Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Opinions on this track tension?

fastline · 2023-08-09 17:34

Doing some adjusting on the 322 and realizing if I went off book specs, she would be pretty sloppy. Curious how you guys set them for best wear? I notice that most machines, when they pick up one of the tracks off the ground, the bottom chain barely hangs down at all. Mine would sag down more than 1ft. The pic is after I made track adjustments. The book spec is 1.625-2.125" with straight edge between front idler and first carrier. Hell, that is about what is measured before I adjusted it and it was obviously loose! With adjustments, it is about .75" sag. I'd really like it tighter but I want to do what is best for the machine. The chains are at end of life so I am careful with it until I decide to do chains.

Replies4
  1. #1DMiller2023-08-09 18:50

    Will know if too tight when pops a link pin.

  2. #2skyking12023-08-09 20:30

    Yes you would be entering the ´find out¨ phase of FAFO. If you are not tossing off tracks, do not tighten beyond spec. If you are tossing off tracks, replace them.

  3. #3fastline2023-08-10 17:15

    I found the info I needed. thx anyway.

  4. #4CM19952023-08-10 17:52

    Stick with spec. IMO that track is too tight.