You usually run with the front window open or closed? I usually keep it open unless its raining, or pretty windy. I just dont like looking through dirty glass, its one of my pet peeves i guess
Open. When it's really cold or really hot, I'll keep the side door closed and run the heater or AC (if they work) on high, but I can't stand the way the glass inhibits visibility, even if it is clean. Usually I keep it open in the rain too. The wipers just don't give enough of a clear view. The only exception would be if I'm doing something that doesn't take a lot of precision, like bailing dirt into tucks all day...
I gotta have the front window open as digger said the window hampers the vision. When I was digging in the landfill bailing rotting garbage I had to have the window open. You just get use to the smell and stuff squirting on you with the sun baking that garbage up real nice bringing out the best aroma possible. Almost 90% of the machines I run have cab guarding so there are bars over the front window so it feels like your in a jail cell looking out :bouncegri
How about for demolition? Open or closed?
My god if I was ever going to operate with a closed window it would be in that situation. I also like to have the window open especially when ditching so I can stick my head out once in a while to have a better look. Ford LT-9000 you are a brave man:yup
I am with you on that one 100%
I run with the window open. I hate the glare I get on the window even if it's clean. I find I can see better with it open for this reason. It only gets closed if it's really cold or really wet. We only run minis and therefore can move the boom sideways. I always have to open the right side window too if I put it to the right. Can barely see if I don't.
Depends on the site, but 75% of the time the front window is closed. Mainly to keep the dust out. The only reason that I open the window is for finesse work or if it is one of the older machines with a finicky A/C system.:bash
Closed. I run a Cat 385 and the front window is fixed and will not open.
The same landfill I worked at runs open cab Cats to push garbage so you get used to the smell after awhile you don't smell it anymore When the rock breaker is on the machine all the windows are closed and you suffer with the heat most machines here are not AC equiped.
I keep it closed mostly because of my allergies and asthma, especially since I do a lot of demo. I will leave it open at times, but prefer to keep it closed.
Closed only because of dust. I have allergies that tend to get to me after a lot of dust so I like to keep it closed whenever possible. For close up work or stuff I need to pay attention to, I'll run it open to get a better view. Other than that, doors and windows closed with A/C going.
Maybe getting off topic but all of us over the years have operated these machines in the searing heat all day with no such thing as an AC. At times you almost pass out because of the temperature inside the cab. So how much production are you getting when you are suffering like that? When I finally got a AC in my machine it was the difference between night and day. I felt just as fresh at the end of my day as I did at the beginning. I wish companies would realize (and I am sure some do) that by looking after their operators and making them comfortable, production and morale would be much better. Believe it or not I have seen some companies order a new machine that comes standard with AC only to have it removed before delivery:Banghead I realize that some companies just starting and trying to make a go of it cannot afford AC in their equipment and this is completely understandable. But the big companies that turn a good profit, and can afford it have no excuse. Sorry for the long post but this is a pet peeve of mine. Look after the operators as they are the backbone of your companies.
That’s just like the first grading company I work for (2days) there mechanic smashed the brake lines on the new scrapers so we didn't get use to them.:Banghead
For us on the West Coast when it gets really hot work stops especially if your working in a area where your dealing with dry scrub brush. All it takes is one spark and you have a fire going. When I was running hoe all I used was a fan that is in the cab it blows pretty much on your head it keeps you cool. Have a cooler in the cab with cold water in it good enough for us. Try driving a old Louisville Ford 9000 with a 400 Cummins the cab is like a oven because half the engine is in the cab under a doghouse cover no AC roll the windows down. I have to have the front window up or I will get claustiafobia (sp) with the front window down and the door closed I have a hard time breathing.
Well said, We did a demoltion recently where we had three machines working. My partner Johnny has to have that front window up on the excavator (runs the A/C as well...air conditioning the world...and filling the evaporator with dust and crap so the A/C hardly works...and then complains about it) but myself and the other guy (938F) ran with the windows closed and the A/C on. At the end of the day Johnny was black from head to toe and totally exhausted....the other guy and myself where clean as a whistle and ready to move on to the next job. What more can you say....
I almost always have it closed. The occational mud in the eye is reason enough for me :crying .
I was thinking of this statement that I made I always had the machine shut off and everything lowered before I stuck my head out to look but...the window still could have come down! I remember one time I was loading gravel with the front bucket of the backhoe, and it was very hot. I had the back window open to get some air. As I was dumping a bucket of gravel, the back window came down with such a force, that I know if my head would have been there I wouldn't be typing this now.
I work in BC canada on Vancouver Island and we mostly deal with blast rock. it all depends on the day and what Im doing. I find having the window down helps protect me from pieces of rock that break off from dropping a boulder if they hit right pieces explode. after a few hits to the face that sting for a while... the window goes down. Im lucky to have A/C in my machine. so on hot days everything is closed up and A/C blasting. I also close up if I dont feel like talking to anyone. it seems to be an open house for people to come up and try and talk with the door open. but I do like the visibility of the door open and window open. I completely agree with the post about operator comfort. the operator will preform at a higher level and for a longer time if he is comfortable.
Ac Makes For A Happy Boy And A Happy Boy Is A Faster Boy
if im just hoging dirt, loading trucks, digging some utility lines, etc ill keep the window closed. Usually if im just dinking around backfilling a house or doing some fine grading i have it open, dust really isnt too much of a problem here since we get enough rain to keep it down.
I was running a 2006 volvo EC210 yesterday and I didnt want to open the window. with the new climate control they have in machines its unbelieveable. Thats my new machine by the way. or the new one I will be running. and the new company Im going to work for.
There is a company working in this area called Bree Contracting they have two Volvo EC210s I don't think they are brandnew must be 05s or so maybe 04s. The problem with Volvo machines is parts are very expensive there is quite a few Volvo articulated trucks used in this area repairing them isn't cheap. The wiper motor is around 600 dollars to replace the heater in them is 1200 dollars.
well Im not worried since Im only running the machine, Yes that will suck for the guy forking out the money, but Its such a smooth machine to run. its one of the best Ive run. out of the 200 size machines. Finning Cat wanted $900 for the piece of glass in the front slider. Ours got smashed out by most likly some teens and we ended up going to glass place and getting the same glass for installed in to the slider for $150 I believe cat parts are also very exspensive. not to mention the when you first buy the machine Cats are progessively $40,000 more right from the start. You can buy a Volvo EC210 for $185,000 with thumb three buckets and FOPS, John Deere 200LC for $206,000 with thumb three buckets and FOPS or a Cat 320BL for $246,000 With thumb TWO buckets and FOPS Thats what those three manufactures have quoted us with, and then your taxes on top of that. So right from the start you save a fair bit from volvo, and brand new machines have warrenty, atleast those manufactures told us 3 year warrentys
I just cant stand dirty glass on anything i operate bee it an excavator or my truck. I'm always cleaning the damn windows but it seems half hour later im right back where i started.
I agree I can't stand cleaning the windows. When I was running backhoe I would go through a the window wash container on the hoe in half a day then the friggin wiper motor packed it in so I had to windex the window and use a squeegy. Like I meantioned even working in the landfill I had to have the front window open I couldn't run with the front window closed.
i know the landfill smells very well i worked @ a fill that had trucks from new york and new jersey haul their stuff here in trailors who knows how long that stuff sat in them trailors... sometimes the drivers smelled as bad as the trash ....hahahah
I always operate the excavators with the windsheild up. Our oldest excavator is right at 10 yrs old, and I know for a fact it has never been risin. The only time the windsheilds were rose in the other machines were to replace the glass when it was broken. I was taught to operate a machine with the windsheild up. although I do operate the machines with the doors or windows open alot. We work in the mud alot so I always keep th windsheild up to keep from getting slattered all the time. I get ust to seeing out the mud spatters.
It all depends on the working conditions. At times, I can't see the bucket since I'm working deep or over a steep bank. I depend on my hearing (whistle or scream) for signals. Glass has a way of screwing up your depth perception. So I'll run open unless it's dusty or the wind is blowing. When I have the cab open, I never run the AC.
I've now trained myself to run with the cab closed pretty much all the time. Unless like pete said, i cant see what im doing, then i'll pop the window up. Much more enjoyable day, now im thinking about tinting the windows.
no choice on mine
hey man thats a great pic i want to see a little more of that
road job I'm working on in wv
Can't see through windows. Hi, RollOverPete and TylerMcKee. I have found that a lot of vision problems through glass are caused by reflections, either from the machine frame outside the cab or from surfaces within the cab. I have painted the insides of several excavator cabs matt black or matt brown to eliminate reflections on the front window from sunlight coming into the cab from ahead. I have recently even made a black plastic shield (from an old oil container) with suction cups to stick on the side window of my track loader cab to stop reflections from the loader frame interfering with my view of the laser sensor on the outisde of the cab door. It works wonders.
What kind of hoe is that? looks big -Michael-
I run with it open unless its really cold like now..
open open all the time rain or shine ,i have a/c but never use it ,just dont like it:beatsme
Closed, no exceptions, if a wayward dust particle gets into your eyes, your squinting everywhere, and after operating 2 Bobcats with front doors, you learn to actually look "through" the glass no matter the glare.
open /closed window Well it depends on what im doing....if i'm working around phone /gas /electric lines /setting culverts sometimes it makes it easy to communicate with guys in the hole with it open ....if it's real hot or cold the ac/heater is going it's closed or dusty/muddy conditions it keeps the cab cleaner.... oh ya it's open sometimes when guys in the hole want to hear some tunes from my am/fm/cassete radio....
Open as often as I can, unless(like many have stated) its really windy or raining hard and at you. Otherwise, even today with the windchill dropping the temp to single digits, I had the window(and bottom) open and door closed. I hate being on an excavator with gloves on, so they are off as well. This summer, running a brand new LB 240X2 Long Front, dredging sand all day for 2 months, I did run with the machine closed up on some of the really hot days due to being in stagnant water and lots of "skeetoes" around. Trbo
Great Ideas! I've seen paint at our yard....I'm gonna have to remember to grab some and try my hand at (cab beautification) reflection elimination. Thanks Deas Plant :drinkup