Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Operator inducement below normal

Cat tech · 2025-10-17 21:15

Hi everyone I seem to be having issues with a CS56B with operator inducement issues It has a new DEF head new DEF pump New coolant valve. But when I hook up to the unit and check my pump status it’s stuck on primming. And I still have the same code of operator inducement below normal. Any pointers ????

Replies44
  1. #1Nige2025-10-18 05:38

    How about supplying a Serial Number and details of Codes are popping up.?

  2. #2Cat tech2025-10-20 14:43

    1 def dosing unit 3361-6 At SCR operator inducement severity 5246-15 Serial number is 0s5601546

  3. #3Nige2025-10-20 14:51

    Do you have the troubleshooting procedures for those two Codes.?

  4. #4Cat tech2025-10-20 15:47

    Not at the moment.

  5. #5Nige2025-10-20 16:47

    You do now.

  6. #6Cat tech2025-10-20 17:48

    Thank you sir. I did the trouble shooting replaced a coolant valve that was giving me improper ohms reading But I when I’m hooked up to the unit and check the status on the def pump it stays on prime Can a bad nox sensor be causing these issues as well?

  7. #7Nige2025-10-20 18:07

    I’m afraid I don’t know. Hopefully one of the emissions experts will chime in. TBH if a NOx sensor was bad I would’ve thought that it would have thrown a Code.

  8. #8pittsburgh cat man2025-10-20 18:25

    I was just thinking was it in limp mode? I seem to remember having to have a factory password to get them out of limp mode

  9. #9Cat tech2025-10-20 18:40

    I goes into limp mode But I just moved it around right now and it didn’t go into limp mode this time but it still showing me operator inducement code.

  10. #10pittsburgh cat man2025-10-20 19:43

    I think I would put et on it run it and see what kind of live data it will show you on emission module you might be able to see what is not normal

  11. #11Cat tech2025-10-20 19:52

    i ran a wiggle test on it And DEF pressure is around 80 But my line 1,2,3 and showing offline as if it’s not picking up the communication as well as my coolant diverter valve.

  12. #12pittsburgh cat man2025-10-20 20:02

    Did you look at harness I seem to remember on some of those modules they would rub the harness thru and break the wires

  13. #13Cat tech2025-10-20 20:20

    Yeah I went through the harness don’t seem to find worn out loom on it Is their any specific are you would typically find worn out spots ?

  14. #14ozarkag2025-10-20 20:21

    Not likely a nox sensor. The dosing unit code triggers the other one. And it is a level one derate, so hasn't been going on too long yet.

  15. #15ozarkag2025-10-20 20:23

    Does it still have the dosing unit code after changing the coolant valve? If only the inducement code is active may require a healthy dose of ET to clear.

  16. #16pittsburgh cat man2025-10-20 21:13

    You could usually see the bad spot pretty easy. I sort of remember this I think I would run it for a while and see if it goes into limp

  17. #17Cat tech2025-10-20 21:49

    I tried giving it the ET attention but it came back

  18. #18Cat tech2025-10-20 22:20

    I had started it this morning and it was running fine it didn’t go into limp mode but it was still showing the code Then I plugged in with et and I checked the graphs and everything seemed fine I did a after treatment test checked out good disconnected the ET Cycled the key went to drive it and it and it probably moved 5ft at most when I went into limp mode

  19. #19pittsburgh cat man2025-10-20 22:45

    If it went back in limp mode there is still a problem But I'm pretty sure It has to clear the codes it's self I have some old training on jump drives I'll try and check them in the morning

  20. #20Cat tech2025-10-20 23:10

    Thank you I appreciate it I’ll try to run it tomorrow and see if I can get it erase.

  21. #21pittsburgh cat man2025-10-21 10:44

    Did you do a dosing test??

  22. #22Cat tech2025-10-21 13:18

    I tried to run a dosing test however it will not let me due to the code active and I try to erase the code to perform the dosing test but the code come right back before I even get to the dosing test

  23. #23mekanik2025-10-21 14:01

    The stuff I work on, none of it Cat equipment the operator inducement code is for information only and you will need to force a regen before you can clear it. The 3316-6 code Catalyst Dosing Unit : Current Above Normal make me suspect there is a problem with the dosing unit or a wire to it is shorted to ground.

  24. #24pittsburgh cat man2025-10-21 20:17

    I'm thinking there is a open circuit. get your spoons out and schematic and start checking wires. It you can't find anything there is always their favorite saying "Though highly unlikely the ecm may have failed"

  25. #25Nige2025-10-22 03:17

    Do you have a schematic.?

  26. #26Cat tech2025-10-23 13:10

    Does anyone have the lay out for the relays to the def system?

  27. #27Nige2025-10-23 13:22

    The schematic will have that information. Still waiting for you to answer the question whether you have one or not.

  28. #28Cat tech2025-10-23 16:58

    Do you happen to know what the pressure to the DEF pump should be At operating mine sits at 80.

  29. #29pittsburgh cat man2025-10-23 17:52

    Here you go

  30. #30Cat tech2025-10-23 18:15

    I think I might have a bad def injector

  31. #31pittsburgh cat man2025-10-23 18:29

    Have you had the injector out? it isn't plugged with crystalized def is it?

  32. #32Cat tech2025-10-24 20:52

    I have not pulled it out Are those possible to visually inspect and clean out? I tested the ohm readying on it and it read a little more then it should have I believe it needed to be between 6-8 ohms

  33. #33pittsburgh cat man2025-10-24 21:38

    Yes you can see it My trucks will start throwing codes and it looks like this a little water in a spray bottle cleans it out pretty easy

  34. #34Cat tech2025-10-27 15:41

    I cleaned out the injector already checked my harness as well But it won’t left me run any other test due to #1 DEF Dosing current below normal

  35. #35pittsburgh cat man2025-10-27 20:36

    Thought, unplug injector and see what et says

  36. #36Cat tech2025-10-27 20:38

    I did unplug it and it stayed the same.

  37. #37pittsburgh cat man2025-10-27 20:52

    I would check the pins and sockets in the plugs to make sure they are all the way in and not corroded check at controller

  38. #38Cat tech2025-10-28 11:16

    I did check pins everything was good How can I verify the injector is bad?

  39. #39mekanik2025-10-28 14:40

    the 3361-6 code was for Dosing unit current above normal. 3361-5 is for current below normal. Something has changed. With an ohm meter can you test each of the wires that go to the DEF injector from the injector to the ECU that controls the injector? Measure the resistance of the injector at the injector and at the ECU. Are they very close to the same. I'm going to hazard a guess that the injector resistance should be between 10 and 50 ohms

  40. #40pittsburgh cat man2025-10-28 16:14

    He is right it did change I would hook et up with injector plugged in watch codes and unplug it and see what it says

  41. #41Cat tech2025-10-28 20:33

    I did unplug the connector when I had ET hooked up and nothing changed same code stayed active. And when I checked ohms on the injector alone with no harness connected I got between 9-10 ohms.

  42. #42Island_catguy2025-10-28 22:02

    Hi guys, sorry for being late to the party. If you have dosing current below normal, and it does not change to current above normal when you unplug the def injector, you probably have def in the harness causing the short. Any operator inducement will clear if all the other faults are taken care of. You don’t need to run a regen, most of the time running at idle for 10-15mins will clear it up. So right now, the only current fault is for the dosing unit current below normal and operator inducement correct?

  43. #43Island_catguy2025-10-28 22:51

    9/10 times I just plug in my test injector when I see a def injector low code. Code disappears, I can run the dosing test and check the spray pattern. I am currently doing the 1/10 which is pulling 4 harnesses that have had def “wick” throughout. Usually, you can see the def fluid inside the connector at the pump or injector. If you already replaced the head and the pump, grab an injector. Plug it in, see if code clears.

  44. #44Cat tech2025-11-10 12:11

    Thank you all for the help put in a new DEF injector and a fixed the issue. Appreciate all the help and pointers