Just thought I'd post this for reference. http://www.ncloggers.com/Documents/Safety/OSHA Shop Checklist.pdf In 11 years I haven't had a visit. I guess I need to bolt the drillpress down and buy a grinder with a guard, just for show.
Knock on wood. It is just a manner of time before they come visiting. Our corporate head safety official was told by a local official this spring that fall accidents are down due to "their" hard work on enforcing tie off procedures so they are looking at other common and frequent injury producing hazards such as in house shops and portable repair field facilities. They also are in a major campaign on chemicals and products used on projects to write regulations for the future. Storing any product in a can not properly labeled or even in the original container with the warning label covered or not readable is a common citation recently. A plumbing sub got popped for his PVC glue and cleaner containers taped together with duct tape as many do. Cost them $800 after an appeal. Started out at $1500.
It's had to get anything done with osha around.
Kinda puzzled about this one: "101(b) All compressed gas cylinders shall be handled according to Compressed Gas Association Pamphlet P-1-1965 which states that all cylinders will be secured from being knocked over. All flammable gases (acetylene) and accelerants (oxygen) shall be separated by 20' and or a 5' high fire wall equal to 1.5 hours (8"block wall, 2x4 wall with sheet rock on both sides, etc). " Does anyone do this?
The construction industry in Washington State is usually handled by WSHA unless the company comes under federal rule. Mining usually is handled by MSHA, sawmills a long time ago was handled by OSHA but I don't know about that anymore. in over 40 years in the industry I've never dealt with OSHA or WSHA. I dealt with MSHA extensively when I was in that industry. I'm told that unless you have a lost time injury or something that shows up in the news media you have little to worry about. As far as going through the safety book goes, I think it is a great idea and you should be patted on the back for making the effort. Having someone get hurt on my watch was the lowest feeling I've ever had.
oh yeah.... I've seen quite a few of the concrete block walls, and a couple places that simply store fuel gasses at one end of the shop and Oxy at the other. Inert welding gasses they don't care as long as they're secured.
Absolutely. It one of the first thing OSHA will check on site. Legal steel cage that can be handled by crane or forklift cost about $800.00.
Well not sure what MSHA reg's are but I know where our gasses are stored and have been for over 30 years will not come close to the OSHA standards. We get about two MSHA inspections a year and never had a citation for the gasses. We did get a citation for a lead light with a broken bulb in it that was still plugged in. So they are pretty strick and I'm sure they would love to write paper on something like improper gas storage.