Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

OROP screen build **need help**

LandTech ยท 2014-12-03 00:23

I'm wanting to build screens for my D3B. I've looked all over this forum for answers but came up empty. Can someone please tell me what the screen material is called that the manufacturers use? Thanks

Replies12
  1. #1caterpillarmech2014-12-03 05:37

    You can you expanded or you can use crusher screen. I have seen kits that use laser cut steel plate to form a mesh as well.

  2. #2grandpa2014-12-03 05:55

    Here's a link to a screen company that ship's same day... http://www.rbscott.com/parts/

  3. #3Check Break2014-12-03 17:37

    Wire Cloth. Here's another link. http://www.cwcloth.com/index.php?action=crusher.php

  4. #4Labparamour2014-12-03 23:42

    Careful, expanded metal has really sharp edges! +1 for crusher screen. DB

  5. #5LandTech2014-12-04 08:45

    Thanks for the information. What size opening is best?

  6. #6Labparamour2014-12-04 10:52

    I think my son used 1 1/2" for the rear screen on his TD7. If it's too tight a weave it restricts your seeing through it. DB

  7. #7Mobiltech2014-12-04 11:14

    This is what's on a D7 I'm working on

  8. #8stumpjumper832014-12-04 15:35

    make sure to use something fairly tough, I would say 5/16 min wire diameter, especially if your headed to the woods with it. And yes, old screens from a gravel screener are the material of choice.

  9. #9grandpa2014-12-04 19:20

    Boy that guy with the D7 just made his rops worthless by welding on it.

  10. #10Tags2014-12-04 20:02

    This is more of a question, but if it's only welded vertically in the middle of the rops and not all the way across, wouldn't it be ok? Or is any welding on a rops a big no no?

  11. #11stumpjumper832014-12-04 21:17

    msha's opinion... Osha's is worse. (f) Field welding on ROPS shall be performed by welders who are certified by the coal mine operator or equipment distributor as being qualified in accordance with the American Welding Society Structural Welding Code AWS D1.1-73, or Military Standard MIL-STD 248, or the equivalent thereof.

  12. #12Mobiltech2014-12-04 21:37

    Haha what took so long for you guys to spot that. I knew it was coming when I posted it. Actually it's a factory screen group.