Hi, I am torn between the 1845C and BC 853. The 853 has the door and enclosure, heat and an ongoing problem with the bucket arms and worn bushings. ( see other post). It has 4800 hrs and RUNS GREAT. Cosmetically it looks tired. It pops off with out needing glo plugs and seems to be a good running machine. The 1845C has 2200 hours and is in great shape. I would prefer the 1845 as I like the hand controls, but I'm concerned about it starting when it gets cold. The BC has glo plugs and seems to start instantly. The Case is slow to start even now when it is only 50 degrees. When it starts, it runs great. Lots of power. I think the battery could be replaced with a bigger one to help, as the previous owner just had put a group 24 battery in the machine. I am aware of the 1845 solenoid problem and am able to easily fix that. I plan to sell one of these, but I would like to know which one will start in the winter here on the frozen tundra of Minnesota? What's your opinion? Dave
Sounds like the 1845C is the best choice. Some options on the cold start, you might check on adding either assist to help on those subzero days. As I recall the battery space is tight, but you might be able to get more CCA out of a better battery. You might also try running synthetic oil. Whatever the issues are to starting I would rather address those than the issues of a worn out 853. You likely never see a return on the money spent rebushing and repairing the BC.
1845c the Cummins engine is bullet proof and 2200 hours is nothing. I try not to use ether on any of my diesel engines. Had an 1845c 10 years ago with 8500 hours installed a block heater for cold starts down to -10F. It may have started colder but thats as cold as it gets here in MO. That engine at 8500 never even had the valve covers off. Only used it one winter but never hesitated to start. Got it from a friend in money trouble and he bought it back the next summer.
My opinion. Too bad the Case is a hard starter. Past ether use can be a contributing factor to continued issues with starting. Ether is a dry fuel (no lube in the gas) and contributes to glazzing of the cylinder wall which equals low cylinder compression when cold. It's use therefore becomes perpetual, the more you use it the more you need it. After piston and cylinder warms up the combustion chamber seal becomes better so you usually do not notice a starting issue when warm. If at all possible do not use ether and do not start to use ether but this is easier said than done. I have had to use it in the past in severe applications. I also live in a harsh enviroment where it is sub zero (below -32F) a majority (seems like) of the year and I rely on the machine to start when I need it. I agree totally with Frog. Take the time and install an engine block heater. A jobber will have the right size to fit your application. If this is not an option then I have installed many circulating water heaters by splitting the heater hose. Make sure you install these at the correct elevation or they will not work. They work on the theory that hot water will rise and this allows the unit to circulate the coolant. Instructions are included. As far as the 4 cylinder Cummins engine used in these machines I also agree with Frog, bulletproof. I have only been on the forum for a short time and I see the sentiments of alot of bloggers to echoe this. I worked on Case product for some time and the reputation of the 1845C has always been good. That is why when I was in need of a machine I targeted the 1845C and bought one. It needed minor repairs but now that I have it done I would not trade it for the latest and greatest pilot operated hydraulic, tracked machine with 72 ECMs in the world. I was shocked at the first round of the XT series and still have nightmares of those days. That's all I'm going to say. I think they finally worked alot of the bugs out of that series but I notice they are into a brand new series now that I have not worked on. Hope this helps. Good luck with your decision. I have never worked on "Bobcat" so cannot offer my opinion on that brand.
The 1845C is bullet proof. As far as the hard start..make sure that the aux function pedal is not partially stroked and that the servos on the tandem pump are centered. This is a common thing with the 1845s. If they are even partially stroked they will cause the hydraulic system or the hydrostats to build a slight pressure causing the starter to turn over slowly.