I'm looking for a backup home genny. I had planned on a Kubota powered apx. 25kw unit on a 100 gallon sub tank. This will be about $16,000.00 plus $2,000.00 for a ATS so about $18,000. I know this is a true industrial grade generator and will last. Here is the deal, my son in law's dad is a Generac dealer and can get me in a 24kw unit with ATS for $4,000.00. I know they are homeowner grade and certainly is comparing apples to oranges. The internet reviews are all over the place from people loving their units to hating them. He has about 100 customers on bi-annual maintenance and say's he has very little problems with them other than batteries. I will use a 500 gallon LP tank. Anyone here with experience with these homeowner grade units?
Too much experience with them; If they make it through the break in period, they will usually last. Kohler or Briggs is always a better option. Have you had a load calc done on what size you actually need? 24-25kW is thirsty on either fuel if you aren't using all that it puts out.
24 or 25kw seems like overkill for a backup generator. What all are you planning on running when main power goes out?
My apologies for not getting back sooner. I have been dealing with prepping for the storm that changed course. We have a 200 amp service. Here is the amp load: A/C- 30.0 amps RLA heat pump with 25kw backup heat Water well- 10.0 amps RLA Septic pump- 5.0 amps RLA Water heater- 30.0 amps Plus lights, refrigerator, freezer, microwave, oven, washer, dryer... Other than the cook top we are all electric. I plan to load shed and manage the load to use a mid size generator. Cooling is the big thing down here especially after a hurricane, the heat and humidity will kill you. I also plan to install soft starts on the HVAC and water well. Comments and advice is appreciated!
That's a lot of power draw (not even accounting for inrush), so the 24-25kW range should cover it, especially with some load shed modules and soft starts.
Check on Kohler as well. Generac is the brand that spends big $ on advertising, always have. Generac annoyingly needs 400 hour valve clearance adjustment intervals, Kohler hydraulic among other advantages.
I appreciate the responses. Again I have access to Generac being very affordable but much of the reading indicates a lot of unhappy customers especially from years ago. Generac is supposed to have their act together now. I'm not expecting a 3600 rpm air cooled unit to be as reliable as a 1800 rpm Diesel. But I don't want to buy a POS and regret it either.
I think a used low speed diesel might be better than a new Generac for what you want.
I have a 7kw unit and auto transfer switch. Have about $300 into it (bought as NOS. It's about 25 years old but never used). Mine is on nautral gas. 7kw is overkill for me. Need maybe 2000-2500ish watts to run the boiler and pumps, freezer, fridge l, well pump and a few lights... and that's only if they ran all at once. Anything else would simply be convenience items. Not like I really need to do wash or fire up the toaster oven, but if no power for a week or two, it'd be nice.
They've been selling Gen Sets for what 60+ years? If they sucked that bad no one would buy them. I had a 7kw 1800 diesel unit, but it wasn't auto start and all that. I work away from home for weeks at a time so wanted something in case power was out in winter. Had one windstorm where we had no power for 3 or 4 days. My old Generac failed (1980s). Had it not been for my woodstove, the house would have froze up. Put a propane heater in the garage by the boiler, water softener, etc to keep it from freezing.
I've been hearing that for the 25 years I have been in the business now.
Can you elaborate on your experience with Generac?