Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Oregon Logging Confrence Pics

JTL ยท 2009-02-21 03:46

I left Boardman at 4 Friday morning and got back at about 11:30 pm. I was supposed to meet some buddies from Port Angeles, but they wussed out, so I walked around the place 3 times, took some pics and left. I was a little disapointed in the lack of equipment on display, but it was worth the trip.Enjoy!

Replies46
  1. #1JTL2009-02-21 03:58

    Heres some more! How bout some old time trucks!

  2. #2JTL2009-02-21 04:08

    Some Deere's, Hitachi's and Link Belt's

  3. #3nedly052009-02-21 05:18

    Great pics, That little 5 set up for forestry is a nice unit. Where abouts is that? where is all the snow you had?

  4. #4JTL2009-02-21 12:48

    The show is in Eugene,OR. The snow melted, thank god!Heres some more. I got to tired last night!

  5. #5John C.2009-02-21 12:57

    Thanks for the picts! It doesn't look like the event was well attended but I'm assuming you were in there early. I've heard it has been in a decline like the rest of the forestry industry. What do you think?

  6. #6JTL2009-02-21 13:01

    Some more

  7. #7JTL2009-02-21 13:10

    This was the first time I'd been there. There were alot of people there, but from what I heard from others attendance was down. As well as equipment displays. On Friday they do alot of seminars, so quite a few people were in those all day. I did happen to see Mike Pihl, and a few of his crew of Pihl Logging from Axmen fame. I know he did a seminar about the show. I would have really liked to have heard what he had to say about it! Jason

  8. #8bear2009-02-23 06:50

    Neat stuff there JTL. A question I've been pondering awhile now that has bothered me a little is how do they get those log trailer/dollies up on the back of the trucks? They use an excavator or loader? And why load them (other than the convenience of not having them in the way back up the mountain) Neat stuff anyway the loggers around here would die (jealousy? confusion?) if they saw some of that equipment.

  9. #9JTL2009-02-23 19:29

    Well Bear, the main reason, like you thought, is make it easier to get turned around when you get back to the wood. Sometimes a truck will have to back up a LONG ways to get to the landing. Also makes it a bit eaiser to duck into a J-hole when a loaded truck is coming down the mountian. Another reason is to put weight on the drive axels.Heres a pic of a trailer loader I found on the web. whitlogtrailers.com has some good pictures of there trailer loaders. Jason

  10. #10CAT955L2009-02-23 22:57

    sweet CAT D6K.

  11. #11trainwreck2009-02-23 23:06

    jtl did you see the root beer brown t800 kenworth with a new general low bed trailer?? If so it is the company i work for new heavy haul truck

  12. #12JTL2009-02-24 07:19

    Yes sir I did. It was sitting there in Pape's line up, you can almost see it at the end of the line up in that one pic. Sharp looking truck! Specd out like a lowboy should be!! I thought I took a better picture of it, but I cant find it. Jason

  13. #13KevD8152009-02-24 23:49

    The Cat in the first pic is sick! I cant say ive seen one of those before but then again we dont do much heavy logging here in central Connecticut.

  14. #14bear2009-02-26 03:40

    Thanks for the info JTL around here all anyone runs out of the woods are tandem axle trucks with a log frame over the tandems. Usually get loaded witha converted farm tractor or an off road forklift in one case I know of don't see many of them with the rack loader on them anymore around here.

  15. #15334 lawn co2009-02-26 22:46

    lovin that dozer in the fifth pic

  16. #16oakland2009-02-26 23:20

    great pics thats some nice equipment!

  17. #17Deano2009-03-04 06:15

    Any pics of that cat with the black boom? Your staying under it, or atleast taken the picture thru the boom for the first pic and its behind the 527 in the fourth pic. Thanks Dean

  18. #18Tracker2009-03-04 19:57

    That is hailarious, you caught me in one of your pics's. I agree attendance was down as were the equipment numbers. Got to talk to Mike Phil for a bit - neat guy.

  19. #19Bellboy2009-03-05 11:39

    Ooh... WOW!! How I would have loved to be there! What a treat. Some really nice pics you took there hey. I love the John Deere stuff, but the Cat stuff looks good too.

  20. #20JTL2009-03-06 00:28

    Deano- Sorry man I didnt get any pics of that black boom machine, Its a 330D log shovel. Everything was so tightly packed, it was hard to get pictures of everything. Tracker- Its a small world bud! To bad we couldnt have meet and mabey had a brew or two!:drinkup Jason

  21. #21coopers2009-03-09 17:15

    JTL, what's the attachment on the mini JCB called?

  22. #22JTL2009-03-09 23:21

    Its called a stroke harvester. Works like a dangle head, but its a little stroker. hakmetusa.com is the web site. They have a little bit of info about it on there. I watched some video of it at the show. Seemed a bit slow, but for the size of the wood they were cutting, beat the heck out of a chainsaw! I dont think it has a measuring system, but would work awesome for a pre-commercial thinning job, or just clearing the dead and dying reprod out of a stand. Jason

  23. #23coopers2009-03-11 00:08

    Yes I do like that attachment. It would be easier than a chainsaw.

  24. #24Canevari Timber2009-04-28 19:56

    Those 527 track skidders are awesome machines if you have to move alot of timber fast on steep ground!!!They will pull a big turn if you have a good operator.

  25. #25Ace Grading2009-05-11 20:30

    How much Was the dozer?

  26. #26Contract Logger2010-03-13 21:13

    JTL- heres a neat old pic taken closer to your neck of the woods, I thought you might like it!

  27. #27REDWOOD LOGGER2010-03-26 02:00

    Thats a neat old picture! Thanks contract logger for turning me on to this site!

  28. #28Contract Logger2010-03-26 02:04

    Is your avatar a 120 or 124?? to small for me to see, lol. We have a Madill thread going, if you want you could post some pics of it there, we'd love it!

  29. #29REDWOOD LOGGER2010-03-26 02:32

    ITS A 124 BUILT IN 2002 WITH A DETROIT AND DUAL SWING MOTORS, WE RUN A RUNNING SKY LINE SET UP WITH A MECHANICAL CARRIAGE. iTS REAL OPERATOR FRIENDLY, AND CAN MOVE THE RIGGIN REAL FAST.

  30. #30JeremyM702010-04-10 23:57

    I got to go this year for the first time, took a few pictures. Trying to figure out how to upload them. They had a Madill 172 for sale by Modern Machinery from Gustafson Logging in Astoria, not sure if they were trading one in or they are cutting back.

  31. #31HCF2010-11-19 22:43

    When I was younger this show was the highlight of the year for anyone in the industry. Madill, thunderbird and all the other manufacturers were all there with huge booth outside and 5-10 machines shined and set up. I have gone 19 years in a row now. I'm only 20 so ive got a pretty record going so far. It used to take 6-8 hours to get through looking at everything. Every building at the fairgrounds was full. This last show had all the indoor vendors in one building. Even in 2002 it was huge. Growing up in the industry I know a lot of people out there. It took me a little less than 2 hours to catch up on life with everyone that I knew and look at all the booths. So yes. It isn't anything like it used to be. I guess it just follows the trend of the industry. I've heard stories of logging shows in the past(mid 80's) and I guess there used to be thunderbird girls. Walking into their tent out back was a lot like walking into a hooters from what I've heard.

  32. #32JeremyM702010-12-04 17:48

    February 24-26, 2011 http://www.oregonloggingconference.com/ Anyone going? Hoping to get there, had fun last year.

  33. #33HCF2010-12-05 16:55

    I for one will be there. 20 years old and I've gone 19 years in a row. Can't wait. Heard they may have a couple new Madill machines done by then. I'm keeping my fingers crossed! Hope to see you there!

  34. #34JeremyM702010-12-05 17:50

    Looking forward to it too, will be my second year in a row. But I've wanted to go for about 25 years if that counts That would be cool to see a brand new Madill yarder there this year?

  35. #35Contract Logger2010-12-06 23:12

    There won't be a yarder. Maybe a Madill shovel- like I said they have signed commitments for 12 (that's the number an insider gave me) machines, mostly 3800C heelers. If you see a Madill at Eugene 2011, it will likely be a buncher or 3800C I suspect. I last went to the show in 2003, and it was so small then compared to years past I havent been back. I'll always remember the 70's when there were 30+ new yarders. Skagit, Madill, Berger, Washington with 8 to 10 yarders each. Thunderbird hadn't even been dreamed of yet..... in 2002 I could see the writing on the wall. I was working/helping with the show for Madill, and we got a chopper and took a bunch of ariel pics of the showgrounds. I'll round up those pics. I think we had 9 Madill machines in 2002- and a couple tan TB leftovers. Boy how I wish we'd have done that in the 70's and 80's!

  36. #36JeremyM702010-12-13 16:12

    I'm thinking of taking off work on Friday and driving down, when are others coming down?

  37. #37HCF2011-01-24 22:17

    I'll be there Saturday morning. Bright and early. I was very disappointed last year. In years past they would let you in around 7:00 AM to lumber around the outside stuff and catch up on life with everyone. They didnt do that last year. Hopefully we will at least see a couple madill logos at the modern booth at least. I know a lot of the mills around here are running out of wood. So logging has picked up a little bit. Hope to see everyone there!

  38. #38JTL2011-01-31 22:44

    Boss called me today. Sounds like I might be in The Dalles in 2 weeks to do a little project. If so I'll defenitly make it down to Eugene.

  39. #39HCF2011-02-26 17:11

    well fellas. not even a madill logo anywhere. I did take some pics today though. Most of these pics are too large for the uploader so heres a link to the album on PhotoBucket http://s884.photobucket.com/albums/ac49/416shooter/oregon logging conference 2011/

  40. #40JeremyM702011-02-27 15:45

    Nice pictures, thanks for sharing! Looks like some of the Astoria area loggers got some new Cat machines. I didn't get to go this year, got struck down by the winter creeping crud :-(

  41. #41HCF2011-03-10 18:56

    bummer. I was actually looking through a timber west catalog after i left and Modern Machinery has a full page ad saying that Madill is back. I also spoke with a guy on another forum who said that they are most likely going to buy the first new production 3800C. He said that modern flew his boss up to nichols manufacturing ltd and there is one on the floor being built.

  42. #42Doug19662011-05-07 22:28

    Hi, There was an article here in the Victoria paper the Times Colonist. Nicolson Machine has bought plans and rights from the company in the US that got them When Madill folded. They are going to building here in Victoria (actually Sidney). Thanks Doug.

  43. #43truklodyte2011-05-15 07:24

    nice picture showing how the trailer part is loaded upon the truck. I always thought it was an automated system that did it. Thanks again.

  44. #44log big2011-05-19 11:14

    i been herer before 3 day event all kinds of equipment Madill CAT deere i wish i was there for 2011

  45. #45dresser125c2011-05-19 11:35

    Awesome pics. My son loves this stuff.

  46. #46log big2011-05-19 12:21

    madill equipment my favret maybe 2012 i will be there