Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Operator skills/requirements.

Dig-dog ยท 2012-09-08 16:59

Hi all, new to this forum so I'll apologise if I'm covering old ground but my questions are thus: I'm a UK based operator, been at it for around 20 years with brief time away for good behaviour and have the UK "tickets" to prove my skills in a variety of machines. My wife has been considering working in the US :usa (she's a teacher so far more employable (and better looking!)) than I, so, What do I need to do to be an operator in the USA? Do you have licenses/official qualifications or is it a bit like the UK used to be when I started and were judged on your QBE. (qualified by experience) Do things vary state to state? Any help or advice greatly appreciated folks.

Replies7
  1. #1Turbo218352012-09-08 19:43

    Dig, that may depend where you are looking. But in general, you say you can operate, company puts you in machine, sees you can make it move, they hire you.

  2. #2mitch5042012-09-08 21:14

    I think Massachusetts and Rhode Island at least require licenses, but most states don't.

  3. #3Greg2012-09-08 22:27

    I don't know what state you are looking at. First you will need a "green card" from US Imagration and Naturalization Service, now called "ICE." You can't get hired legally any where with out it. States are different. Some very strict like Massachusetts and Rhode Island mentioned above. I know Oregon is also. Some nothing required at all. Next thing to contend with will be the IUOE. Good luck

  4. #4Buckethead2012-09-09 10:51

    I would be more worried about your wife finding work here. A lot of towns are laying off teachers and/or trying to reduce their pay. The media here exaggerate how much teachers actually make. If you are reading US media that says teachers actually make $100K a year you will be disappointed. I will not get into any political discussions of why that is, just trying to point out the reality. Don't get me wrong, teaching is still a good job with decent pay and benefits. It's just that the newspapers and radio(around here anyway) are rabble rousing people to try to change that, and it seems like it's starting to work.

  5. #5Dig-dog2012-09-09 15:04

    Thanks for all this guys. We've worked out the green card bit. My wife would be sponsored by a University and, as her husband I'm allowed a green card apparently. Typically though... It looks like it's going to be Massachusetts or possibly Rhode Island! Ah well. At least I now know that thre's another hurdle to overcome and get on with working to the correct license. Cheers all!

  6. #6rabia2012-09-12 06:49

    Dig Best of luck if you already has gotten all this. You have enough experience and according to you , you can also operate many types of machines. So in my point of view soon you will get good job because experience is always preferred everywhere. But its better to have license. It will give you additional advantage over your experience that you are certified.

  7. #7jeff452012-09-13 19:13

    I am from Boston. You just need to pass a common sence test of multiple choice questions. what university is she looking to teach at?