bad stuff. Some do take pics. showing leaks and cracks/weld repairs but other's don't. With equipment it's nice to see how it starts and moves.

  9. #9fatallis2023-12-17 14:30

    Thanks for the input. I have on one occasion bought a machine site unseen from an individual who is a used equipment dealer, and it did go very well. Through internet searches, I was able to learn about the man and business, and our phone conversations gave me a sense of true honesty with him. As for the current deal, Black Star ACA is an equipment broker who buys and sells equipment for others. They have ads on Equipment Trader and the like. I have looked them up on their states Secretary of State website to find that they are a legitimate business established in 2018. They have been good at sending requested pics and videos. Here is the ad… https://www.machinerytrader.com/lis...995-caterpillar-cs-563-smooth-drum-compactors Thanks again

  10. #10CM19952023-12-17 14:40

    9000 is a lot of hours for a compactor. I would highly suggest an in person visit or 3rd party inspection regardless of what the seller says.

  11. #11fatallis2024-01-31 21:35

    Well I bought the roller, and all went well with the purchase, so Black Star ACA gets a thumbs up from me. Andrew, who I worked with, was very good about providing extra pictures, and at my request, was able to get the service records from the seller also. We have it in the shop now giving it a full service and a thorough going over to have it ready for the season. So far we are pleased with it. Thanks for everyone’s input.