I've been looking for a CTL and there's a t200 coming up at a local auction. I was wondering if these are reliable machines. Are there any common problems and what are some opinions in general. Why don't they make this model anymore?
I am sure someone will have a different opinion but here is mine. T200s are extremely expensive to keep up and running due to drive components and I would not consider this machine. At auction sometimes they will sell very cheap because of this fact and sometimes they bring fair market value for a comparable machine. If you want to depend on it and make some cash keep looking.
I hope frogfarmer is wrong, because I just picked up a well-used T200 yesterday. I bought it from a dealer, but before I took delivery I had it gone over thoroughly by a good shop. The things you want to look at are the hubs and the case drain filter. There is a small set screw on the drives that retain a small amount of expensive and crucially important oil. If you can, see if you can take a look at that oil. First, you want to make sure it's there- it's an often overlooked maintenance item. Second, you want to see if it looks like dark oil or iridescent paint. If the latter, or if there is no oil, you are probably in for some expensive drive repairs. The same thing with the case drain filter. As I understand, this machine has only one. Look for metal. Another very weak point is the attachment for the lift cylinder. Mine was already re-welded. I actually considered that a plus, since all of these machines ultimately crack there and need to be repaired. You will need to consider a new timing belt. The Deutz is an interference engine, and if the timing belt goes, so will some of your pushrods. The parts kit is not expensive, and I didn't pay too much for labor. The drive components are very expensive. You can easily face an $8000 bill if the pumps and motors are making metal. Also, if you have an enclosed cab, be sure to keep that door closed. There is little clearance between the door and the lift arms. Many of those machines are missing the doors because of inattention, and replacement doors are hard to find, and expensive when you do.
I own a 2003 T200. When I purchased it, it had a brand new undercarriage. Tracks, rollers, sprockets etc... I was told that some of these units had faulty drive motors and tested each. I inspected the timing belt as I was aware that these are a maintenance item. The overall condition of the machine made me decide to buy it. Original paint, low (1800) hours, radio, heat and a/c, and enclosed cab. With a price tag of $13,000. Only problem I ever had was a blown hydraulic line. I am happy I bought mine.
I have an 864 model- the unit just before the T200, it is basically the same machine. It has been excellent and has appox 2000 hrs now except that a drive just had to be replaced from the dealer, yes it was very costly at $5200 but still better that trying to trade up. Hoping the other side holds now.