:usa I have 3 dragline cranes "Duty Cycle cranes" What can I use on the open gears mostly the turntable gears? The first crane I bought, the previous owner recommended Top Sol synthetic open gear lube. It came in caulking tubes. I thought it was too expensive so I used Texaco Crater compound in 5 gallon pails. Then I used another Texaco product with either in it that was for winter use. Texaco quit making it. Then they only had crater fluid M which flew off the swinger gears and got into the swinger clutches. I don't like lubriplate it is thick and won't stick. I have just found nothing that works half as good as the Top Sol from Cleveland OH but they went out of business years ago. Why some one can't take that formula and start making it again I have no clue. I have never run a lifting crane and don't know what you guys use. I think maybe grease gun grease. I also have a 405 Koering and the manual says to use Gredag 44 but I can't even find out if that stuff existed?
On my Case 880D excavator there is an "automatic" turntable lube. Is uses an aerosol can of white grease, might be silicone grease, I beleive. Maybe you can get a case of cans or a bucket of that sorta grease. Seems to stick pretty well.
If you're able to get Kendall or Amalie products they used to make a spray open gear lube, you can't wash that stuff off at all. jr
I tell ya you want some good stuff get your self some Schaeffer's 200s Silver Streak it's some sticky stuff WILL not sling off stays put loaded with excellent anti-wear additive(Moly) i use it on chains and 5th wheels etc. http://schaefferoil.com/silverstreak_lube.html http://www.schaefferoil.com/datapdf/200S.pdf
Texclad
Man , I had some of that stuff in caulk tubes you couldn't get it off with anything. jr
Yeah jr, as gooey as it is, it must be good. Got to where I used a clalking gun to grease the swing ring gear. Let it drop between the teeth and it just sticks in the groove. Nitrile gloves a must:yup
Has anyone tried ThixoTak2 from Maryn International in Canada? Specifically designed for open gears and high speed bearing applications.
Even the newer locomotives use open gears in the traction motors. They go 70 mph so the stuff they use must have some tack! You might find out what the railroads are are using in that application.
Have you found a suitable product? If not, let me know and we can discuss getting you some ThixoTak2 for your evaluation.
Texaco Crater Compound was some of the best. But it may be that Chevron, which took over Texaco, has a product that is similiar. They continued many Texaco products under new names. Check the Chevron website to see. Shell may have a good product too, though I never used it, but they got some of Texaco's stuff at the buyout.
Do you want grease or oil? Belray is what we use on our open gears, its oil sprays on then the solvent falls out and it dries best stuff ever
Ever thought of using an auto lube system? You can reduce maintenance time and cost with one and the open gears(as well as bearings and bushings) would be lubed as the equipment is operating. Either way I would suggest an EP2 Lithium based grease.
I agree that you need an autolube system, Lincoln is whats most common and the one I prefer. I wouldnt use lithium or any other grease, grease doesnt handle shock factor like an OGL would. Think about when you dry up gears, you can only get away with this on drag and hoist because the shock is minimal.
Lubriplate makes an open gear spray x357. A customer uses it on a rolling mill for sheet steel. They seem to like it...
You Should try Omega 71 Open gear grease. It is used in a lot of lieber Cranes.
Going to check my Military contacts in the Navy down in Norfolk for you. Lots of cranes down there. Very harsh environment sea salt air, cold, wet. they use some Mil Spec products that i am sure i can help you find.
Certified Labs makes a product similiar to the one you mentioned called Hi-Gear. Comes in a caulk gun and is a bluish-green color.