. A customer of mine called tonight to tell me he had his reading glasses fall into the hydraulic tank! He was adding oil to the tank, and obviously he had pulled the basket strainer out to get oil in the tank faster and to observe where the oil level was. I know, not a good idea, but many have done it. Usually it works with no bad events, but Murphy is always lurking somewhere. Is there a screen or something at the oil outlet on a ED190 Blade Runner? Big time bad news if those glasses get into a pump. Metal hinges and maybe glass lenses and the plastic frames; there isn’t any tolerance for that.He said he reached down and can’t quite reach the bottom of the tank.I suggested he not run the machineand drain the tank;then get a good light and a long, stiff piece of wire and go fishing. Hopefully the machine is turned so it would be easy to drain. It brings to mind the trouble chart tha several times has the entry “you poor bast**d” please don’t flame me—-l’ve made my share of dumb things; but I didn’t do this. Oliver Durand
There is a pickup screen on the suction tube, it will be on the bottom of the rod that you should see when you remove the hydraulic tank lid to add fluid. I've not dealt with an ED190 so I'm not familiar with a basket strainer?
#10 protects the pump inlet/ tank outlet.
To excavator and heymccall: thank you. Just what I needed. I still hope he will pump out or drain the tank and find&remove the glasses, but as long as that screen #10 is in there the pump ”should be”safe. I don’t think I will tell him that. I saw a you tube vid where a guy uses a barrel pump to empty his Kobelco 210 for a scheduled oil change. Lessee now—- experience says about 50 strokes per gallon-times however many gallons-makes for a good workout
I bought a cheap 12v submersible pump off eBay to pump diesel out of a barrel, it probably would work for hydraulic, but it would take time to get here
Go get some “mechanic fingers”.. push on the end and it opens 3 jaws to grab **** that’s out of reach.. adds a good 3 ft to your reach.
I think this is what Pumpguy is talking about Mine’s not quite 3’ long but I’ve always felt a little shorter than average. I’d probably use a piece of long 3/8 rod or all thread to be able to tap on and locate the glasses on the bottom of the tank to make the fishing less frustrating.
Could have been a set of false teeth. That would be worse. . my dad would occasionally sneeze his out
Even a coat hanger with a hook on the end might be able to fish them out.
Tie a 'bore scope' to the end of a 3 ft “mechanic fingers”. The scope will save you time searching for the glasses.
Anybody ever been “shrimping” with a cast net.?? A buddy of mine who had dentures went…ONCE.. lol
If your 'mechanical fingers' are too short and you don't want to get an oil soaked arm you can always use Veterinary Insemination Rectal Gloves. They go all the way to the shoulder.