Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Opinions – 2004 Cat 216 vs 2005 Bobcat S150

Tjones98 · 2026-05-06 08:23

Sold my 751 when I left Colorado and looking for a new (to me) one. Moved to WI, and landed on two, both in the $16K range. #1 - 2004 Cat 216 all hand controls, new tires, rubber over the tire tracks, bucket. 1900 hrs - don't know much more about it yet other than a head gasket replaced. #2 - 2005 Bobcat S150 hand and foot, good tires, hi-flow/two speed, heat, door, bucket. 3500 hrs. Will be used for general landscaping, food plotting, wood-mill, ranch type work. Been reading up, Bobcat's lift cap is a little more and a little longer wheelbase, but the tracks on the Cat I think make up for that. Cat should operate smoother and quieter. Other thoughts?

Replies20
  1. #1Mr. Wrench2026-05-06 10:18

    How are the dealers for those brands in your area?

  2. #2Tjones982026-05-06 10:31

    Multiple dealers in the area for the Bobcat, one about an hour away for the Cat.

  3. #3BC Placer gold2026-05-06 11:35

    For me #2 option. Bobcat S150 Far better engine….(Kubota V2203). Nice, fairly simple machine, as long as condition checks out… Post should be in skid steers for more responses… Good luck!

  4. #4Nige2026-05-06 13:34

    Admin has been asked to move it.

  5. #5John C.2026-05-06 14:44

    The engines in the 216 had a problem where they self destructed. When you get a chance to run the machine, warm up the engine to operating temperature. Park the machine with the engine running at idle and then remove the engine fill cap on top of the valve cover. If there is a problem there will be lots of blow by and maybe some smoke. If you see that, run away.

  6. #6Welder Dave2026-05-07 01:00

    It's odd to need a head gasket in less than 1900 hours as well.

  7. #7Simon C2026-05-07 11:20

    Some good comment above. One thing to be mindful of is that a 2004 Cat 216 has some parts discontinued from Caterpillar. That is how things are now. The Bobcat is up there in years and not too many folks know all the ins and outs of repairing them especially the safety systems. Kubota engines are pretty good but there is more to a unit than an engine. So many have bought looked like good units on this site only to be deep into a won't operate problem. Better do a good inspection, maybe some oil samples, and check on parts availability. Simon C

  8. #8southernman132026-05-07 18:53

    I have a 216B3 and love it but only use it now and again. It’s cool litlle machine. Think it has 1600 ish hrs. Not sure if it has a different motor than The 216. Not even sure the year if mine.

  9. #9Simon C2026-05-07 23:30

    B3 series is newer by quite a few years. Simon C

  10. #10OliviaLopez2026-05-11 11:08

    for me Bobcat S150 for better engine

  11. #11Simon C2026-05-11 12:31

    More problems with the electrical than with the engines on these units, with limited help. A good engine with the brakes stuck on is still broke down. Just my opinion. Simon C

  12. #12Welder Dave2026-05-11 13:32

    The more I read about problems with newer skid steers the more I'm happy with my 94 Thomas. It's very simple with no electronics and a Kubota engine. People that knock them I don't think spent much time if any running them. It's not perfect but is equal to or better than a Bobcat 743,753, Case 1840, etc. The one thing I wish it had was a Bobcat style quick attach. It was still a Bobcat patent in 94 but in 95 the universal quick attach came out. There is a company making a universal quick attach for it but it's very pricey. Thomas had an adaptor. I'm thinking of making my own adaptor so I can rent an auger or other attachments if I need to. I have 3 buckets for it, actually 4 but one is worn out and needs some repairs.

  13. #13CM19952026-05-11 13:54

    That 751 would've out lasted both of the newer machines. 751/753's were bullet proof. In my experience parts will be more available for the Cat than the Bobcat. Have to defer to the others that are more knowledgable on each machine's durability.

  14. #14Simon C2026-05-11 15:16

    Yes 751's and 753's were of a different era. Less comforts but always worked. Simon C

  15. #15Mr. Wrench2026-05-11 18:36

    What parts are hard to get for an S150?

  16. #16Welder Dave2026-05-11 19:51

    I thought there were a lot of problems with the early BOSS system on Bobcats?

  17. #17Simon C2026-05-11 19:58

    Boss system problems from what I know. Anything can be fixed but I dealt with Dealership for Bobcat and can't get info to repair, or some parts not available. Companies are not holding onto parts for 30 years anymore. You can buy a new machine. Simon C

  18. #18Welder Dave2026-05-11 22:17

    I thought Bobcat had good parts support for older machines. I remember reading someone found parts on a shelf for an old M970.

  19. #19Simon C2026-05-11 23:22

    Some individual dealers did have parts managers that seen that the same piece breaks every 3000 hours so stocked some as they knew they would all sell eventually. Sometimes a dealer will do a search for some part and it comes up as no longer supported, could be an individual dealer that has one, but none available from the parts factory. If you spend lots of time you can find yourself, but they wont spend 20 hours for your $500 part. I have 2 Transmission filter By- pass sensors for most 10 to 30 year old Cat Wheel loaders and Dozers, that the ffactory has stopped making for some suppose to be new and improved one. These older ones last 5000 hours or more, doubt the replacements will last that long. Its how business runs today. Simon C

  20. #20Welder Dave2026-05-11 23:52

    It used to be common for independent repair shops to buy used common dozers/equipment to part out. I know Union Tractor did as well as Ed Miller. (Ed Miller got caught selling parts off stolen machines) Sometimes the used machines were good running units. I think with older machines like D6D's and D7G's etc. owners would keep them going as long as possible because new machines were way too expensive. Also think smaller operations or farmers ran a lot of older less expensive equipment and bought a lot of parts for them.