OSHA's New Service Truck Crane Rule http://www.equipmentworld.com/you-ma...d-not-know-it Check this link out. It was brought to my attention by our state's Lumbermans Assoc. board member that frequents the lumber yard. Sounds like a lot of confusing jargon & non-sense between if a guy has to be certified or not. Long story short, any telescoping crane truck that lifts between 2,000-14,000LBS needs to be ran by a certified operator. In my business, it states that if you are aiding in the construction or the structure, you have to be certified. But if I just pick & drop lumber, shingles, etc... on the ground, I do not have to be certified. An example they gave: guy must be certified to hoist an AC unit on the rooftop of a building "he is aiding in construction". The same guy & truck can remove that same unit off the roof without being certified. It also appears that they are already pushing the deadline back to Nov. 2017 instead of Jan. 2014. If this passes, that will open up a whole new can of worms I have a feeling. I wonder if I would have to take the same test as the guy that runs a high-rise crane. That is 2 different worlds with different equipment, risks, etc... I was just wondering if any of you guys had heard of this or am I late to the party & also the thoughts/opinions you had on this.
I don't think so. Crane operators have to have a CCO certification. http://nccco.org/ Small telescopic crane, (boom truck, cherry picker) is one test, large hydraulic, crawler, overhead, or tower are different tests. I'm not sure, but I think a knuckle boom truck that delivers materials is something different. So if you have to take a test, it will be a machine similar to what you use, you as a boom truck guy won't have to take a test with a 999 luffing jib or anything like that.
Well, that makes sense. I was hoping that they wouldn't group all operators into 1 category for certification purposes - to make it easier on them. Speaking of which, what exactly do you guys call the type of boom I drive? I have heard them called knuckle booms, but that is what I call the trucks with the small booms that fold into themselves & fit behind the truck's cab (the one's controlled by standing @ the station directly behind the cab)
From the way you describe it, it sounds like a boom truck.
Well, its the truck in my avatar, so I guess people will call it what they will I suppose.
I wasn't sure if that was the rig in question. But, yes I would call that a boom truck.
I know its probably 1/2 the size as what some of you guys run on HEF, but it's the biggest I run, besides an old CAT grader for the township
This might seem like a dumb question but would a mechanic service truck crane come under those types of rules. The link that was put up hit the Equipment World site but the article did not come up.
I apologize if I posted a dead link - I know this one works http://www.equipmentworld.com/you-m...ew-service-truck-crane-rules-and-not-know-it/ Yes, going by this, anything crane that can lift over 2,000lbs falls under this purposed certification mandate.