Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

ORB O rings size

AllDodge ยท 2026-07-13 19:30

Replaced all hydraulic lines on my hoe (SN in sig), boom, dipper, etc Three of the lines are 5/8 ID hose and fittings come out standard fittings for 5/8 hose fittings I'm trying to find out what size O ring is used on the male side of the fittings. Looking at CAT I'm finding part number 6V-9746 but unsure that is the correct one. Picked up a couple from a local NAPA and they sold me #10 rings. Took them home and they are to big. I have some Nitrite rings and #9 is working but being Nitrite it won't last in Hydro oil. Can anyone convert it to a standard size ring?

Replies16
  1. #1Tony Wells2026-07-13 20:06

    If it an SAE size: AS568 Size Chart www.mroring.com

  2. #2willie592026-07-13 20:09

    Aside from Cat part numbers, AS568 is the most common o-ring size standard for fittings used in the US, including SAE o-ring boss fittings. All AS568 size o-ring part numbers start with 568, then you have the series, 000 (ought) series, then 100 series, then 200 series, each series graduation is a thicker cross section. So a typical part number for a 568 o-ring would be like 568-014 ought series, or 568-114 100 series, etc. As for o-ring boss they specifically require 900 series o-rings, like 568-906, or 568-910. The 9 denotes 900 series, the numbers after denote the dash (-) size. If you have a 5/8 tube size SAE o-ring boss fitting, then that would be a -10, o-ring would be 568-910. If you use any o-ring on o-ring boss fittings other than 900 series it will fail.

  3. #3AllDodge2026-07-13 20:24

    ok, but unless the NAPA guy gave me something larger than a 10 , it was to big. I ordered new hoses and they all fit just by specifying hose ID and type of fitting Do agree the ring I have in there now will fail, and this is why I'm trying to find the correct ring Figure it has to be Buna-N or Vitron

  4. #4AllDodge2026-07-13 20:26

    Also when I search AS568-910 it comes up as Nitrel and Buna-N so could be my current O-ring box is ok. I thought it said nitrite but may have said Nitrel, will have to look

  5. #5willie592026-07-13 20:38

    Measure the male thread OD of your o-ring boss adapter fitting, not the hose side of the fitting, the straight thread OD size where the o-ring goes. 5/8" tube size use 7/8-14 threads, and would be -10. If that's correct, the o-ring would be 568-910. No other o-ring other than that part number will work. Buna or Nitrile will work, Nitrile is just more abrasion resistant, which really isn't an issue with ORB fittings.

  6. #6willie592026-07-13 20:42

    3/8" tube size, -6 ORB, 9/16-18 threads, 568-906 1/2" tube size, -8 ORB, 3/4-16 threads, 568-908 5/8" tube size, -10 ORB, 7/8-14 threads, 568-910 3/4" tube size, -12 ORB, 1 1/16-12 threads, 568-912

  7. #7Swetz2026-07-14 05:54

    I am not 1oo% sure, but If I am understanding your problem, this is what you need. Has bailed me out on my old hoe! https://www.ebay.com/itm/173242899836?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-166974-028196-7&mkcid=2&mkscid=101&itemid=173242899836&targetid=2274951440814&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9007071&poi=&campaignid=22105563093&mkgroupid=172954124283&rlsatarget=pla-2274951440814&abcId=10164879&merchantid=101981954&geoid=9007071&gad_source=1&gad_campaignid=22105563093&gbraid=0AAAAAD_QDh_V-zD0Jz-8CX8GnAqTQzPP_&gclid=CjwKCAjwvNfSBhBiEiwAyaGMCb2_jBLFoHRSs6mluwxlasjUvHGnv4lSpIrGkrT5B7BS5BUZtf6s7hoCmxoQAvD_BwE

  8. #8AllDodge2026-07-14 08:32

    Didn't measure the male threads because I didn't want to mess with loosing oil again, measured the just behind the threads and it was 0.75 Wrench size is 7/8 on male and 15/16 on female fitting Looks like I had all the o-rings I needed to begin with, they are Nitrile / Buna-N

  9. #9AllDodge2026-07-14 08:38

    Oh, and note #9 is AS568 111

  10. #10willie592026-07-14 20:09

    I think we need to back up and and clarify that we're all on the same page, because it's a distinction that's critical. Are you looking for the o-ring for SAE O-ring boss threads? Or are you looking for the o-ring for o-ring face seal (ORFS) fittings? The title of your thread clearly states ORB, which is industry abbreviation for O-ring Boss fittings.

  11. #11AllDodge2026-07-14 21:39

    Don't know how to answer that, I have hose fittings on my backhoe which have O rings and I asked and now we are here

  12. #12willie592026-07-14 22:02

    It would help greatly if you could take a picture of the fitting you're working on that needs an o-ring and post it here. We really need to clear this up to properly help you out as ORFS and ORB are two totally different fitting connections.

  13. #13Swetz2026-07-15 06:37

    Hopefully I didnt screw up this thread. What I posted is for ORFS fittings. That is what is on my NH backhoe.

  14. #14AllDodge2026-07-15 07:27

    It's a ORFS fitting, sorry for the mix up

  15. #15Swetz2026-07-15 08:02

    So then, my post was the correct O-rings.

  16. #16willie592026-07-15 20:32

    No worries, and easy enough. As other have suggested, you just need an ORFS o-ring kit. If you have a machine with ORFS fittings you're gonna need it.